Author Topic: Over heard a interesting question  (Read 968 times)

Offline AKM-47

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
Over heard a interesting question
« on: July 12, 2019, 08:20:44 PM »
I was just at Cabela's to get a couple of boxes of Blazer 9mm ammo that's on sale for $8.97 when I over heard someone asking if any of the (budget) rifles like the Savage Axis 308 or Ruger America 308 in a SHTF/sniper situation could be used to good effect

It sounded like he was comparing them to a R700

I believe the question he was trying to ask is …. in a pinch can a budget rifle be used as a true sniper rifle or is it to cheap for that

Online TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: Over heard a interesting question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 08:52:22 PM »
“Something” is better than “Nothing”.
The problem with SHTF scenarios is the parameters of the scenario are more important than what rifle or pistol you have:
What and where are your perimeters?
What threats are you protecting against?
How long do your stores have to last?
Mutual aid considerations?
Etc, etc.
The answers to these and 100 other questions determine what are reasonable weapons choices.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 09:28:37 PM »
Essentially, any rifle if accurate enough and depending upon the distances could be pressed into service as a "sniper" rifle.

My thoughts? First of all, IMO, 95% of most rifles a person can buy, are more accurate than 95% of the people who will be shooting them.

Second, try and pin down these people on what type of SHTF event they are talking about. Most of them are fruitcakes and conspiracy theorists that IMO are too dangerous to be around guns in the first place. 95% of them are not playing with a full deck to begin with.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Online RaySendero

• Knows How to Use a Holster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 12:37:36 PM »
Its almost like if that "someone" has to ask that question,
They may not be capable of understanding the answer.
Ray

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
Over heard a interesting question
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 07:56:21 PM »
Depends.
You plan to snipe from a mile away or from across the street.

Most snipers are shooting long distances so most commercially available rifles would fall well short of doing the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AKM-47

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 08:25:15 PM »

Second, try and pin down these people on what type of SHTF event they are talking about. Most of them are fruitcakes and conspiracy theorists that IMO are too dangerous to be around guns in the first place. 95% of them are not playing with a full deck to begin with.

There are some who aren't playing with a full deck, but maybe they are serious about being ready and can't afford a R700 or above

If you knew for sure you weren't going to wreak your car you wouldn't need auto insurance or you knew for sure your house wasn't going to catch fire or be destroyed in a storm you wouldn't need home insurance or even flood insurance, but we have it anyway just in case

I believe they want some insurance and can't afford the high end stuff

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 11:21:47 PM »

There are some who aren't playing with a full deck, but maybe they are serious about being ready and can't afford a R700 or above

If you knew for sure you weren't going to wreak your car you wouldn't need auto insurance or you knew for sure your house wasn't going to catch fire or be destroyed in a storm you wouldn't need home insurance or even flood insurance, but we have it anyway just in case

I believe they want some insurance and can't afford the high end stuff

Most these people, think a SHTF event is going to be like something from the movies or TV. It won't be. It will be nothing but anarchy and chaos. There will be dead bodies littering the streets form starvation and disease. Some idiots will say they are heading to the mountains or woods to "bug-out". Forgetting that another few million idiots are thinking the same thing. Probably about 95% of them have never camped out for more than a couple days at most, and are now going to head to the mountains or woods, and live off the land and harvest game to survive? Doubtful IMO.

Now this SHTF event. How long is it lasting? A couple of weeks, or months or years? Short term, or long term? What are the circumstances of what caused the SHTF event? Natural disaster? Man-made disaster? War? Disease or viral, or bacterial? Collapse of society or the economy?

And yes, I do prep to some degree. I have a generator. We have lots of canned goods. I keep gasoline on habd for the generator. Back when Hurricane Rita came to Texas, we were only affected indirectly of losing our power for over 12 days. I toughed it out the entire time. Cooked on my grilles. Moved quite a bit of the frozen and cold foods to coolers. Had the generator to power fans and a few lights. The wife stood it about three days and went to town and stayed with her sister! It was almost like camping out for me. After about three days there was no hot water because no electricity, so it didn't take long to take a cold shower! But we still had running water.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."

Online TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 11:52:17 PM »

Most these people, think a SHTF event is going to be like something from the movies or TV. It won't be. It will be nothing but anarchy and chaos. There will be dead bodies littering the streets form starvation and disease. Some idiots will say they are heading to the mountains or woods to "bug-out".

There is actually significant history on what urban SHTF looks like from many such events in the last 100 years:
Predictable ignorance the first day or two if the power is up.
Early store looting if not.
Curfew and martial law spreads.
Sooner or later power becomes unreliable. (And most every other deliverable).
As food and supply stores dwindle, citizens’ apprehension grows and more looting of stores and non-overtly protected homes start.  “Going to the mountains” is generally not an option as fuel and access may be limited, and most people don’t have a second property.
As logistics falter, martial law becomes less effective, but ad hoc neighborhood  protection groups grow, often dishing out instant justice for serious offenses.

Etc etc.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 12:23:10 AM »

Most these people, think a SHTF event is going to be like something from the movies or TV. It won't be. It will be nothing but anarchy and chaos. There will be dead bodies littering the streets form starvation and disease. Some idiots will say they are heading to the mountains or woods to "bug-out".

There is actually significant history on what urban SHTF looks like from many such events in the last 100 years:
As food and supply stores dwindle, citizens’ apprehension grows and more looting of stores and non-overtly protected homes start.  “Going to the mountains” is generally not an option as fuel and access may be limited, and most people don’t have a second property.
As logistics falter, martial law becomes less effective, but ad hoc neighborhood  protection groups grow, often dishing out instant justice for serious offenses.

Etc etc.

Exactly! It won't be like any movie or TV program. There ain't going to be any heroes, just those trying to survive and those dead or dying.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline AKM-47

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 09:52:48 PM »

Etc etc.

Exactly! It won't be like any movie or TV program. There ain't going to be any heroes, just those trying to survive and those dead or dying.

Those with some sort of military and/or survival training will have the best chance to survive and continue on

I have military and survival training
I also have been studying weapons and tactics sense I was a kid …. IF …. it comes to that I will be able to put my training and knowledge to use

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 12:19:21 PM »

Etc etc.

Those with some sort of military and/or survival training will have the best chance to survive and continue on

I have military and survival training
I also have been studying weapons and tactics sense I was a kid …. IF …. it comes to that I will be able to put my training and knowledge to use

I fully suspect that some are very well trained in such things. But I would also suspect the vast majority of those who spout off about "prepping" or about a SHTF event and being equipped for one are idiots, that are more than likely nothing more than a bunch of "Tactical Timmy's" that THINK they are prepared for such things happening. Mt prediction? They won't last a week if a SHTF event happened before they were dead.

Personally, I hope something like this never happens. But, if it did, the best thing I know I have is not the equipment, the guns, or the supplies I have in keeping myself or my family alive and to survive, but my brain, ny knowledge and experiences, and common sense. IF, and huge IF, a SHTF event happened, I believe those people that live more in a rural way of life would be better adapted at surviving. People that know how to grow a garden, how to hunt for game, to raise their own livestock, and those who are not as dependent upon technology and such. People who live closer to the ways of our parents, grandparents and great grandparents are those I believe that would stand a better chance of surviving and overcoming.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.