Author Topic: Florida Deputy Charged!  (Read 373 times)

Online Axxe55

• Progressive Reloader
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Florida Deputy Charged!
« on: June 04, 2019, 03:32:07 PM »
Scot Peterson, the deputy assigned to the school in Florida, where in February 2018, 17 schoolchildren and staff were killed, and 17 others injured by Nicholas Cruz.

He faces 11 charges, ranging from child neglect, culpable negligence, and perjury. Wow.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2019-06-04/florida-deputy-charged-after-staying-outside-school-shooting

In a way, I'm a bit surprised at them charging him. But, glad they are. Could he have made a difference in the number of those that died or were injured? Who knows for sure, but, we do know what his inaction led to for a fact.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
Re: Florida Deputy Charged!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 04:46:13 PM »
On one hand, it's unfortunate for the deputy that things had to go down this way.

On the other hand, one of the primary reasons we carry guns in the first place is because the supreme court already ruled in 2006 that police have no duty to defend us against the actions of private individuals:

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/justices-rule-police-do-not-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html

Indeed, it seems as though this guy has already been trying to use the law to his advantage:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2018/12/21/us-judge-says-law-enforcement-officers-had-no-legal-duty-protect-parkland-students-during-mass-shooting/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.229a91f4e473

Though I know it's going to put me on the wrong side of this issue from a PR perspective, I can't say that I'm glad they're trying to go after him, and in fact, I oppose it.

Rather, I would say this should teach the idiots in charge over there what those of us in the self-defense community been saying for damn near ever: you can't rely on anyone, not even the police, to keep you safe from harm; when the chips are down moral responsibility goes out the door, because the police don't have any legal obligation to get themselves killed trying to save you -- you can only rely on yourself. That's one of the sacred, fundamental principles behind CCW, as given to us by the supreme court.

Additionally, it seems pointless and foolish to have laws specifically given to us by the supreme court being challenged again in this manner; it's like why even have a legal system specifically set up to issue precedence on and deal with issues like this if you're going to let feelings and tears override the final word anyway?

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 05:42:38 PM »
It's a sad situation all around to be sure. The indictment paints a pretty broad stroke of what the ex deputy did or, in this instance didn't, do. It appears to me that it's going to come down to how the actual law(s) is interpreted by the jury. Yeah he probably violated departmental policy and the perjury charge may be legit but I sure wouldn't want to be on the jury that sorts out the other charges.
I don't know how the Florida laws he's accused of violating are written but it appears, to me, that some of the criminal charges to be somewhat of a stretch. You can bet a good defense lawyer will make his bones if he wins this one.

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Online Axxe55

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 06:09:29 PM »
Gilgondorin, I understand the ruling of the Supreme Court, that officers are under no obligation in the protection of the individual, but the community in essence. Would one not consider 34 deaths, and injuries at a school a part of the community?

And here is another point to consider, when an officer takes his oath, is it not to protect the community and to uphold the laws of that community? And at what point does an officer reach the point of dereliction of duty, or negligence in the performance of his duties in a situation just like this?
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Shield45

• Gun Show Attendee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 06:15:21 PM »
Hope they put his chicken shit sorry ass under the jail. Shouldn’t be a sworn peace officer if you get cold feet when the time comes to keep the peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 06:52:57 PM »
Gilgondorin, I understand the ruling of the Supreme Court, that officers are under no obligation in the protection of the individual, but the community in essence. Would one not consider 34 deaths, and injuries at a school a part of the community?

Yes, given that previous ruling, I am surprised he is being charged. But, they also hit him with a charge of lying. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the end

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 08:17:20 PM »
The first thing his attorneys will do is request a change of venue which will probably be granted. After that it's anybody's  guess. Predict a conviction on the perjury charge and he walks on the rest. What he allegedly did was reprehensible but being a coward isn't a a violation of any legal statute that I am aware of.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Online Axxe55

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 01:40:24 PM »

Yes, given that previous ruling, I am surprised he is being charged. But, they also hit him with a charge of lying. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the end

But, at what point is he in violation of neglecting his sworn duty to protect the community?

Here's another one that I see he was neglectful in the performance of his duties as LE officer. That a felony was being committed within his area of responsibility, and he did nothing.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online Axxe55

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 01:48:34 PM »
He was hired to do a job. Protect schoolchildren on school property. It was not like this school shooting was the first one of such magnitude, and as realists, most of us know it could happen again, and it did.

Frankly, I don't care if he's convicted or not. I think just prosecuting him in a public trial, will send it's own message. Don't put on badge or uniform if you aren't willing, or able to carry out the duties of being a LE officer. IMO, this coward, disgraced every honorable LE officer by his inaction. Whether he's found guilty is irrelevant to me, he will bear the  burden of wearing the name of being a coward to the grave.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 05:57:12 PM »
I'm with Axxxe on don't care if he's convicted, much less prosecuted.

But I'm most happy he's off the payroll.  Call it what you want, but dereliction of duty comes to mind.

Online Axxe55

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 06:01:03 PM »
I'm with Axxxe on don't care if he's convicted, much less prosecuted.

But I'm most happy he's off the payroll.  Call it what you want, but dereliction of duty comes to mind.

Pretty much it! With a public trial, considering the events surrounding it, with 17 kids and staff dead, and 17 more that were injured, I seriously doubt anyone, or any department would get near this coward with a job offer of being in a uniform. I would also have to think that any sort of employment might be difficult for him to find.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline randyjaco

• Professional Target Hanger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 07:50:49 PM »
I thought that the Supreme Court already ruled that law enforcement has no legal requirement to protect individuals? So isn't this an exercise in futility?

Personally, I think the guy is the lowest form of scum.

Now with a name like Scott Peterson, this guy already has a strike or two against him. Does anybody remember Laci Peterson?
Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again." (Unknown)

"There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box" (Frederick Douglass)

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Same S#!± Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 06:20:36 AM »
I'm with Gil on this.  Nobody is defending his inaction, but the question becomes was his inaction CRIMINAL???  No. I don't believe it was. Like mentioned, the Supreme Court ruled on this already. 

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 06:55:06 AM »
makes me wonder about the "Protect and Serve" motto.....perhaps something like "Howdy" should be emblazoned on the sides of Police vehicles if "protect" doesn't mean anything.....(?)
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Online Axxe55

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 12:52:32 PM »
I'm with Gil on this.  Nobody is defending his inaction, but the question becomes was his inaction CRIMINAL???  No. I don't believe it was. Like mentioned, the Supreme Court ruled on this already. 

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

The following excerpt is not mine but lifted from a friends' post on another forum.

Yes, the courts- including the Supremes- have ruled that the 5 Oh do not have a duty to protect any one person. That was not the issue here.

There are various forms of failing in a public DUTY- misfeasance, malfeasance, and nonfeasance. Those are crimes- involving failing- or badly doing something that is required of me by my position.

In this case it is not that he failed to protect little Johnny Doe, but that he failed to attempt to stop someone that was committing serious felonies IN HIS PRESENCE. In addition, they are taking the approach that those kids were in his care and keeping. Which IS different than owing a general duty to the general population.

Frankly, having watched brother and sister LEOs take a deep breath and go headlong into some scary crap, where sane people would just say HELL NO! and run- the failure to act in this case makes me sick. He demeaned every LEO that is out there by his cowardice.

Also, they are saying he's not only a LE officer, but as the school resource officer, he is classified as a "caregiver", which puts further duty on his actions and behavior at the school that day.

Part of me sees the case as this. School shootings are nothing new now. They have been occurring for some years. Peterson had to have known that. In his duty a LE officer and as the school resource officer, there existed that possibility that school could be a target just as any other school in this country. If Peterson was that incompetent, or that stupid, or ignorant, then I assert that he should never have been wearing a badge and uniform in the first place.

Here's another angle to mull over. Did his superiors think, or know he was incompetent, and just basically worthless as a LE officer, and the duty posting they put Peterson in at the school, was one where they thought he could do the least amount of damage? If this is what happened, then there is a possibility that more charges against other officers could be following, and this trial may be their way of shaking out some other officer to charge in this tragedy.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.