Author Topic: Mower Ideas..........  (Read 803 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Mower Ideas..........
« on: June 05, 2019, 02:46:50 PM »
I have been doing some thinking and looking around, and my thoughts are, of maybe doing away with my riding mower, and going with a two behind mower like those that you use behind a lawn tractor or ATV. Something like this.

https://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/field-brush-mowers/tow-behind/tb2-16-5hp-b-s-es-pro-44in-new-50st.axd

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&catalogId=11652&langId=-1&pageSize=12&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&pageView=image&N=0&ipp=48&Ntt=tow%20behind%20mowers&searchTerm=tow%20behind%20mowers&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ns=P-Price||P-SalesRank|1

https://www.mowersdirect.com/lawn/finish-cut-tow-behind-mowers.html?sort_value=2&displaynum=0

Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm curious, and trying to figure out if they would be worth the price and if they offer any advantages over a riding mower.

Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline Ranger99

• Owns a Gunbelt
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Mower Ideas..........
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 01:24:25 PM »
. . .Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm curious, and trying to figure out if they would be worth the price and if they offer any advantages over a riding mower.

my now deceased buddy had one, and it overheated his atv every time he tried to use it.
maybe if you could install an oil cooler and a auxiliary electric fan it might work.
he just parked his and went back to his regular lawn mower and shredder w/ tractor for
the big stuff.
jmo- a belt drive or centrifugal clutch atv isn't really built for or adequate
for all these implements they sell for atvs. it's not worth the chance of tearing
up some expensive drivetrain components. YMMV
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 01:36:34 PM »
. . .Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm curious, and trying to figure out if they would be worth the price and if they offer any advantages over a riding mower.

my now deceased buddy had one, and it overheated his atv every time he tried to use it.
maybe if you could install an oil cooler and a auxiliary electric fan it might work.
he just parked his and went back to his regular lawn mower and shredder w/ tractor for
the big stuff.
for all these implements they sell for atvs. it's not worth the chance of tearing

Actually I planned on pulling it with the golf cart. With it being electric, no chance of over-heating!
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 01:49:10 PM »

the big stuff.

Actually I planned on pulling it with the golf cart. With it being electric, no chance of over-heating!
My main concern would be maneuverability. Id stick with a rider or possibly a small (ie 1 or 2 series) Tractor
More money but also more useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 02:26:27 PM »

the big stuff.

My main concern would be maneuverability. Id stick with a rider or possibly a small (ie 1 or 2 series) Tractor

The areas I was wanting it for are pretty open areas, so maneuverability shouldn't be an issue.

I use to have a Ford 9N and brush hog that I mowed the areas with, but I sold it some years ago, and I really don't want to go with another tractor. It may be just better to bring my father's tractor and brush hog over here and use it instead a few times a year.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 03:39:36 PM »

the big stuff.

The areas I was wanting it for are pretty open areas, so maneuverability shouldn't be an issue.

I use to have a Ford 9N and brush hog that I mowed the areas with, but I sold it some years ago, and I really don't want to go with another tractor. It may be just better to bring my father's tractor and brush hog over here and use it instead a few times a year.
Now you’re think Axxe.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 03:52:24 PM »

the big stuff.

Now you’re think Axxe.

I think this idea might not be a great one Shield! I have been looking around for about a week or so, seeing if I might locate one that was used in decent shape, or even one that was really cheap that needed some work, (I'm not opposed to putting in some sweat equity!) but unfortunately, I haven't seen any for sale, and a new one is just way out of my price range. I'd buy another older small tractor and brush hog before spending what they want for those things!
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 04:49:46 PM »

the big stuff.

Now you’re think Axxe.

I think this idea might not be a great one Shield! I have been looking around for about a week or so, seeing if I might locate one that was used in decent shape, or even one that was really cheap that needed some work, (I'm not opposed to putting in some sweat equity!) but unfortunately, I haven't seen any for sale, and a new one is just way out of my price range. I'd buy another older small tractor and brush hog before spending what they want for those things!
I know I just dropped close to 22k for mine with shredder box blade and phd. 

Offline Ranger99

• Owns a Gunbelt
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 01:01:31 PM »

the big difference is that's ^ ^ ^ meant for working and for use with the various implements.
atv's and such are meant to shuttle various butts around to different areas, and not really
engineered for hard pulling. been there done that- don't care to do it again
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 01:13:31 PM »

the big difference is that's ^ ^ ^ meant for working and for use with the various implements.
atv's and such are meant to shuttle various butts around to different areas, and not really
engineered for hard pulling. been there done that- don't care to do it again
Agreed I looked in to the atv mowers but soon deemed them inadequate for anything more than mowing a big residential lawn that is flat smooth and without obstacles.   

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 02:21:18 PM »
There are actually two different types of pull behind mowers, and for the most part, they do look very similar. There are finish type mowers that are made for large open, smooth grass cutting like very large residential lawns or like golf courses. Then there are the heavy duty ones, that are essentially small brush hogs. The DR brand, are classified as brush cutters, and my brother has one of the older self-propelled walk behind models, and that thing will cut just about anything it rolls over, up to about 2" diameter saplings. It's a beast!
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.