Author Topic: APX Experience  (Read 296 times)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
APX Experience
« on: July 02, 2019, 04:36:22 PM »
I bought a APX Centurion recently, for less than $300 after the rebate. I just took my 2nd range trip with the gun. Learned a few things...

On my first range trip, I kept shooting low. At first, I figured that I just needed to adjust to shooting a striker fired gun again (I like DA/SA the most). But, when I got home, I did some dry firing, and I noticed something...

Since the front dot on the APX is larger than the rear dots, I noticed that I was putting the front sight lower when I was trying to line up the dots. A friend suggested that I black out the rear sight with either a sharpee or black tape.

I ended up putting 2 small pieces of electrical tape over the rear dots. And, today was my attempt to give that a shot. That TOTALLY fixed my issue. No more shooting low.

Now, I do admit that I prefer 3 dot sights over a blacked out rear - so, I kinda wish all 3 dots on the sights were the same size. But, I can get used to it.

And, while I have small hands - putting the large backstrap on the gun stopped me from shooting to the left.

So, with the combo of the large backstrap and the blacked out rear sight, the gun shoots very well. It felt better in my hand with the large backstrap as well.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: APX Experience
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 05:01:48 PM »
hmmmmm - if ya like a 3 dot set-up why couldn't you, instead of blacking out the rear 2 dots, down-size the front dot ?  yeah/no ?
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 05:27:01 PM »
hmmmmm - if ya like a 3 dot set-up why couldn't you, instead of blacking out the rear 2 dots, down-size the front dot ?  yeah/no ?

How do you make a front dot smaller? Without butchering it and making it look bad?

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 06:18:10 PM »
shucks, you made the rear dots a hell of a lot smaller - you figure it out
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 08:04:22 PM »
Covering the rear dots with tape is much easier. The other option isn't really possible.

This is fine.

They make night sights for the gun, and they are all the same size dots. However, I don't know if I wanna spend the $ on that. MAYBE, I'll switch form DA/SA for carry one day. If I did, then I'd spring for the night sights.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 09:30:26 PM by Shipwreck »

Offline Axxe55

• Progressive Reloader
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 09:01:17 PM »
Tango, the comedian!  :rocknroll2:
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Lrdplatypus

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • I'm the Lord of the Platypi. Seriously.
    • View Profile
    • The Platypus Manifesto
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 11:59:34 AM »
Your best option for changing the size of the front sight is to buy after market.

I have Trijicon HD sights on my glock, which are basically the same as what you ended up with after blacking out the rear sights. Large front dot and blacked out rear.
I have a few guns.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt

"...for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." II Timothy 1:12

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 01:05:26 PM »
Your best option for changing the size of the front sight is to buy after market.

I have Trijicon HD sights on my glock, which are basically the same as what you ended up with after blacking out the rear sights. Large front dot and blacked out rear.

Yes, I plan to get the Ameriglo night sights. I think it is called the Ameriglo Bold sights. Orange circle around the front tritium, and two dots in the rear.

I saw them already installed on a Glock 48 at the local gunstore a week or so ago, and I like the way they look a lot

Offline cporfe

• Supporting Member
  • Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 08:17:46 PM »
I took my APX compact to the range too.  I agree with Shipwreck that even though my hands are small, I'm going to change out the backstrap.  The gun felt okay, but just not great.  Thanks for sharing your adventures!

Chris
I'm on the 7 day weekend plan.  I'm retired!!