Author Topic: Owls!  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Ammunition Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Owls!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 04:15:09 PM »
when I was living in Amarillo there was a large piece of property, a field about a mile from my house that was being prepped for housing construction

for a few days in a row a HUGE Great Horned Owl used a tree in my neighbor's yard as his temporary living place while he, no doubt, hunted for Mice that were up-rooted by the "turning" of the soil in that field

watched him with binoculars time and time again.....had "toes"/"talons" that were as long, or longer, than my fingers

oh so majestic a creature
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 08:54:06 PM »
I hear them quite often at night here around the house in the woods. Even on occasion even see them during the day. A couple of weeks ago while over at my father's house, we saw four of them in a tree out in the woods.

Offline Ranger99

• Can Pass the CHL Test
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 03:32:06 PM »
i had a large GHO glide past me about 6 inches from my
nose when i was 15 feet up in a hang-on bow stand one year.
it was totally silent and scared the hooey out of me.

lots of screech owls in this part of the world
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 07:37:17 PM »
I think the majority of the owls we have around this parts are the Barred owls. They are decently sized birds for sure.

Offline AdioSS

• 7 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
    • VEPR.org
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 02:28:32 AM »
I used to see them all the time at my old job where I got to drive around a lot at night.
Cheston

Offline Lrdplatypus

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • I'm the Lord of the Platypi. Seriously.
    • View Profile
    • The Platypus Manifesto
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 01:02:13 PM »
I have a Red Shouldered Hawk nest in my backyard, I should post some photos later when I get home.
I have a few guns.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt

"...for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." II Timothy 1:12

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 10:05:33 PM »
It's crazy how such a relatively small creature can hoot as loud as they do.

There was one that used to do the 'Batman' thing and hang out on the corner of the rooftop of a U-HAUL storage shed place next to this big empty field only a couple hundred yards from this factory I used to work at.

Since our shift started early in the mornings and I walked to work it would often yell at me to get off its lawn; even though I would guess it was probably only about a foot and a half tall, that sucker was still as loud or possibly louder at 50 yards than I probably could be with training from an opera singer.

No idea what species it was though because it was pitch black of course; for the longest time I thought it was just an air vent on the roof until I started noticing some nights it was there and then some nights it wasn't.

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 06:03:18 AM »
i had a large GHO glide past me about 6 inches from my
nose when i was 15 feet up in a hang-on bow stand one year.
it was totally silent and scared the hooey out of me.

lots of screech owls in this part of the world

I was reading about owls some time back, and the design of their wing feathers allows for near silent flying.

I have been seeing a large one pretty regular lately. I see it on the other side of the property two or three times a week.

Offline AKM-47

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 07:47:38 PM »
There's one that made a home in one of my oak trees and it's the size of a condor

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 11:31:01 PM »
I heard one outside about a week ago. 1st one in   a couple years.

He only came the one night. But he sat beside the house for several hours. I figured he was looking for a cat dinner.
I have a large street light out in my lawn.

Once years ago,, a large great horned owl  sat on the pole the light was on for a couple weeks, every night.

I finaly wanted to get a good look at him, and went out and hit him with a flashlight just to see him.  He was huge. And he also never came back. I guess he didnt like the flashlight.

We got screech owls too. They're little,, about the size of a Robin.  They can make the hair on your neck stand up if you dont know what made the noise. Lol.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline AKM-47

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 10:32:34 AM »
Once years ago,, a large great horned owl  sat on the pole the light was on for a couple weeks, every night.

Any idea of the wing span

The one in my oak tree has about (guessing- comparing it to the size of the trunk of the tree) a 4 - 4.5 foot wing span

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 12:15:00 PM »
The large owl that I have been seeing for the last several months, I would guess his wingspan at about 3.5 to 4 feet.

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 01:43:23 PM »

Any idea of the wing span

The one in my oak tree has about (guessing- comparing it to the size of the trunk of the tree) a 4 - 4.5 foot wing span

I never seen his wing Span. He sat there looking back at me.  He musta flew off after I went back in the house.
His body looked to be over 2 feet. I almost couldn't guess how big he really was. I was down on the ground about 20 yards away.

The biggest bird I ever seen was a Golden Eagle. I was in northern California by Mount Shasta dam.
He was sitting on a piece of telephone pole fence post about 25 feet away. His body was over 3 feet high. His talons were bigger than my fingers. His feet larger than my hands. And I know his wingspan was well over 7 feet.

That was a big freaking bird right there. He was watching an old rest area.  When someone in a car would pull in and let their little dog out to potty,,, all the feathers on his neck would stand up. I think he may have "worked" that area before. Lunch time. When I went to pull out the camera I had in  the big truck,, he flew off.

He was huge. We have Bald Eagles here at home. He was Way bigger than any Bald Eagle I ever seen. He was well over 3 feet sitting there. Maybe closer to 4.

It's no wonder the mongols use Golden Eagles to hunt siberian wolves. Look up those vids.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 11:35:11 PM »
I think I found my owl's nest in the woods. It's huge! Pretty close to the power line ROW where I usually see him flying from.

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 08:03:30 PM »
Seems we have a couple of large owls not far from the house. I am seeing them quite regular. I'm pretty sure with the abundant supply of squirrels and rabbits, they have plenty to dine on!