Author Topic: ..another Project..  (Read 11958 times)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
Re: ..another Project..
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2019, 01:28:39 PM »
blades are gonna havta wait for sharpening - for the last 3 days I've been putting the (almost) finishing touches on all the new (and a lot of the old) fencing.....the top boards - and in this heat/humidity it's been brutal - 95% of it in the sun   :frown:  (staining all the new wood will get done when I feel like it..)

redeeming factor is jumping in the cement pond at the end of each day

an aside :  we had a 19 y/o kid (about 6' 2" and 210 lbs) that was doing work for us, for a while - then he got busy with other stuff and couldn't work here.....got a call from him asking if we needed him to work....."yes", said we

we pay him $10/hour and he only stops working to eat the sandwiches we provide and drink water/Gatorade - he said he'd like to work here each Monday - fine with me

he's got a little job at a BBQ place but they only use him 4 hours a day and pay him just minimum wage of $7.25/hr - so at 10 hour day here for $100 is good for him

glad to have him back - he does all the stuff I'd rather not do - weedeating on sloped ground, getting in amongst bushes and yanking pesky vines, poop detail in the Pastures.....next week I'm gonna have him help me set 5 more supporting fence posts around the property and we'll take a look at cutting up a fallen tree and a large broken tree branch

I'm glad he's back
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2019, 02:26:15 PM »
Glad there are still some youngsters that don't seem afraid of a little hard work. But IMO, they are getting as rare as hen's teeth.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2019, 03:24:29 PM »
so true, that ^ .....

on another note :

my poor neighbor - he's such a milk toast and his wife doesn't help him with anything.....every piece of equipment he owns is junk - has a compact JD Tractor that was left with the property when he bought it - doesn't run, never has (for his 3 years) - has a riding mower that blew it's engine - into the shop for a replacement engine but that one is blowing smoke so it's back in for ?????

I've pulled him and his riding mower our of the edge of his Pond, pulled his truck out which he was using to try and unstick his riding mower, have swapped riding mower batteries with him 2 times (he uses mine while I re-charge his) - he's got a piece of junk loaner from the mower replace guy - dead battery - he's now using MY battery again while I charge his

my Wife has mowed his yard twice with her Spartan - he pays a guy to mow his Pastures (we both have 20 acres) then the guy bales and sells the Hay

he really needs to be living in a Town House with no yard, somewhere

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2019, 03:40:33 PM »
So true Tango.

There were many times in the past, I lived in apartments because of my work schedules that didn't allow me the time to take care of a house and yard. Those days are far behind me though.

It's a constant daily thing of taking care of a house and property. And the more of you have, the more there is to take care of. Many people don't fully realize that. I suspect your neighbor is one of those types of people.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2019, 08:45:49 PM »
That rain storm the other night sure perked up the grass. The wife helped me finish up the mowing when she got back from the grocery store. got a little to do in the back yard tomorrow, before it gets too hot and humid. And it was hot and humid today. Got the firewood restacked and the weedeating done as well. We knocked off about 1:30 because it was starting to get miserable out there.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2019, 07:58:52 AM »
saturday morning - heard rain on one of the skylights this morning - got a ground-wetting shower - checked the Tyler radar depiction and saw that is just localized.....but.....there's a goodly amount of weather in the vicinity of TXAZ' ranchero and I'm hoping that some of it'll head this way

those 34 new trees that my Wife bought and had planted (that ought to cover us for a bunch of up-coming Arbor Days !) need watering (by hand, or by momma nature) and I find that an unpleasant job (she's in Sydney, Au for 6 days  :frown:)

manana (sunday) the (strapping/young) Kid will be here for another day's work - will have him help with setting 5 additional fence posts (far out on the property at 2 different location) - setting to offer support for "sagging" fence.....and then I'll have him do Pasture poop detail

then, if that doesn't round out the day, I've got 5 1/2 gallons of Barn/Fence stain and I'll put him to work on the newly build cross fences and top boards

meantime.....I've had new tubes put in one of the tires on the poop detail trailer and one of the tires on my wheelbarrow (when it rains, it.....oh well)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2019, 04:04:32 PM »
I noticed the other day, that I had some Chinese Tallow trees that came up. I already transplanted one, but there are about ten or eleven in this bunch I found the other day and they are already almost 2' tall. Going to water them down pretty good and maybe transplant them next week.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2019, 04:24:31 PM »
the Kid and I worked thru the day - got the 5 supporting fence posts set in concrete where needed around the property - he did poop detail and weeded a number of flower beds - then I sent him off with my chainsaw and he cut up and set out for pick up that fallen tree that was in the middle back Pasture

I "serviced" the cement pond and then cooked for the 4 Dogs - hamburger meat with a large chicken liver (all cooked at the same time) - the Dogs loved it, they all ate so they'll all get a couple of tablespoons of Bluebell Vanilla Homemade Ice cream later this afternoon - gooooood doggies

my Wife usually makes 3 or so sandwiches for him (and an ice chest with water and Gatorade) - I just fixed the ice chest and then took him to a local restaurant for a noontime sandwich

manana the housecleaning gal does her thing here then I might run into Tyler and get more of that yummy Sirloin Steak from Sam's Club

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2019, 04:27:58 PM »
got started on putting in "another" gate today (I think this'll be my 8th, or so, since moving here a year ago)

this will allow me to drive thru from our "non-pastures areas" to the near and far back pastures without having to worry that the Boys (our Horses) might get thru an open gate - as it is now I've got to "get off the tractor/open a gate/get on the tractor and drive thru/get off the tractor to close the gate/ get on the tractor and drive to the next gate for the same routine (2 or 3 times)

removed 2 posts (which are 5'/center to center) and it gives a perfect opening for a 13' steel stock fence (with 2x6 "shims" on each end) - a perfect amount of room for the latching mechanism and the hinges

will take a couple of days to finish because I've got other "stuff" to do - but I'm a happy camper about this latest "mod"

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2019, 08:10:46 PM »
We got started about 7 am tearing out about 1500' of old fencing this morning. We finished up for the day about 11 and have about 90% of it done now.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2019, 04:01:39 PM »
finding out that my outdoor work is limited because of this b.s. pain in my right heel   :bangheadonwall:  did manage to use the walk-behind mower down the length of the driveway, along the curb where the zero-turn can't get close enough without the risk of dropping off the curb and hitting the cutting blades

then - drove to Lowe's (10% DV discount) and bought two 6x6x8' treated posts that I'll set in 100lbs each worth of concrete (might use more) - want the "beefier" posts 'cause I won't be using a support wheel at the end of this 13' steet stock gate and don't wanna trust the normal 4x4s

6x6x8' treated posts, by the way, are very HEAVY sons-a-guns !  couldn't lift 'em outta the truck - had to drag 'em and let 'em drop

then, as the heel started to really hurt, did some Tractor mowing in the far back Pasture.....there was a breeze, sorta, but it felt like it was coming off the Desert - quit when my water supply turned very warm

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2019, 05:29:42 PM »
I have Fred Flintstone flat feet and have had some type of foot/feet problems since I can remember. I haven't had a flare up of Plantar since I retired two years ago and can only share with you what worked for me. I bought two pair of these for my work shoes and put two in my right work boot. These worked fairly well but wasn't a magic cure. Did alleviate the pain noticeably when walking.

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-FASCIITIS-Orthotics-Fasciitis/dp/B01MPYEAI5?SubscriptionId=AKIAINYWQL7SPW7D7JCA&tag=verywellfit-20&linkCode=sp1&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01MPYEAI5&ascsubtag=4173353%7Cn04b48e11fac240f78474c378a837813821&th=1

The best thing, bar none, were these Sonuk yoga mat flip flops. Going on three years now with the same pair. I wear these everywhere that casual dress is allowed and when the temperature is above fifty. A little pricey but they helped me more than anything else I tried.

https://www.sanuk.com/mens-flip-flops/beer-cozy-3/1099396.html#start=9&cgid=mens-view-all

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2019, 05:50:12 PM »
will pass on the flip flop thingies - got too many "things" going on down there (hammer toes, arthritis, flat feet and heel bone spurs.....both feet)

will get the Dr Scholls inserts (Wife thinks she got a set of those for me a while back but I don't know where they are..)

thanks for the info

Offline Shield45

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2019, 08:25:32 PM »
My little project last weekend and finish up this weekend on my land. An almost completely from salvaged materials shed on the end of my tractor shed. Tired of lugging generator chain saws etc etc back n forth.

So far this is what I got. The tim will be trimmed for roof. 

10x4 pallets with plywood floor.
Attached to other shed.
Will fix the opening on the old shed so the new one will be secure.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2019, 07:22:37 AM »
did buy the Dr Scholls inserts - they seem to help - thanks again

removed the Rotary Cutter yesterday and with the help of my Wife we hooked up the Post Hole digger.....started digging the 2 holes in which the 6x6s will be set but deeper than about 6" the ground is as hard as seasoned Adobe - so - have poured buckets of water into the shallow holes, let it soak overnight and will head out today to see how much deeper the Digger can go - may have to continue with the water soaking bit over a few days.....

also removed a couple of other old posts as they're not capable of holding even 4" screws - this Gate Project is turning into a troublesome venture that shouldn't take as long to accomplish as it is..... :help:  (but, will eventually "get-r-done")

the strapping 18 y/o kid comes here manana and I've got a growing list of "stuff to do" for him - and it always starts out with "poop detail" in the Pastures - another large branch has falled from my 1 remaining Pecan tree and that needs to be chainsawed and pieces taken to the street for City pick up.....and that's just to get him warmed up for the rest of the day's work

Offline Shield45

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2019, 09:07:49 AM »
Well for a grand total of  $140 in materials hardware a couple sheets of tin and the latch/lock I now no longer will be hauling generator chain saw and other “things” I want to leave on the land back n forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2019, 04:43:31 PM »
another gate installed - this one is a 13' steel stock gate - will allow me to access the back Pastures with my Tractor "without" having to go to the trouble of opening/closing/opening/closing gates, as I did when I had to go thru the Boy's (Horses) pastures

set the BIG 6x6 treated posts and mounted the gate on it's hinges, along with the latching mechanism - then removed 18' of old fencing on both sides of the gate posts and will replace with new 2x6 treated lumber (about 180 running feet of 2x6s)

did run into a couple of problems.....1)  had to re-drill the hinge holes - had 'em too low and the ground slopes "up" from left (hinged side) to right (no real problem there).....and.....2) as ya look at the pic there's old(er) posts to either side of the new gate posts - the 2nd one to the left of the left new left post is weathered and cracked at ground level.....so, gonna have to dig it up and put in a new post before I can start on the horizontal boards on that side of the gete

a turism :  1 job begets 2 jobs (always has, always will - nothing is simple)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2019, 05:31:03 PM »
the work outside in the summer's heat is taking a toll - had feet problems, then the plantar fasciitis crap, then the dizzy spells/heart thing/heart monitor - none go well in this friggin' heat and humidity   :thumbsdown:

but work has to get done - this latest gate is just about ready to be finished - might look a bit strange because the original fence is built on a slope - took out a portion and installed the gate, which is lever (while the fence slopes down on one side and up on the other)

have all the horizontal boards "hung" on the posts - just have to "top" the installed posts with the Chain Saw and then the top boards will get installed - staining after that and another job finished (so I can get back to normal stuff, like poop detail....)

but tomorrow I'll drive my Wife to DFW so she can catch a plane to chicago (ugh) - all united airlines employees have to go there (sometime this year) to sit thru a rah rah, look at how well we're doing b.s. presentation - I'm glad I'm retired !.....then I'll drive back to DFW on wednesday to pick her up

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2019, 10:33:36 AM »
oh yeah baby.....some serious and seriously needed rain today (another "off the target" by the local WIs)  -  much needed and I promise not to yell "stop" unless I'm going under for the 3rd time - our Boys are really gonna enjoy the "wet" and the cooler weather that this system has brought ( 1 of the 4 dogs hates it - the noise of the thunder )

the gate install/bad boards replacement in the fence around it is basically finished - all posts "topped" and horizontal boards in place - just need to get out there with a container of 4" wood screws and a bucket of stain w/brush

my Wife is in chicago (poor thing !) - attending a "rah rah, we is doin' good" mandatory company presentation (to which all her fellow employees must attend sometime this year) but she'll be pleased to see that she and I have done on this "install"

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2019, 10:53:21 AM »
so far this morning we've been blessed with 1 3!4" of that sweet rainfall - radar "says" more on the way - seems like a good time to get a pot of Chili on the stove and start making a Chili Relleno Casserole