Author Topic: Bear encounters  (Read 516 times)

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
Bear encounters
« on: September 02, 2019, 06:34:07 PM »
I've had a couple of encounters with bears in the wild and both ended peacefully w/o confrontation.
Ever since the first one some 40 years ago I've been interested in stories about the largest land predator in North America especially ones where handguns were used in defense.
I came across this thread yesterday and spent the better part of two hours reading the different stories. Each   section is divided by handgun caliber used and a link to the original publication is provided. There are some great and frightening stories here that made me think "Damn could I have done that?"

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/08/handgun-or-pistol-defense-against-bear-attack-73-cases-96-effective/#axzz5wtQI8UPC
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: Bear encounters
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 08:36:47 PM »
There were quite a few pucker factors in that article Alte.

Heres a first hander from 10 years ago:

12 scouts (4 adults) were hiking at Philmont N.M. when a large brown was walking about 50 yards away effortlessly flipping 8-10 on-a-side rocks 10-20 yards each looking for insects.  A few of the scouts thought it might be fun to throw rocks at the bear .....

TXAZ suggested if the bear could effortlessly flip a 40 lb rock 10-20 yards in the air,  what would they look like after the bear took a swipe at them. 
A come to Jesus meeting as the bear stopped and looked back.  They all froze, we all raised our hands and the bear returned to pioneer shotput practice.

Im thinking what I smelled from the back of the pack all the way into the next camp a few miles away was about 4 pair of pretty dirty underwear....
Lesson of the day:  Dont F with Mother Nature.

Offline RaySendero

• Knows How to Use a Holster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 04:46:17 PM »
Refreshing to read actual bear defense stories!

Every study made using 'animals-before-humans' premise,
suggests spray as the best alternative for the bear.

Me - I'll have a rifle.  If buddy with me wants to carry a pistol or bear spray that will be ok.
Ray

Offline TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 07:30:38 PM »
Refreshing to read actual bear defense stories!   ...

Me - I'll have a rifle.  ...

Ditto. Id I think there is a chance of running into a bear, Im hoping Boomer wants to come.  :scream3: