Author Topic: Axxe's Rules For A Gunfight!  (Read 3502 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
Axxe's Rules For A Gunfight!
« on: August 09, 2019, 11:06:21 AM »
This thread is in many ways a light-hearted approach to a very serious factor of life, survival.

My viewpoint has been since as far back as I can remember, surviving a violent encounter, or armed attack. I care nothing about whether the bad guy is shot, killed, injured, or if I completely miss them. That IMO is irrelevant. My one and only goal, is that I and my loved one survive that event, alive and well.

Some people have told me in the past, with my viewpoints that I contradict myself, by having or carrying a gun for self defense, because I think ALL life is sacred, and should be respected, and preserved whenever possible. The contradiction in their opinions? That I'm willing to take a life in defense of myself, my loved ones, or others. Willing to do something isn't always the same thing as wanting to do something. I have prayed many times to God that I never, ever have to use the skills I have learned to take a life in defense of myself or others. I an fully aware that the outcome of such an event could very well lead to someone being killed. I also accept the reality that someone that would perpetrate a criminal, or violent act upon another person has to be accountable for their actions that could possibly lead to them getting killed. The attacker or criminal also has to accept a burden of responsibility for their actions in life.

One of my rules of a gunfight, have a gun! Seems rather simple and it is! Any gun is adequate IMO. Ever a snub-nose 22lr revolver is better than no gun at all. Something beats nothing every day of the week. Now that 22 revolver may not be the best choice for carrying for SD, but it sure does beat a pointy stick! Yes there are much better choices IMO, but that is where a person needs to educate themselves about guns and ammo properly suited for SD purposes. I won't even belabor that topic in this thread.

Another rule of a gunfight, is to have a working gun. Some may be wondering why I would even mention such a thing. Bears talking about, in educating the noobs, and well as those of us who have done this for a number of years, but avoiding complacency. Making sure you have a working gun. Regular practice, with your chosen type of carry ammo, and regular maintenance of your carry pistol need to be taken. Finding a problem, or even potential problem at the range and then addressing that issue, could very well save your life or someone else's life. I believe in Mr. Murphy, and that he likes to butt into people's business at the most inopportune of times, and to totally screw up a person's day! Personally, I would much rather find an issue that needed to be taken care of my convenience, and when it wasn't a critical and possible life and death situation. So with regular practice, inspection and maintenance of my carry pistol, IMO I minimize the appearance of Mr. Murphy!

Some people have the philosophy that we should strive to put the attacker or bad guy down, and kill them, because they are the lowest scum on earth. Regardless, of whether they are the lowest scum or not, NOT one of us has the right to take another person's life. ALL life IMO is sacred. But, I do believe we also have to right to defend ourselves as well. So if I were to be attacked, and just presenting my gun stopped that attack, with no shots being fired, then I feel my gun has done it's job in an acceptable manner.

There are also two lines of thought, on shooting another person in an attack. Some believe we need to shoot to kill, and some are wanting to simply fire warning shots, or wounding the attacke, and not killing them. Neither lines of thought are acceptable or valid IMO. I was taught and adhere to shooting to stop an attacker. Nothing more, nothing less. Yes, there is a very high degree of the chances that someone could die from being shot, but that is not my intended result. I only wish to stop the attack, and only use the necessary force to achieve that result. IMO. those who use the other two lines of thought, have no business in th first place of carrying a gun in public around other people.

This is a very serious subject manner IMO, but at the same time, we should never take things so seriously all the time.

I welcome any comments, suggestions or differences of opinions. Many of the opinions and ideas I have are my own, and I feel they are applicable to my factors of life and seem to work very well for me. That doesn't mean they are the best options or choices for others. YMMV!

Offline TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: Axxe's Rules For A Gunfight!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 08:21:36 PM »
TXAZ Rule for gunfighting:  Never engage at less that 600 yards, 1,000+ is preferable.  (very few have successfully shot that far, and even fewer can hit a 2 MOA target at that distance.)

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 09:19:00 PM »
TXAZ Rule for gunfighting:  Never engage at less that 600 yards, 1,000+ is preferable.  (very few have successfully shot that far, and even fewer can hit a 2 MOA target at that distance.)

But, but, but,........Not everyone has a Boomer TXAZ!  :th_thicon_lol:

Offline TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 10:31:12 PM »

And I thank God for that! :) 
(P.S. TxHillbilly's 6.5 CM's are much more surgical than Boomer at 1,000+ yards.  He's really the guy you don't want to piss off.  But having a BMG round go whizzing by you at 1,000 yards is an unforgettable pucker.)

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 10:40:56 PM »

And I thank God for that! :) 
(P.S. TxHillbilly's 6.5 CM's are much more surgical than Boomer at 1,000+ yards.  He's really the guy you don't want to piss off.  But having a BMG round go whizzing by you at 1,000 yards is an unforgettable pucker.)

Thank God Hillbilly is one of my best friends!  :rocknroll2:

He's a damn good shooter and very knowledgeable.

Offline Lone Rider Leather

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
  • Too Damn Old to fight.............with fists
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 10:24:41 AM »
THERE'S NO RULES FOR A GUNFIGHT
"Keep the Change Bob"
"You gonna' pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
"Buzzards gotta' eat, jus like worms"
"Dyin' ain't much of a Livin'"
Happy Trails

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 11:28:11 AM »

I have to respectfully disagree. Primary and most important rule, survive and live to tell about it.

Offline Lone Rider Leather

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
  • Too Damn Old to fight.............with fists
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 11:52:38 AM »

I have to respectfully disagree. Primary and most important rule, survive and live to tell about it.
not a rule...a given
"Keep the Change Bob"
"You gonna' pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
"Buzzards gotta' eat, jus like worms"
"Dyin' ain't much of a Livin'"
Happy Trails

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 01:56:37 PM »

not a rule...a given

I have to disagree. Many tend to think that carrying a gun is some sort of magical shield that they assume will make them the victor in a gun battle. That assumption could possibly be fatal. Having, or carrying a gun only increases your odds of surviving over not having a gun.

Online DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 05:36:44 PM »

[/quote]

Having, or carrying a gun only increases your odds of surviving over not having a gun.
[/quote]

Provided,,

1.you KNOW how to use it,

2.are WILLING,

3.and GOOD at it.  :th_thicon_idea:

If you don't posses all three,,, probably better you dont carry.  :P

Like txaz,, I'd prefer to engage at +600 yards too.
Problem is,, most LE associate sniping with murder.

So with the distance advantage thing in mind. I drill on maximum range accuarcy shooting with my EDC. 25 and 50 yards is what my range is built at. And if I do my part,  my edc's will hold the 8 inch bull at 50 yards. Lotsa practice is required.

(I also practice point shooting at short range.)

Look at what that retired cop did at the allah art festival.
He engaged and shot those terrorist, with a pistol, at close to 50 yards..  HEAD SHOTS.

A FINE JOB.   :th_thicon_idea:
That's how to do a gun fight,,,,,IF possible.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Txhillbilly

• Can Pack a Range Bag
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 08:21:53 PM »
The #1 rule for a gun fight is don't be the one getting shot!