Author Topic: The Greatest News!  (Read 265 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
The Greatest News!
« on: June 29, 2019, 10:56:35 PM »
Well Friday evening, the wife called me from her doctor's appointment in Dallas. The greatest news we could ever hear, she it totally cancer free as of now!

Long story short. Early last year, the wife was having some medical issues. She found out she had a mass about the size of a softball inside her colon. They did some biopsies and found it to be cancerous. In late July she had surgery to remove the mass, and surgery went well. But she was still showing some traces of cancer so for about six months, she had to do chemo treatments to get rid of what was left. She finished up in April. She was feeling much better, and she responded well to the treatments. Early June she had a follow-up visit in Dallas with her surgeon, and he was very positive at the results of those tests. He scheduled her for another colonoscopy Friday morning in Dallas and wanted to see the results inside and follow up with some other tests to make a conclusive diagnosis of her cancer. It went very well. She has been declared cancer free by her surgeon as of yesterday!

The last year or more have been very stressful for both of us. I attribute maybe my little episode last Wednesday might have been partly because of that stress and my issues with high-blood pressure. I also try to tend to push myself further than maybe I should physically to try and cope with the stress of her medical issues, and in some ways, trying to put it at the back of my mind. Sometimes tending to overlook taking better care of myself and trying to keep up a brave front for her.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: The Greatest News!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 11:39:12 PM »
Congrats to you and your wife Axxe.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 07:02:55 AM »
can't imagine what good news that must be for your Wife and for you too

knock on wood, we haven't gone thru that (lately)
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 08:14:45 AM »
Glad to hear the news!

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 12:38:49 PM »
Much appreciated guys.  :th_thicon_idea:

She was really lucky in many respects, as it was detected in time, and the prognosis was good from the start. She had a world class surgeon that specialized in that type of surgery. When they did the surgery, they also did 26 biopsies, and only one showed a trace of cancer, so that was the reason for the chemo treatments. And they didn't have to resort to any aggressive chemo treatments, so the side-effects were minimal for her for the most part. She kept a positive and upbeat attitude through the whole ordeal, which I believe helped a bunch. Lots of support from family and friends through it all as well.

The hardest part, was she lost her older brother about 12 years ago to the same type of cancer. He was only 48 years old. If they had caught her brother's cancer a year or two years earlier, there is a good possibility he would still be here with us today.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 01:04:00 PM »
My mother has a problem with colon cancer all the time. She keeps getting colonoscophies every 3 years. Her mother died from colon cancer too.

I just had a colonoscophy a month ago or so. I am 47 now. They found something and removed it before it became cancerous. Now, I have to do the test every 3 years now too. That will be a damn lotta colonoscopy tests to come  :facepalm:

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 01:11:25 PM »
My mother has a problem with colon cancer all the time. She keeps getting colonoscophies every 3 years. Her mother died from colon cancer too.

I just had a colonoscophy a month ago or so. I am 47 now. They found something and removed it before it became cancerous. Now, I have to do the test every 3 years now too. That will be a damn lotta colonoscopy tests to come  :facepalm:

It is a lot of tests. But early detection is the biggest factor in being able to beat cancer. Cancer research and treatment has come a long way over the years. About 45 years ago, my grandfather passed away from cancer of the colon. The survival rate of colon cancer back then was less than 20%. Today, it's over 80%. That is huge improvement.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 06:28:35 PM »
Axxe , glad to hear that your wife is doing good.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.