Author Topic: Heat Advisory!  (Read 3101 times)

Online Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Heat Advisory!
« on: June 26, 2019, 04:04:01 PM »
Guys, a warning about the heat and humidity outside. It's getting hotter, and with all the rain we have been having, the humidity is way higher than normal.

Some may be thinking, well it is Texas, and this is common knowledge. Yes, and I agree. Well, working outside yesterday, in the heat, but in the shade while trying to clear some more fenceline, I was working in the latter part of day when I assumed it would be a slight bit cooler. I ended up last night in the ER with heat exhaustion and chest pains. I had been sweating profusely, but thought I was drinking enough water to stay hydrated. I was wrong. Even as much as I was drinking, I must have been sweating way more. They had to run an IV to replenish me because I was mildly dehydrated. I also got nauseated, and light-headed. Part of the reason I ended up deciding to go to the ER, was I do have some issues with high-blood pressure and take medication for it, and with the chest pains, I was fearful that I had over-exerted myself and was having another heart-attack, like I had some eleven or twelve years ago. Luckily, I didn't from what the tests were showing. But they cautioned me to take it a bit easier outside in the heat.

I know some of you are older guys like myself, and some even older. So be careful out there working and stay safe. Stay cool, drink lots of water and pace yourself. Work in the earlier hours of the day or in the later evening if possible to use the cooler parts of the day to your advantage.

Online TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: Heat Advisory!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 04:18:33 PM »
Glad you're better Axxe.

Online Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 05:41:54 PM »
Glad you're better Axxe.

Thanks TXAZ. I'm feeling much better than yesterday, but still not at 100% yet. Going to slow down and stay cool for a couple of days, and recuperate.

Heat exhaustion can sneak up on us. I thought I was taking proper steps to combat it, but still, it can happen.

Offline Shield45

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 06:49:22 PM »
One thing Axxe drink some Gatorade as well as water. Replenish the electrolytes as well as hydrate.

I know what ya are saying Ive been there. Never to hospital but know I was experiencing the effects.

Now on the land I hit it early 7 or so and go til 12-1ish.
Break and shade/cool off and minor exertion til after 6 or so then go til darkish.

I am 58 btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 07:05:59 AM »
yes, glad you're ok - take it easy and recover fully

news this morning showed "normal" rain for Tyler @ 23" - they've had 35.82"

my Wife and I took off a couple of days  from fence building (did "other stuff", like going and buying more lumber and another steel stock gate) but got back with it yesterday (and will again today)

yes, it's not only extremely hard work but it's doubly so in this heat - we started in the sun, on purpose, then moved to an area in the shade - Wife fixes a portable fabric "cooler" and it's loaded with ice water - we pause and take breaks often (man/woman-handling those 2x6x20' treated boards is hard work !)

yesterday I could feel when I reached my limit so I quit and came in to the AC'd house - she stayed and drove 4" wood screws for another 45 minutes - then she too came inside

then both of us went for a swim in the Cement Pond and had a really good "cool down"

(by the way, we got another good rain shower around 6pm last evening)
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline ArmedTexan

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 11:45:55 PM »
Its been a nice mid 70s to mid 80s here in the Houston area, Ive had 6.5 inches of rain the last 3 days.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Online Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 02:44:03 PM »
One thing Axxe drink some Gatorade as well as water. Replenish the electrolytes as well as hydrate.

I know what ya are saying Ive been there. Never to hospital but know I was experiencing the effects.

Break and shade/cool off and minor exertion til after 6 or so then go til darkish.

I am 58 btw.

Shield the wife usually keeps me stocked up Gatorade, but alas, I wasn't drinking any that day. Most days, I usually try to hit it early before it gets too hot, and slack off during the hotter parts of the day and waiting until later in the evening when it's cooled down a bit. But still it can sneak up on you. One minute you seem okay and the next, not so great. I'm not far behind you at 56!  :wave1:

Offline Shield45

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 03:44:59 PM »

I am 58 btw.

Shield the wife usually keeps me stocked up Gatorade, but alas, I wasn't drinking any that day. Most days, I usually try to hit it early before it gets too hot, and slack off during the hotter parts of the day and waiting until later in the evening when it's cooled down a bit. But still it can sneak up on you. One minute you seem okay and the next, not so great. I'm not far behind you at 56!  :wave1:
Thats what Ill be doing this weekend
Heading to the property this evening. Hopefully I can finish the field shredding so I can get back to other projects like moving and improving my back stop on the range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 04:15:07 PM »
Axxe - what was the final diagnosis for what got you into the emergency room ?

Online Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 08:58:28 PM »
Axxe - what was the final diagnosis for what got you into the emergency room ?

The chest pains were what convinced me to go to the ER. I have had some high-blood pressure issues for over twenty years and have been on medication for it. Pretty much a combination of factors, that maybe I was having another heart attack. They gave me a prescription for Potassium tablets, and a different one for high-blood pressure. My blood pressure was a bit on the high side at the ER.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 07:13:15 AM »
on BP meds here too.....talked to the VA doc about my dizzy spells - they gave me an EKG at the Tyler facility and the doc set up an appt at the VA hospital in dallas for a stress test (10 july)

old guys havta watch out for ourselves.....

Offline Ranger99

• Can Pass the CHL Test
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 02:14:53 PM »
i used to have some of these bandana-looking neck wraps
that had little pellets inside that swelled when you soaked
them in cool water, then you tied it around your neck and
it would genuinely keep you fairly cool as the water evaporated.
they pretty much gave out a few years back, and i found
some of those blue "cooling towels" on sale for a couple of dollars
apiece, and can say for sure they work pretty well. they're
just too short the long way to tie around my neck like those
bandana doo-dads. but it does work pretty good to help keep
from falling out when that sun is beating down on you.
pretty much a must for mowing around these parts along
with a big straw hat.
i forgot mine this last week, and had to use an old fashioned
wet towel around the neck while guiding the tractor around
the oven, i mean hay meadow  :afraid4:

yall drink water when out and about instead of cold drinks
and booze. i've already been to the hospital more times than i care to.
screw all that  :thumbsdown:
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Online Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 09:53:09 AM »
I use to think the heat was getting worse every year in East Texas, but I think it's me being more sensitive to the heat and humidity!

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 11:48:01 AM »
understand that.....40lb bags of redi-crete weigh more and more with each passing year

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 12:23:14 PM »
you perhaps recall that I bought a Stihl Lawn Edger a short time ago - well I've been putting it to good use

for the past couple of days I've been edging down my driveway curbing - then when the edging is done I follow up with the weedeater - then leaf-rake and bag all the larger clippings - that is followed by using the leaf blower to make the final cleaning

might not sound like a 2 day job to most.....until you realize that's 1110.5' of curbing (just wheel-measured it when I walked to get today's mail.....)

but still have the concrete walk to do (from the garage area to the front door) - I'm tired and hot so cooling off inside under the AC vents

(there are some dark-looking clouds to the south, blowing this way - a little sprinkle, maybe ?)

Online Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2019, 03:01:25 PM »
That's a lot of edging Tango. We just got a gentle rain about an hour ago. lasted about thirty minutes. Cooled it off just a bit.

Online Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2019, 03:14:08 PM »
understand that.....40lb bags of redi-crete weigh more and more with each passing year

I do good to lift a 50 lb. bag of dog good!  :help:

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2019, 03:59:53 PM »
last bags of redi-crete were the 80 pounders - won't be gettin' those anymore   :help:

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2019, 07:03:47 PM »
I see I'm not the only one with a health scare this past week. Glad to see you recovered. 90 degree heat and 100% humidity will zap you quick.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Online Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2019, 08:51:01 PM »
I see I'm not the only one with a health scare this past week. Glad to see you recovered. 90 degree heat and 100% humidity will zap you quick.

Thanks Alte. I'm feeling better. Just have to take it a bit slower in this heat. But it seems like the older I get the quicker the zap comes now.