Author Topic: Where did 20% come from???  (Read 184 times)

Offline randyjaco

• 5 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
Where did 20% come from???
« on: August 27, 2019, 07:05:42 PM »
You hear stories of how Silicon Valley is attempting to shift political thinking today; and the Environment is one of their big Cause Celeb, along with other mostly left-leaning and Globalist pursuits. I have personally felt that the warnings were a little paranoid and haven't been too concerned. That is until today.

The Media, worldwide, is making a tremendous to-do about the fires in the Amazon. They are screaming that since 20% of the world's oxygen come from the Amazon, something has to be done. Political leaders are ranting at each other. Some are saying that the Amazon region should be Internationalized (I.e. taken from Brazil and surrounding countries). Movie stars are publicly touting large donations to put out the fires and of course, Trump is being shamed for not getting on the bandwagon.
 I have a bit of a scientific background and to me that 20% number just didn't sound right, so I headed to Dr. Google to get some scientific facts. So I Googled "How much of the world’s oxygen is supplied by the Amazon?" Of course, a lot of information immediately popped up. For the first 2 pages, the 20% number was predominant. I started to review the articles and I noticed that none of them were from scientific sources. They quoted politicians, soccer stars, movie stars, etc., Very few scientific types.
The reality is, that it’s closer to 6% and oh- by -the- way, if the entire Amazon disappeared, it wouldn’t be the end of the world. I will cite this story from The Atlantic, which ironically tends to lean to the Left.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/08/amazon-fire-earth-has-plenty-oxygen/596923/
I never did find a real citation for the 20% number.
The whole point here is: If you are looking for true data on a subject, Google is probably not your best source. You may want to pass that fact to your children because they sure won’t learn that in school.

Randy
Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again." (Unknown)

"There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box" (Frederick Douglass)

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Where did 20% come from???
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 08:55:26 PM »
75% of the Amazon fires were started by farmers clearing their fields after harvest. They do this annually and the man made fires are lower this year than in previous years. It was only after DiCaprio and friends posted photo shopped images and outdated photos of the alleged "out of control" fires that it received attention.
Not saying uncontrolled wild fires is a good thing for man made structures but wild fires clear stagnant undergrowth and, in time, encourages new growth.
In 2011 a downed power line started the Bastrop County fire which consumed 34 thousand acres and did over 300 million in property damage. Driving west on Highway 21 just past 290 after the fire, a route I've driven many times, the fire damage to the forest was unbelievable. The State of Texas decided to just let nature take it's course and as you can see in the photos here https://www.google.com/search?q=bastrop+before+and+after+fire&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=pCQ1bpEQ4cngk the recovery is slow but it is recovering.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 01:28:38 AM by Alte Schule »
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 10:53:49 PM »
Controlled land burns are one the best ways to rid the ground of weeds and many of the insects and such that are detrimental to crops and hay. Forrest's many times flourish after a wildfire has swept through them because they burn out all the competing underbrush.

Google is good source to start you in the right direction, but as with anything you find out on the internet, you have to separate the wheat from the chaff and verify the authenticity of the sources of the articles you read.

Well done Randy.  :th_thicon_idea:
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 07:29:55 AM »
of you living in the gulf area who has not seen the results from the annual burning on the Yucatan Peninsula ?

just sayin'
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Online Ceejmo

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • ἀνδρίζομαι
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 07:33:03 AM »
Doesn't an acre of grass produce more oxygen than an acre of trees?
It's hard to free people from the chains of stupidity when they wear them like jewelry.
Freedom or free stuff, you only get one.