Author Topic: Bullets whizzing over your head  (Read 600 times)

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Bullets whizzing over your head
« on: August 24, 2019, 09:53:12 PM »
If you've been under-fire, literally, what was that like, having someone shoot at or over you?  Other than staying low, how did you deal with it then, and any aftereffect now?

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
Re: Bullets whizzing over your head
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 09:24:34 AM »
Having never been under fire before at the time, I wasn't even sure what was happening so I just stood there shifting feet until about the 3rd or 4th chamber; then I realized what the fizzling sound actually was as the bullets went past me. When I figured out they weren't fireworks as I initially thought (I was looking up at the sky instead of down the street), I crouched behind car I happened to be near and got my phone out while peeking through the windows to see if the second salvo would come any closer.

Nothing happened for about half minute, then I heard another six shots (short-barreled .38 revolver by my guess), but this time headed in the opposite direction and farther away; about 2 minutes after that and another 3 minutes after that, I heard another two cylinders' worth of gunfire expended as the individual moved away from my direction fairly quickly through a wooded patch surrounding the community ponds and the exterior of the subdivision. It was about 2:15 AM in the morning, and my neighborhood has gotten super duper bad where crime is concerned these days, so my guess was somebody tried to burglarize the wrong house and the homeowner was tired of all the s***, or somebody came home from the bar up the street drunk and found a guy in bed with his wife.

As for dealing with the psychological after-effects: there weren't any, either then or now. The person doing the shooting wasn't intentionally targeting me (though I realize that doesn't make much difference where getting hit by an errant bullet is concerned), so there wasn't ever the classic "My God, I think they're actually trying to kill me!" moment of epiphany most combat infantrymen get.

Really the only lasting effect it's had on me was to reinforce my sense of frustration that one can't walk to f***ing work in this god awful s***y neighborhood without risking catching a bullet over a lousy $9 an hour as I was making at the time.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 04:42:10 PM by Gilgondorin »

Offline Ranger99

• Owns a Gunbelt
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 03:09:33 PM »
hunting on public land.
i don't remember exactly how many.
one went "ZZZZZZZZZZZZAHZZZZZZZZ! ! ! ! " kinda like
as it went by, about like how a mid-sized rocket type firework
sounds as is takes off.
the other i remember went "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeee. . ."
as it went by very close to my head.

never saw or heard who it was as they skulked away in the opposite
direction as i found my voice to holler out HEYYY! ! !

of course, they didn't have an orange vest or hat on as
required by law. just cammo i'd imagine as i didn't see anyone.

no lasting mental problems for me  :thumbsup1:
if you think about it, this day and age you can get shot up anywhere
you happened to be at, even at church which was unthinkable
when i was younger. no use to sit in a corner and worry and mull over it
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 05:13:49 PM »
I too have been hunting, and have had a couple whizz by. Never that I know of intentionally being sent my direction.

It's an attention getter for sure. Duck and stay low would be the only thing I can think of at the moment.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 03:54:09 PM »
If you've been under-fire, literally, what was that like, having someone shoot at or over you?  Other than staying low, how did you deal with it then, and any aftereffect now?

waited to post - to see responses.....

if you're asking about "combat", with just a couple exceptions I've only seen Vets talk to other Vets who've been in the same outfits or sister outfits about "what went on" - guess that might be considered an "aftereffect"
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 08:03:16 PM »

waited to post - to see responses.....

if you're asking about "combat", with just a couple exceptions I've only seen Vets talk to other Vets who've been in the same outfits or sister outfits about "what went on" - guess that might be considered an "aftereffect"
DITTO.....
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 08:07:20 PM »
Just curious, do angry husbands shooting at you count?  :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_funny:
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline Ranger99

• Owns a Gunbelt
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 02:20:19 PM »
Just curious, do angry husbands shooting at you count?  :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_funny:

^ ^ ^  or angry people who's car you are repossessing ?  . . . .
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline Babbalou1956

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 07:00:53 AM »
I've never been under-fire. I think I heard bullets over my head a few years ago. From a rough area of town, maybe 1/2 miles away I heard "pop pop pop" 6 times & a few seconds later I heard 6 warbly sounding whistles over my head which I think were tumbling bullets. This was about 2:00 am & I've heard it before but not the bullets.
(2) Ruger LCR 38
Ruger 22/45
SIG P290RS
SIG P250 .45
SIG P250 9mm SC
Beretta Pico 380
Taurus 66 .357
Taurus TX22
Marlin 795 .22 rifle

Offline RaySendero

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 07:55:05 AM »
Yep, bullets coming close a few times.  Most by accident.

Once on purpose from long range.
Get a strange feeing when realize its on purpose!
Ray

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 05:30:59 PM »
Had it happen back in my 20's when a dumb ass friend though he was been funny.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline Lone Rider Leather

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
  • Too Damn Old to fight.............with fists
    • View Profile
    • LoneRider Leather
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 10:57:48 PM »
Daily for 14 months, after awhile you think it doesn't bother you, but it does.
"Keep the Change Bob"
"You gonna' pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
"Buzzards gotta' eat, jus like worms"
"Dyin' ain't much of a Livin'"
Happy Trails

Offline Skolnick

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 10:28:50 AM »

I have three not-quite-but-close-enough events.

The first was at Cam Ranh Bay. A bunch of someones tried to enter the base around 3:00 AM and the guards shot the $#!% out of them. I woke up to what sounded like a war going on -- literally.

It lasted about 10 seconds, got eerie quiet for 2 or 3 seconds, then a bunch of shouting, but no more shooting. Somewhere mixed in were lights and sirens. No aftereffect other than gratitude.

The second was being robbed at gunpoint. I was working in a shaky neighborhood in Chicago when approached by a well dressed Black couple. I paid no attention to them until the guy pull out a gun. It was a Beretta 22 or 25, but in seconds it looked like a 12 gauge. He gave orders and my right arm complied without my involvement. It was almost amusing. The adrenaline didn't kick in until after they were gone. No aftereffect other than a feeling of how easily I was caught with my pants down.

The third was a hunting trip to the Shawnee National Forest in Illinois with a groups of LEOs. Two of them, more familiar with the place than I, wore vests with ballistic panels. HOLY CRAP! For at least half an hour after the sun came up on opening day, rounds were incessantly going off in every direction -- and many were way too close.

As for aftereffects, there isn't enough blaze orange in the world that will make me feel safe there. Even though the Shawnee is in southern Illinois, it is over populated with too many hunters from Chicago who have too few places to go. And even on the days following opening day, there are still too many of them who are desperately looking to shoot anything that moves.

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2019, 04:28:27 PM »

I have three not-quite-but-close-enough events.

The first was at Cam Ranh Bay. A bunch of someones tried to enter the base around 3:00 AM and the guards shot the $#!% out of them. I woke up to what sounded like a war going on -- literally.

It lasted about 10 seconds, got eerie quiet for 2 or 3 seconds, then a bunch of shouting, but no more shooting. Somewhere mixed in were lights and sirens. No aftereffect other than gratitude.

The second was being robbed at gunpoint. I was working in a shaky neighborhood in Chicago when approached by a well dressed Black couple. I paid no attention to them until the guy pull out a gun. It was a Beretta 22 or 25, but in seconds it looked like a 12 gauge. He gave orders and my right arm complied without my involvement. It was almost amusing. The adrenaline didn't kick in until after they were gone. No aftereffect other than a feeling of how easily I was caught with my pants down.

The third was a hunting trip to the Shawnee National Forest in Illinois with a groups of LEOs. Two of them, more familiar with the place than I, wore vests with ballistic panels. HOLY CRAP! For at least half an hour after the sun came up on opening day, rounds were incessantly going off in every direction -- and many were way too close.

As for aftereffects, there isn't enough blaze orange in the world that will make me feel safe there. Even though the Shawnee is in southern Illinois, it is over populated with too many hunters from Chicago who have too few places to go. And even on the days following opening day, there are still too many of them who are desperately looking to shoot anything that moves.
[/quot

Where abouts in Ill. are you from , I grew up in DesPlaines .
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline AKM-47

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2019, 09:17:01 PM »
I've had 9mm fly by me from someone giving cover fire and have been near the muzzle of a MP-5 during full auto, even at 8 inches away the flash is horrendous

Offline Skolnick

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2019, 10:13:56 AM »
Where abouts in Ill. are you from , I grew up in DesPlaines .

Originally, Chicago; for the past 35 years, Buffalo Grove. Florida is looking good for the near future!