Author Topic: ..Printer Ink - a Gripe..  (Read 378 times)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
..Printer Ink - a Gripe..
« on: June 05, 2019, 11:11:45 AM »
just paid $106 and change for a 4 (color) pack of Printer Ink for my HP Office Jet Pro 8720 - just gripes the heck outta me

vent vent vent
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: ..Printer Ink - a Gripe..
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 11:56:42 AM »
That's a market price.  We went through similar sticker shot when there were 4 kids in the house printing school assignments.

Bit the bullet, bought a moderately priced HP $400 laser printer that had cartridges that could be (unofficially) refilled. 
Faster, way cheaper printing, and you could get the cartridges refilled locally for $40 or do it yourself for about $20 in 20 minutes. (vs. a new laser cartridge for $80-100 each.)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 12:01:54 PM »
That is why I use a laser printer - and just use black...

Online Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 12:07:35 PM »
Screw the hell out of that. Printer ink is a sham (and I have independently verified the part about "mixing in other colors with black" thing to be true across several makes and models):

Gilgondorin uses a Canon Pixma MX922 printer. It >ALSO< uses 4 individual ink cartridges so that color photos are printed with photo lab quality results to the untrained eye, just so long as you use glossy photo paper (and of course, obviously don't get the paper wet with say, rain, or a drink, or the ink will run).

If you were to buy the name-brand Canon cartridges, yes, you would pay probably close to $70. However, Gilgondorin found that it's possible to buy not one set of four, but up to TWELVE sets of four -- 60 total -- generic aftermarket ink cartridges for as little as $34 with free shipping that work with no problems in the printer.

Moreover, while I can't say the same about any other makes/models, this particular one doesn't give me any guff about "unsupported/unauthorized third party ink cartridges" either. Because the plastic cases on the units I bought are clear, you can verify for yourself that the cartridge is indeed about at its end because all the ink is gone, and the little piece of sponge they use in there to control the flow of ink is also almost dried up. I've read some other types often have issues with the chip being faulty, or the ink gumming up the internals, but IDK if the factory in China I bought mine from moonlights the production of these cartridges after they're through with official licensed runs of actual Canon ink cartridges or what, but they've never given me any problems.

The ink economy is phenomenal. I bought a 24 pack about a year ago because I'm an amateur photographer and occasionaly like to print things I take pictures of: https://i.ibb.co/gT440J3/My-Cardinal.jpg

.............I still have a little under half of them left.

The printer isn't the speediest out there, but it definitely gets the job done. Moreover, it's wireless. And, if you have the know-how to calibrate it to do so from the control panel, it'll automatically save the image file to your computer if you scan a photo, or a text document. They're an older model so they may not be sold in stores anymore, but I am in love with mine and have sometimes seen them go for less than $30-$40 on second-hand sale sites like Craigslist or OfferUp, if you'd rather not risk the full $100 on an experiment (I got my first MX922 at a pawn shop for $13 because they thought it was broken; all it needed to do was to perform an automated self-cleaning routine to clean out the print heads of old dried ink).

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 12:09:08 PM »
It's why I don't have a printer anymore!  :wave1:
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 12:11:45 PM »
If I want to print photos - I just upload them to the WalMart website, and go pick them up 1 hour later

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 12:22:09 PM »
If I want to print photos - I just upload them to the WalMart website, and go pick them up 1 hour later

THIS!  :th_thicon_idea:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 12:40:29 PM »
Yuppers.
Anything needs printed I use my office printer. I rarely have much requires printing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 01:24:43 PM »
Yuppers.
Anything needs printed I use my office printer. I rarely have much requires printing

If I need something printed, I just transfer it to a flash drive and send it with the wife and she can print it for me from her office. Part of the reason I got rid of my printer was the new laptop when we got it, wouldn't communicate with the printer. It would say it was printing, but nothing ever printed! I tried every thing I could that I read on getting it to communicate, but it just wouldn't.

So I got rid of the printer, the huge desktop computer and tower, and the huge fax machine. It sure freed up a lot of space in my office!  :rocknroll2:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 01:32:26 PM »
I bought a new printer recently that would work with my chromebooks. But, the toner was out in my old laser printer anyway. And, the toner was the same price as the new printer.

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 04:11:30 PM »
Yuppers.

If I need something printed, I just transfer it to a flash drive and send it with the wife and she can print it for me from her office. Part of the reason I got rid of my printer was the new laptop when we got it, wouldn't communicate with the printer. It would say it was printing, but nothing ever printed! I tried every thing I could that I read on getting it to communicate, but it just wouldn't.

So I got rid of the printer, the huge desktop computer and tower, and the huge fax machine. It sure freed up a lot of space in my office!  :rocknroll2:
Your ahead of me I DONT even have a PC at home.
iPhone and iPad is it with a wireless hot spot for intersweb.

I look at a PC most of the day no interest in staring at one at home.

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
..Printer Ink - a Gripe..
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 04:13:15 PM »
Yuppers.

Your ahead of me I DONT even have a PC at home.
iPhone and iPad is it with a wireless hot spot for intersweb.

I look at a PC most of the day no interest in staring at one at home.

Anything done on them (like an online order confirmation) or that needs to be printed I email to myself and open/print at desk.

Offline Army 1911

• Military
  • 3 Yard Shooter
  • 1911 Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 04:29:14 PM »
Until recently, I had access to extremely high quality printers that would print up to 14x22.5 inch images for 10 cents a click plus the cost of paper.  I had access because I ran them.

Then I retired.  Talk about sticker shock...local Staples wants over $3.  And God isn't telling if the printer was ever calibrated since it was installed.
A well balanced breakfast, being necessary to the health of the nation, the right of the people to keep an eat cereal shall not be infringed.  Now who gets the ceral, the breakfast or the people?
Sure I'll shoot your Glock.  Just hang it with the rest of the targets.