Author Topic: Logic, Reason, Or Common Sense?  (Read 361 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Progressive Reloader
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Logic, Reason, Or Common Sense?
« on: June 25, 2019, 12:42:22 AM »
Borrowed this from a buddy off another forum, and read through it, and how much sense he made with his observations.

Is Logic The Same Thing As Common Sense?

1 - Eleven teens die each day because of texting while driving. Maybe it's time to raise the age of smart phone ownership to 21.

2 - If gun control laws actually worked, Chicago would be Mayberry, USA.

3 - The Second Amendment makes more women equal than the entire feminist movement.

4 - Legal gun owners have 300 million guns and probably a trillion rounds of ammo. Seriously, folks, if we were the problem, you'd know it.

5 - When JFK was killed, nobody blamed the rifle.

6 - The NRA murders 0 people and receives $0 in government funds. Planned Parenthood kills 350,000 babies every year and receives $500,000,000 in tax dollars annually.

7 - I have no problem with vigorous background checks when it comes to firearms. While we're at it, let's do the same when it comes to immigration, Voter I.D and candidates running for office.

8 - You don't need a smoke detector; that's what the fire department is for. Now...if you think that sounds stupid, you know how I feel when you say I don't need a gun.

9 - Folks keep talking about another Civil War. One side knows how to shoot and probably has a trillion bullets. The other side is crying inside closets and is confused about which bathroom to use. Now tell me, how do you think that's going to end?

Don’t be afraid to share this. There’s more logic and common sense expressed here than probably anything you’ve seen on the news today
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: Logic, Reason, Or Common Sense?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 08:41:20 AM »
Borrowed this from a buddy off another forum, and read through it, and how much sense he made with his observations.

Is Logic The Same Thing As Common Sense?

1 - Eleven teens die each day because of texting while driving. Maybe it's time to raise the age of smart phone ownership to 21.

2 - If gun control laws actually worked, Chicago would be Mayberry, USA.
It does work, if you use “Chicago math”. 

3 - The Second Amendment makes more women equal than the entire feminist movement.

4 - Legal gun owners have 300 million guns and probably a trillion rounds of ammo. Seriously, folks, if we were the problem, you'd know it.

sounds like 1Trillion / 300Million - 3,300 rounds each. Sounds like a low average number around here...

5 - When JFK was killed, nobody blamed the rifle.

That’s because most people can’t say or spell "Mannlicher–Carcano" correctly.

6 - The NRA murders 0 people and receives $0 in government funds. Planned Parenthood kills 350,000 babies every year and receives $500,000,000 in tax dollars annually.

7 - I have no problem with vigorous background checks when it comes to firearms. While we're at it, let's do the same when it comes to immigration, Voter I.D and candidates running for office.

And all elected and appointed politicians.

8 - You don't need a smoke detector; that's what the fire department is for. Now...if you think that sounds stupid, you know how I feel when you say I don't need a gun.

Actually that’s backwards:  For the same reason you need a smoke detector and fire extinguisher, you need an alarm and weapon to remain safe until help arrives.

9 - Folks keep talking about another Civil War. One side knows how to shoot and probably has a trillion bullets. The other side is crying inside closets and is confused about which bathroom to use. Now tell me, how do you think that's going to end?

I really hope and pray people don’t think like that. We as a country have enough serious problems to deal with. 

Don’t be afraid to share this. There’s more logic and common sense expressed here than probably anything you’ve seen on the news today

Offline Ranger99

• 7 Yard Shooter
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 02:38:00 PM »
as far as phone use in cars go, i've always advocated for
combining the technologies of car air bags with bank
robbery dye packs into all cellular phones so that when
an automobile accident happens, the person using a
phone will have the side of their head coated with red
indelible dye and it'll be very easy to see who wasn't paying
 the required attention while driving.
i don't know of anyone who could raise an objection to that
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline Axxe55

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 03:44:52 PM »
Ranger, the only people that would object, are the idiots you would want painted with dye packs!   :bangheadonwall:

Personally, I think it's a great idea!  :rocknroll2:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Shield45

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 04:05:03 PM »
We gripe about cell phone use in cars. Yet we build cars that have 6in video navigation screens and pair up to your cell when you get in car.

Illogical and irresponsible if you ask me as automakers are basically perpetuating the problem.

Amazes me that in the era before phones we happily drove off to get away from the phone now we fly off the handle if we cant find or use our phones every minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Army 1911

• Military
  • 3 Yard Shooter
  • 1911 Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 07:08:31 PM »

Don't  most pbones have a setting that doesn't  allow them to be used if travelling in a car? I  think it's  bosed on the GPS  signal moving.  Just make it mandatory for all phones with  no off setting.
A well balanced breakfast, being necessary to the health of the nation, the right of the people to keep an eat cereal shall not be infringed.  Now who gets the ceral, the breakfast or the people?
Sure I'll shoot your Glock.  Just hang it with the rest of the targets.

Offline Axxe55

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 02:40:11 PM »
You would think that with all the "accidents" involving people using cell phones while driving, or texting, and the number of people that have been killed because of such behaviour that these people would wake up and realize the deadly dangers involved doing such things. But no, they don't. They continue to perpetrate the same behaviour and still people are dying.

I put it up there with the same reckless behaviour as drunk driving. The results and tragedy are the same. I think that it should be a federal law against texting and driving. 1st offense: DL suspended for a year. An accident involved for first 1st offense should be a five year suspension. 2nd offense: DL suspended for five years. Accident involved for second offense: Lifetime DL suspension. 3rd offense: Lifetime suspension of DL. Accident involved for 3rd offense: Five years in prison.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline randyjaco

• Professional Target Hanger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 08:53:43 PM »
You would think that with all the "accidents" involving people using cell phones while driving, or texting, and the number of people that have been killed because of such behavior that these people would wake up and realize the deadly dangers involved doing such things. But no, they don't. They continue to perpetuate the same behavior and still, people are dying.

I put it up there with the same reckless behavior as drunk driving. The results and tragedy are the same. I think that it should be a federal law against texting and driving. 1st offense: DL suspended for a year. An accident involved for first 1st offense should be a five-year suspension. 2nd offense: DL suspended for five years. The accident involved for the second offense: Lifetime DL suspension. 3rd offense: Lifetime suspension of DL. The accident involved for 3rd offense: Five years in prison.

Good idea,  but what about the passengers? I'd just as soon have them busy with their phones than have them yammering in my ears while I'm driving
Randy
Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again." (Unknown)

"There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box" (Frederick Douglass)

Offline Axxe55

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 02:21:16 PM »
You would think that with all the "accidents" involving people using cell phones while driving, or texting, and the number of people that have been killed because of such behavior that these people would wake up and realize the deadly dangers involved doing such things. But no, they don't. They continue to perpetuate the same behavior and still, people are dying.

I put it up there with the same reckless behavior as drunk driving. The results and tragedy are the same. I think that it should be a federal law against texting and driving. 1st offense: DL suspended for a year. An accident involved for first 1st offense should be a five-year suspension. 2nd offense: DL suspended for five years. The accident involved for the second offense: Lifetime DL suspension. 3rd offense: Lifetime suspension of DL. The accident involved for 3rd offense: Five years in prison.

Good idea,  but what about the passengers? I'd just as soon have them busy with their phones than have them yammering in my ears while I'm driving
Randy

My only concern is the driver. The person holding the steering wheel, and driving the vehicle from point "A" to point "B".

The only problem with technology that would effectively "shut down" a cell phone or smart device when GPS detected that it was moving, is that even passenger's in the vehicle, along with the driver would experience their phone's shutting down.

The only enforcement of my "proposals" would be of the "old-fashioned" manner of an LE officer observing a violation, or if an accident were involved, after the fact. Done in pretty much the same manner as in if DWI were suspected cause of an accident.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Ranger99

• 7 Yard Shooter
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 02:04:14 PM »
maybe i'm just kinda prejudiced for working at new car
dealers for so many decades, but i can say for sure that
we have all those distractive options on cars at the behest
of the new car buyer.
there wouldn't be any navigation b.s. or interactive boo-hoo
b.s. if folks weren't clamoring for it by the millions.
keeping up with the joneses and all that.
we've had lots of practical and durable vehicles and powertrains
over the years, and people always discard them for
something new and different

Offline Axxe55

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 09:46:21 AM »
maybe i'm just kinda prejudiced for working at new car
dealers for so many decades, but i can say for sure that
we have all those distractive options on cars at the behest
of the new car buyer.
there wouldn't be any navigation b.s. or interactive boo-hoo
b.s. if folks weren't clamoring for it by the millions.
keeping up with the joneses and all that.
we've had lots of practical and durable vehicles and powertrains
over the years, and people always discard them for
something new and different

Cost is what drives technology in many ways. When it's brand new, it's usually quite expensive, putting it the range of those with more disposable income. As costs come down, it puts it in the range of the average Joe. Pretty much the same with cars and all the new gadgets. As costs go down, more of those gadgets make it to lesser expensive cars and more people end up with them. And if more lesser expensive vehicles end up with those gadgets, then more people are going to have them.

Problem is, people THINK they need all these gadgets. And if their next door neighbor bought a new car optioned with them, then they THINK they NEED it too. I can remember when A/C and electric windows and such were luxury options on vehicles!

The part about vehicles and the manufacturers that upsets me are the so-called safety technology being integrated into vehicles, like lane assist, smart braking, ect. They are essentially making cars into devices that drive themselves, and taking the driver out of the equation. The driver of the vehicle is now depending upon technology of the vehicle to keep him safe, rather than doing the job a driver should be doing, which is driving and paying attention to his driving and what is going on around him.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Shield45

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 10:55:38 AM »
You would think that with all the "accidents" involving people using cell phones while driving, or texting, and the number of people that have been killed because of such behaviour that these people would wake up and realize the deadly dangers involved doing such things. But no, they don't. They continue to perpetrate the same behaviour and still people are dying.

I put it up there with the same reckless behaviour as drunk driving. The results and tragedy are the same. I think that it should be a federal law against texting and driving. 1st offense: DL suspended for a year. An accident involved for first 1st offense should be a five year suspension. 2nd offense: DL suspended for five years. Accident involved for second offense: Lifetime DL suspension. 3rd offense: Lifetime suspension of DL. Accident involved for 3rd offense: Five years in prison.
Heck folks drive on S/L as it is now. All that would do is add more S/L drivers to those already on the road and they would still be texting.

As with most things man discovers man finds a way to abuse the discovery no matter the good intentions of it at discovery.

Those that do so (text n drive) are afflicted with IWHTM syndrome. However like most things that involve risk push it far enough and the risk will bite you.

Some get bite worse than others.

But those that remain unbitten still suffer from the incurable syndrome. 

Offline Ranger99

• 7 Yard Shooter
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 03:03:40 PM »

Cost is what drives technology in many ways. When it's brand new, it's usually quite expensive, putting it the range of those with more disposable income. As costs come down, it puts it in the range of the average Joe. Pretty much the same with cars and all the new gadgets. As costs go down, more of those gadgets make it to lesser expensive cars and more people end up with them. And if more lesser expensive vehicles end up with those gadgets, then more people are going to have them.

Problem is, people THINK they need all these gadgets.

there's a lot (most of it) of crap on cars that is gubmint mandated
by folks that don't know the first thing about how a vehicle is built,
how it is to be maintained and operated safely and efficiently.
it's like other crappolla we have to put up with from the gubmint.
it was a sounds good/feels good thing they passed in session
so they can justify their salaries.

some would be surprised at all the safety classes and certifications
you're supposed to have working at a new car dealer. ( i did say supposed to-
a lot don't ) i have a couple of boxes of them for all the good they do me.

Offline Axxe55

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 03:08:02 PM »

Heck folks drive on S/L as it is now. All that would do is add more S/L drivers to those already on the road and they would still be texting.

As with most things man discovers man finds a way to abuse the discovery no matter the good intentions of it at discovery.

Those that do so (text n drive) are afflicted with IWHTM syndrome. However like most things that involve risk push it far enough and the risk will bite you.

Some get bite worse than others.

But those that remain unbitten still suffer from the incurable syndrome. 

I agree with you 100% Shield. That is why the penalties need to be much steeper. If they were getting fined substantially, losing their DL, and going to jail for such behavior, then maybe the message would sink in. What people tend to forget, or never realize, driving is a privilege, not a right. Taking away those privileges, and hitting people in the wallet might wake up others.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.