Author Topic: OPSol 2.0 in Maverick 88 with Mini-shells; function tested today  (Read 490 times)

Offline cporfe

• Supporting Member
  • Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
Went to Shady Oaks range in Cedar Park today to function test my 12 ga. pump gun with the OPSol 2.0 mini-shell adapter.  The adapters only fit Mossberg 500 series and the Maverick 88.  Currently they only make adapters for 12 ga.  They don't work in Remingtons et al because the lifter on those shotguns are solid but the Mossberg 500/88 is skeleton.

So  I ran slugs, which is all you can use at indoor ranges near me.  The Mini-shell slugs fired flawlessly.  No jams what so ever.  I was able to get 8 rounds in my magazine tube.  Not a huge increase in capacity, but with one in the chamber that makes 9 in a regular looking shotgun.

I have the 7.5 shot shells for home defense.  I haven't seen anything other than slugs and 7.5 offered in the minis.  I read somewhere that Remington (?) is producing mini-shells but I haven't seen any at Academy.  As it was, I bought mine at AIM surplus and even with shipping saved about $7 a box plus no tax.

I'm a happy, yet sore, camper since I cranked about 20 rounds though the gun pretty quickly.  And they're accurate at 20 yards.

Just sayin'
Chris
I'm on the 7 day weekend plan.  I'm retired!!

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Re: OPSol 2.0 in Maverick 88 with Mini-shells; function tested today
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 05:03:43 PM »
I understand what the adapter is, and does, but the question I have is this. What purpose does it serve? What are the advantages it offers over using regular sized shells?

I'm not necessarily trying to be a detractor, but as someone who has made their living as a mechanic, fixing mechanical problems, I know that adding a component to something that isn't necessarily needed, equals problems at the worst possible times. If for hunting, I could possibly say maybe, but even though it did work flawlessly at the range, in a SD shotgun, I'm not sure I'd be willing to bet my life on the adapter and using shorter shotgun shells.

Just my take on things. I try to adhere to the KISS philosophy. Keep It Simple Stupid! I apply that to ANY firearms that I may choose to depend upon for a life and death situation.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline cporfe

• Supporting Member
  • Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 09:04:00 PM »
I'm guessing that to most, it means nothing.  But to me, it means a few more rounds in a regular looking shotgun which I can appreciate since I bought a cheaper model and not the 2 to 3 times expensive Remington 870 that has the magazine extension.  But I have a nice Remington 870 and a Winchester 97 clone and few other shotguns too just in case.  So, that is its purpose to me.  Same as me still using a Sig P229R with light as my house gun instead of some polymer gun with a light/laser.  I just prefer....

Chris

Thanks for the inquiry though.  And sorry to see you passed away last week.  (avatar)

I'm on the 7 day weekend plan.  I'm retired!!

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 09:55:25 PM »
I had a Mossberg Shockwave shotgun for awhile. Bought 100 rounds of mixed slug and buckshot mini shells and the adapter which increased the capacity from six to nine. To tell the truth I was underwhelmed and disappointed by the mini shells. They seemed more of a gimmick to me than anything I would use for self defense.I kept it by my nightstand for a few months then sold it all for what I had in it. Replaced it with my trusty Stoeger side x side 12 ga. coach gun loaded with 3 inch magnum 04 buckshot.
That being said I find the Reminton V3 Tac 13 semi auto 12 ga. appealing but not the $900 MSRP. Would like to find a decent used one at half the price.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 12:19:28 AM »
I'm guessing that to most, it means nothing.  But to me, it means a few more rounds in a regular looking shotgun which I can appreciate since I bought a cheaper model and not the 2 to 3 times expensive Remington 870 that has the magazine extension.  But I have a nice Remington 870 and a Winchester 97 clone and few other shotguns too just in case.  So, that is its purpose to me.  Same as me still using a Sig P229R with light as my house gun instead of some polymer gun with a light/laser.  I just prefer....

Chris

Thanks for the inquiry though.  And sorry to see you passed away last week.  (avatar)

Chris, actually you can use the same magazine extensions for the Maverick as you can for the Mossberg 500's. Many parts and accessories that fit 500's, will adapt or fit with minor tweaks on the 88's.

But I can see your point on adding extra capacity using shorter shells. I was just laying out my reasons why I differ in opinion on that, and why I differ.

Peter and I share the same birthday. Yeah, I missed it as well being offline for a week.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 11:30:25 AM »
Edit for my first post on the adapter. Even this adapter after I gave it some thought, wouldn't even be legal for most hunting purposes, since most bird hunting, the shotgun is limited to three rounds legally per hunting regulations.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline AdioSS

• 7 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
    • VEPR.org
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 06:41:53 AM »
Chris, actually you can use the same magazine extensions for the Maverick as you can for the Mossberg 500's.
Considering how the barrel screws into the end of the mag tube, you would need a completely new mag tube and a new barrel to otherwise add rounds to the Maverick or a standard 500.
Cheston