Author Topic: Am I missing something here?  (Read 252 times)

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Am I missing something here?
« on: August 30, 2019, 11:19:12 AM »
IOLA, Tex. (KBTX) -- The Grimes County Sheriff’s Office says there is no threat to Iola ISD after they searched a student for a weapon on the second day of school.

Investigators say on August 22, an old picture of a male student was posted on social media from when he was 9-years-old. The photo that was taken years ago showed the child and an adult shooting in the country with the child holding a pistol.

The Grimes County Sheriff’s Office says the student was immediately pulled out of class, searched, and officials found no weapon on the student. The case has been referred to the Grimes County Attorney’s Office to review for any possible charges.

Iola ISD says they cannot release if there was any punishment for that student.

WTH "referred to the Grimes County Attorney's to review for any possible charges". Someone enlighten me as to what law was broken. The kid has a years old photo of himself posted on bookface or something holding a pistol and someone deemed this a threat?
Over the years I've posted several photos on various websites, including this one, of my grandson and I shooting handguns and long guns at the range. Is this something I should be worried about. Are you guys going to snitch on me?
Iola is a one stoplight town about 30 miles NE of College Station.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Re: Am I missing something here?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 11:37:31 AM »
People have lost their minds lately....

Offline Ranger99

• Owns a Gunbelt
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 01:35:31 PM »
more stoopid bull ess-aaach-eye-tee
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline busykngt

• Professional Target Hanger
  • Ex-Army (former cannon cocker)
    • View Profile
Am I missing something here?
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 03:07:09 PM »
Here’s what’s missing - I mean other than common sense in the application of Red Flag type laws and the “see something, say something” gestapo admonishment we all are being indoctrinated with nowadays.   

That sheriff’s department, after conducting “the investigation” (interrogation), was simply reluctant to mark it, “case closed”.  It’s not unlike corporate America where virtually every decision made, has to be a “committee decision”.  See... once the sheriff’s department turns it over to the county attorney’s office, should something later go wrong, it gives them plausible deniability they weren’t the sole decision marker.  There becomes plenty of people to spread the blame around to - effectively a “committee decision”.  A game of dodgeball where you’re dodging responsibility - that’s the whole end game.  (That includes being on the receiving end of any potential lawsuits from innocent victims).
GOA Lifemember/NRA Endowment member/TSRA/CMP

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 03:26:58 PM »
I guess now you can never post a photo of a kid with a gun on social media

Offline Shield45

• Gun Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 03:42:48 PM »
Snowflakes are taking over.

Whatever shale they do when all of the snowflakes go into meltdown at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 04:13:01 PM »
KBTX, one of the local television stations, always pats themselves on the back for their "in depth" reporting. No background for this piece. I would like to know how this all came about w/o speculating.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline randyjaco

• 5 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 05:23:15 PM »
Alte, that is a damn poor commentary on our society.
Randy
Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again." (Unknown)

"There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box" (Frederick Douglass)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 05:27:31 PM »
If things are exactly as they seem to be in that news story, I feel sorry for that kid.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 05:44:34 PM »
Alte, that is a damn poor commentary on our society.
Randy
It's sad and somewhat scary at the same. San Francisco, New York City, Baltimore I could see this happening but would still be appalled at the "evidence" that was relied on. But Iola Texas?   
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 06:17:50 PM »
It was just on the local newscast at 6:00 p.m.. They claim that the word "school" was somewhere in the picture. They did not specify really if it was a comment or a word in the photo. But the whole thing does sound rather strange.

They said no charges would be filed probably, but the kid was going to be disciplined at school.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2019, 07:19:16 PM »
So the rest of the story. I still call BS but I guess that the kid should be thankful that he wasn't shot by one of the armed  teachers.

IOLA, Tex. (KBTX) - Iola ISD is working to put parents at ease after a student's Facebook post sparked an investigation on the second day of school. The district and law enforcement said there is no threat.
Last week a student made a comment about his school with an older photo of him with a handgun. Investigators say on August 22, an old picture of a male student was posted on social media from when he was 9-years-old. The photo that was taken years ago showed the child and an adult shooting in the country with the child holding a pistol. The Facebook post also mentioned the school with the photo.
"It was a young student, had a handgun in the picture and part of the wording on the picture it had the word "school" in it. So we take that stuff very seriously here. As we investigated we found out the picture was a four-year-old picture," said Scott Martindale, Iola ISD Superintendent.
"The picture had a caption that mentioned school. It did not threaten the school whatsoever it just mentioned the school," he explained.
The district and law enforcement said no gun was found after the boy was questioned.
"It took us five minutes to handle this situation and handle it appropriately," said Martindale. "It was before school started. We had two younger students report something to our elementary principal. By 7:55 the elementary principal tracked that student down that had the posting," he added.

"I believe they took the correct action to protect our children," said Danny Lemley, who has two children in the district.

He's also a new school board member and was part of their safety council.

The district recently adopted a guardian plan to arm some staff.

"It was a hard decision to come to that but the times that we’re having now... It seems to be correct with the times that we need to take precautions to guard our children," Lemley said.

While no threat made to the school, the Grimes County Sheriff's Office said there still was a need to investigate.

"The issue was not that the juvenile had a firearm, he was under adult supervision at the time he had the firearm. The sole reason for the investigation was that the comment was made about the school in conjunction with a firearm," said Lt. Daniel Wagnon, with the Grimes County Sheriff's Office.

"That's another sign of our times. We've got to be extra careful on what we post," said Lemley.

The superintendent said Friday the boy will be disciplined according to district policy. Parents and guardians were notified by the district of that incident.

The County Attorney is also reviewing the case. At this time no charges have been filed.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 09:18:35 PM »
What ever happened to Marvin Zindler Eye Bulging news?   I'm guessing some of the stations can't keep up with his standard of careful, in-depth investigations.

Offline Shield45

• Gun Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2019, 09:24:30 PM »

Seems we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk