Author Topic: ..another Project..  (Read 5121 times)

Online Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
Re: ..another Project..
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 07:04:40 PM »
worked from early a.m. until 3pm today (thru breakfast and lunch times) - got all the post holes dug and 3 posts set in concrete - then discovered that 17 bags of redi-crete that I got from Lowe's had been (obviously) in the rain and were as hard as nancy peoloi's heart.....hooked up the trailer, drove to the Lowe's/Lindale, returned the bad 80lb bags and got replacements.....also bought 7 additional 4x4x8' treated posts and 7 more bags of redi-crete

then dug 2 holes along a barbed wire fence that divides our place and our neighbor's cattle ranch ('twas sagging and I wanna keep his cows "out) and then out on our far back Pasture there is a property alongside our fence and a length of that fence is sagging.....so punched 3 post holes there and will "shore-up" that section of fence.....sometime, after our new Pasture extension is finished

a very full day's work - but both my Wife and I enjoyed being and working together

more concrete to mix and posts to set manana.....
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Online Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2019, 04:00:47 PM »
working my rearend off !  and the Wife is too !  -  getting the Pasture "extension" X-fence posts put in - have 8 more to go

the 1st 2 pics show the "horse working area"/"ferrier working area" that will be the 1st part of the new 1/2 acre Pasture extension (there will be another 16' gate within this area, further dividing it into 2 holding/working areas)

the next pics are of the far end of the new pasture and the BIG tree that I've decided to exclude - will come back 90 degrees from this line of posts then go to the right another 90 degrees towards the existing fence

in a couple of days (sigh ! ) it'll be time to start putting up the 2x6 horizontal boards (and replacing a lot of the existing fence boards to keep the Boys safe)

installation of the three 16' steel stock gates will be the last of the "construction"

Online Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2019, 04:18:15 PM »
just wanted to add that this is really hard work for an "old guy" - I used to be able to throw a bale of Hay up on my shoulder and take it from the truck to the Barn.....now I've been "wrestling" with these god awful 80lb bags of redi-mix concrete and it's killin' me   :th_thicon_cry:

from now on I'll be getting the 40/50lb bags of redi-crete and not punish myself so much   :th_thicon_idea:

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2019, 05:25:52 PM »
You build pretty fencing for an old geezer Tango! LOL!  :th_thicon_lol:

Seriously, it's looking great. Keep up the good work sir.  :th_thicon_idea:
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Online Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2019, 06:22:02 PM »
thank you Sir

lots of work and I'm tired as all get-out - I think I'll take tomorrow morning "off" and go get a hair cut and do a little grocery shopping.....with all this work I haven't done much cooking and have been eating leftovers and snack foods for my suppers

my Wife, who's been "off" from work because of surgery, has been cleared to go back to work - it'll take a while for her to be "re-qualified" but she'll be busy from now on and won't be able to help me (as much) with "stuff" (like she has been doing..).....she's driving down to the big airport in Houston manana to start the "back to work" process

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2019, 08:23:13 PM »
I fully understand Tango. Getting old ain't for the young! It takes much longer to do things because we tire out much faster, but the mind is way ahead of us. I have to do the same thing. Work hard for a few days, then take a day off and rest and heal up so I can finish things I started.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."

Online Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2019, 05:49:24 AM »
sittin' around the house on Father's Day, gettin' sleepy and thinkin' about takin' a nap when my Wife got on her phone, searched and found a Lowe's that had 2x6x20' (twenty foot) treated lumber (not all do).....and all was "on sale" for Father's Day

it was the Lowe's in Gun Barrel City - 50/60 miles away from us but off we go

30 pieces of the 20' lumber, 5 more of the 16' lumber and 4 more 4x4 posts loaded on the trailer came to quite a large bill, even with the FD and my disabled Vet discounts

but then, a FD gift from my Wife ..... she paid for the lumber (with her own $s) ..... thank you Sweetheart

now, Monday, off to an appt with my VA Doc but on Tuesday, weather permitting, it'll be more work of the 2 X-fences
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 05:47:58 AM by Tango »

Online Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2019, 06:30:03 AM »
my Wife and I put in 8 solid hours working on 1 of the 2 X-fences that we're building - this one will give us a "Horse work area/Ferrier work area" of 17' x 100' and we'll further divide that space into a large and a smaller paddock

it just needs additional 3" wood screws for the horizontal 2x6s and the top boards attached along it's length and then another 16' steel stock gate

that to finish, and then .....

get started on finishing the X-fence at the other end of the new Pasture - all the Posts are set and the Gate has been mounted - just a matter of the horizontal boards

meantime .....

the normal, everyday chores are being left behind (because of our devoting SO MUCH time to the fence building..) - Pasture poop detail, edging down the length of the driveway, weedeating in lots of places but mainly around the Pond - have a call in to a kid who's done work for us before - hopefully he'll be available to "work" - if not I'll consider hiring a day laborer to do the weedeating

and yes - Summer (and it's heat) is here !

Online Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2019, 02:36:29 PM »
want to add a few pics of the "almost finished" X-fence - this is 1 of the 2 that we're building - it's just about 17' from and running parallel to the X-fence that we built to inclose the Front (main) Pasture (so the paddock enclosure will be approx. 17' x 100' and will be used by our trainer (to work with our Boys) and our ferrier (to do his nail clipping "thing")

we've yet to install another 16' gate within this area (but will start on that manana) - the new gate will divide this paddock into 2.....a larger one for training and a smaller one for close up work (the ferrier, for instance

we used this new paddock today - our trainer came and did her thing with the Boys after which each Horse was given a bath - my Wife got in there and worked with the trainer (while I was curb edging and weedeating  :frown:)

pics show the new fence (un-stained) - the 1st X-fence we built can be seen in the background (freshly stained - dark) - and then there's a pic of my Wife and our trainer, with the Boys, in the new paddock

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2019, 06:07:19 PM »
Fencing looks great , nice job. :th_thicon_idea:
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Online Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2019, 06:45:51 PM »
thank you

lots of work, 'specially in this heat - and still have to put up the horizontal lumber on the "other" fence - but the results give a lot of satisfaction

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2019, 08:18:54 PM »
I agree with Nato. Very nice looking fencing.  :th_thicon_idea:

And building horse proof fencing is always harder than fencing for cattle. Nice work Tango.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2019, 01:12:15 PM »
Darn nice looking fence. Good job Tango. I hope when I get to fencing on my land eventually it will look good as that.

Your right lil hot for sure.
Finally able to get to shred some of mine today. Did from 730 to 1230. Got warm so break time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2019, 04:30:55 PM »
well we've gotten to the point with this Pasture "extension" that we were able to let the Boys (Cinco and Ali) go into it and explore - and explore they did - very interested in the new views from within, the un-munched grass - they got really excited about their new area and put on a great, high-tailing chase for us to enjoy watching

we're not finished and stopped early today because of the heat - still have all the top boards to put on and we've gotta bunch of old top boards that we'll remove and replace with new

we moved another water trough into this Pasture extension (that'll make 2 large water troughs available to them)

our Trainer gal and her Ferrier Husband will be coming manana to do their thing so we'll be able to test that 17x100' area (that's divided into a larger section for training and a smaller section for the Ferrier

many pics follow :

our Boy Cinco standing in front of the new Training/Ferrier area

1st new fence (of the 2) with it's interior 16' gate that'll divide the space into 2 areas

a look down the Pasture extension to the far (2nd) new fence - and it's 16' gate

far fence with a 90 degree turn to the right, then another 90 to the left and tying into the existing fence (around the BIG tree)

looking back up the new Pasture

Cinco, walking the new fence line

our 2 Boys.....Cinco and Ali - enjoying the grass of their new stompin' grounds

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2019, 02:45:57 PM »
Looks to be Cinco and Ali endorsed!  :rocknroll2:

Looks great Tango.  :th_thicon_idea:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2019, 11:19:28 AM »
I'm replacing a very heavy, 2 piece steel gate (that is between our front yard and the above pictured "new Pasture") - using a 10' steel stock gate

the 2x6s to which the gate halves are mounted are well weathered and the screws have started to pull loose - hence the replacement.....

I've removed the 2x6s and replaced with new treated lumber but don't have enough room on the latch side to mount the latch - so, off with that 2x6 and replace it with a 1x6, which will give the required clearance - lag screws used to mount the latch and then more lag screws to attach the vertical 1x6 to the existing fence post

and since I've got to drive to dallas manana (a stress test at the VA hospital - VA docs trying to find out why I'm having these dizzy spells) that's about all I'll be doing today (unless I get the urge to Tractor mow down in the back Pasture)

Online Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2019, 03:40:46 PM »
got a length of 1x6 treated lumber but didn't like "the look" (1x compared to 2x on the opposite side), so.....with my chainsaw I shaved the side of one of the vertical posts and screwed in the "L" shaped hinges in on the other vertical  (to the point that I thought I might "torque em off", but didn't) - and finally got that 10' steel stock gate "hung"

that makes 7 of those steel stock gates that I've put in place - I'm gettin' good at "gate hanging"

the replaced and very heavy gate that I just took down.....I "might" have it sand blasted and powder coated then use it somewhere else around the property - I'm thinking they were expensive when new

had thought about Tractor mowing this afternoon.....but it suddenly got to the start of my "happy hour" - so I'm done for the day

VA doctor for stress test manana, in dallas, not looking forward to the drive - but.....

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2019, 06:42:49 PM »
got a length of 1x6 treated lumber but didn't like "the look" (1x compared to 2x on the opposite side), so.....with my chainsaw I shaved the side of one of the vertical posts and screwed in the "L" shaped hinges in on the other vertical  (to the point that I thought I might "torque em off", but didn't) - and finally got that 10' steel stock gate "hung"

that makes 7 of those steel stock gates that I've put in place - I'm gettin' good at "gate hanging"

the replaced and very heavy gate that I just took down.....I "might" have it sand blasted and powder coated then use it somewhere else around the property - I'm thinking they were expensive when new

had thought about Tractor mowing this afternoon.....but it suddenly got to the start of my "happy hour" - so I'm done for the day

Hey , hope everything works out good for you tomorrow  . :th_thicon_idea:

VA doctor for stress test manana, in dallas, not looking forward to the drive - but.....
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2019, 09:16:06 PM »
Best of luck tomorrow with your test Tango. The wife and I will say a prayer for you.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2019, 07:34:55 AM »
I found out that I don't have the stamina required to give the stress test "readers" any credible info - guess an alternative method is to administer some sort of drug/chemical to increase heart rate.....tho I do have to say that my episodes of dizziness have decreased dramatically   :th_thicon_idea:

on another note - thanks to the tropical storm to our east we've had a couple of days of cooler temps - and some light moisture.  tried outside working yesterday and misty showers kept forcing me to come inside - off and on wet/inside and out - didn't work-up much of a sweat

now today (the last of the "nice" days for working outside) I've got people coming.....housecleaning gal and culligan man being here means I've gotta stick around (rather than being out on the property, doing "stuff")