Author Topic: Selling guns online  (Read 717 times)

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Selling guns online
« on: June 08, 2019, 10:11:48 PM »
I've bought several guns online but never sold one.  Particularly with a suppressor.

So it looks like I may need to sell Boomer, with the suppressor and ammo.

Lots of questions, from what websites would you use, or avoid.
How do you deal with an NFA item?
Do  / can you sell the ammo with the gun?
I have hundreds of rounds of ammo, from ball, AP / APIT, to Raufoss rounds. 

Anyway, any input would be appreciated on how to sell online, in particular the issues.
Post here or PM me.

Thanks.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Selling guns online
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 11:18:15 PM »
Man sorry to hear that. I've sold close to thirty firearms on line but my experience has been quite unique. I have a local website/forum that caters to a certain group and the majority are pretty much vetted before they can post or start a thread.
Don't expect to recoup all the money you have invested. I know nothing about 50 BMG rifles but if it's  something semi rare or out of production that may be a plus. Original box and paperwork is also a plus if you still have it. I would sell the nice scope you have separately (if you want to sell it at all) and maybe the ammo too but in my experience offering a combo deal (scope, ammo, magazines, bi pod)  works about 75% of the time.
List everything your willing to sell. How many magazines or aftermarket options, ammo, etc. that come with the firearm. Estimate a round count, custom work, etc.
Google the make, model and manufacturer and see what pops up. Do your homework and decide a price. I'm guessing that your firearm will appeal to a niche group of firearm enthusiasts so find a website that caters to them and throw out a question or two.
Stay off Craig's List and be prepared for low ball offers. "'I've got cash in hand" and that kind of crap. Don't worry about hurting someones feelings. I always put in my add "Face to Face sales only" and I know living in the DFW area that may not possible. Never did a sale through a FFL shop but there's a couple people on here who have so maybe they will chime in. Please PM me if you need any more advice. I want to add that The High Road (THR) website is a national firearm forum. Poke around in there. Lot's of knowledgeable folks over there and have gotten a ton of good suggestions and advice.
Good luck.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 11:53:08 PM »
Even though I have never sold any guns online, I think Alte is on the right track. Sounds like some really suggestions.

Another option is to see if any of the gun dealers or shops you may use have consignment sales. You can set the price you want, and the dealers does the vetting of customers for you and does all the paperwork for you for a small fee. I have done that in the past with my gun dealer in his shop. And after all, the customers frequenting a gun store are usually looking for guns to buy!
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 12:27:28 AM »
What Axxe said. Consignment is a practical option. Also mention in your add that your not interested in trades.  I've had everything from gift cards to sports memorabilia offered to me. 
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 12:34:51 AM »
I also have to echo Alte on Craigslist. Absolutely one of the worst selling mediums! The only good thing going for Craigslist, it reaches lots of people, and it's free to use. But you will end up dealing with 100 idiots before the one serious buyer comes along. Any time i use Craigslist, I just take that into consideration. And the stupid stuff that people would email, would drive me crazy, that I got to the point I stopped using email for Craigslist.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 12:17:25 PM »
I wish you the best of luck, but be prepared to lose a significant amount of money unless you happen to choose a large and successful gun store as your consignment option.

With all the paperwork involved with selling a Class 3 item, people may not bite unless the deal is really attractive, because there's not much incentive otherwise to jump through the hoops of buying a used Class 3 item when it takes the same amount of time to do the same amount of paper work for a brand new item.

I'd definitely go the consignment route if I had to. Too many nonsense people these days even on Texas Gun Trader.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 01:36:50 PM »
Everyone here knows I go through guns like water. So, I sell stuff.

Usually, combination packages don't go over well. But I can't help you in class 3 stuff. There is a reason why I've never got into that on purpose. It is very hard to move. People that are interested, usually buy new.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 02:26:51 PM by Shipwreck »

Offline Txhillbilly

• Knows How to Use a Holster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 10:17:39 PM »
Selling the rifle and the ammo is the easy part. Selling a used suppressor isn't!
Your best bet will be trying to get a Class 3 dealer to try and sell your suppressor. He has to do all the transfer paperwork anyway,but don't be surprised if you loose 50% or more of what you have invested in your suppressor.

If you find someone you know and trust that is interested in Boomer and his friends,if you have the suppressor in a trust,you could also just add that person to the trust and bypass all the FFA transfer problems,and also let you sell everything in a package deal. Just a thought. :th_thicon_idea: