Author Topic: ..another Project..  (Read 8912 times)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
Re: ..another Project..
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2019, 07:53:11 AM »
sitting here this morning and this "view" from one of our security cameras caught my eye, so thought I'd share

looking from the garage area down the private driveway, past the neighbor's house (on the right) and all the way down to the street (along that tree line on the left

my Pond on the left and to the left of that the west fence of the front Pasture

you can perhaps see HOW FRIGGIN' MUCH curbing that I've gotta keep edged - I think I measured it at 1100+ feet (but I really don't mind.....just like to complain)

Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Online TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2019, 09:23:22 AM »
Wow, Tango.  If you're doing all this yourselves, I'm impressed.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2019, 09:58:59 AM »
yeah, it's all me (now that my Wife is out flying for 9 days in a row) - whatcha don't see in the Purdy picture are the grasses growing up around the Pond that have to be weedeated (I've got about 1/2 of it done - the "green" ya see in the pic are Water Plants that I don't cut)

now.....sitting and waiting for the culligan man to get here (when ?  I don't know) but I've got work that needs to be done - more top boards on the newly constructed fences.....chop up another tree branch that's fallen across my fence way out on the back Pasture.....run the Spartan zero turn mower over all the lawns.....poop detail in the front and the new Pastures

I need about 3 or 4 of "me" with no outside interference (rather than sitting while the housecleaning gal does her thing and waiting for culligan)

but I wouldn't have it any other way

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2019, 11:37:11 AM »
yeah, it's all me (now that my Wife is out flying for 9 days in a row) - whatcha don't see in the Purdy picture are the grasses growing up around the Pond that have to be weedeated (I've got about 1/2 of it done - the "green" ya see in the pic are Water Plants that I don't cut)

now.....sitting and waiting for the culligan man to get here (when ?  I don't know) but I've got work that needs to be done - more top boards on the newly constructed fences.....chop up another tree branch that's fallen across my fence way out on the back Pasture.....run the Spartan zero turn mower over all the lawns.....poop detail in the front and the new Pastures

I need about 3 or 4 of "me" with no outside interference (rather than sitting while the housecleaning gal does her thing and waiting for culligan)

but I wouldn't have it any other way

Well your hard work shows Tango. You have a beautiful place there.  :th_thicon_idea:

It takes a lot of hard work and constant attention to keep a place looking beautiful.

I too wished I had 3 or 4 of me! My biggest problem is finding people that will do things to my expectations, and standards. My second ex-wife thought she would hire her friend's oldest son to take care of our yard once a week, doing the mowing and weedeating and general lawn stuff. (He apparently had worked for a landscaper a couple of summers. So she thought that made him qualified!) She was paying him $50 a week, and on top of that, we werer supplying the mowers and equipment and the gas, ect. His first time doing the job, it was passable to my standards of how I did it. From there it went way downhill fast. He lasted about a month before I fired him. She was a bit perturbed with me for doing that, but I refused to pay someone to do a job, then have to go back and re-do their work because they half-assed the job, plus not taking care of my equipment that I was providing. She thought she was doing me a favor and freeing up more time for me to spend on other things that needed doing. Not if I'm having to go back and correct the mistakes someone else was doing, or not doing.

I have very specific ways of wanting things done. I'm money and time ahead just doing them myself, plus I don't have to explain to myself why I want it done a certain way!
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2019, 11:49:36 AM »
I was paying a 19 y/o kid ($10/hour) for a while - then after a few times he wouldn't get back to us (perhaps got a higher paying job and embarrassed to say so)

also have picked up day laborers (both down south when living there) and here - they're sorta hit and miss - a very few time ya get someone that does a heck of a good job, then other times you'll get someone who sits around, leaning on a shovel and talking on his cell phone

the son's-a-guns can't be found for $12 per hour anymore - even tho we treat 'em right by furnishing an iced cooler with water and Gatorade and buy 'em lunch of their choice (Mexican or American)

when ya get bad ones it's not worth my time to hover over 'em and make sure they "work"

perhaps I should get an ICE windbreaker and head to the area they stand around and wait for those $15 per hour jobs.....

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2019, 12:58:42 PM »
If I'm going to pay someone to do a job, that I can do formyself, they had better bring their "A" game and do way better than I can do  it.

I just ain't going to spend good money for half-assed work. I could do half-assed myself for free!
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2019, 03:19:46 PM »
phew.....stained black the support posts for the Horse Training/Farrier gate (and the horizontal 2x6s that support the posts) somewhat early this morning and it was actually not bad, temp-wise, with a breeze blowing

finished that around 9:30 and went Tractorin'.....checked out a fallen tree (to see what it's gonna take to chop it up) then went to the area that our tree removal people did a bunch of work for us out on the far back Pasture.....when they were there the ground was still very wet and they made A WHOLE FRIGGIN' LOT

ah darn - had more to say but the site went bonkers - cut to chase.....did a whole lot of work today

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2019, 08:59:43 PM »
Finally was able to shred most of my lot today. Part of it I had not been able to get to for a couple months with the rain etc.

Started at 7-11. Then break till about 1239 then til 2. Then break again til about 3 then til 430. Then had to run to town and get fuel (burned my 10 gal I brought.) then from 7 til about 830.

Man that lower field was thick and tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2019, 09:03:31 PM »
Did some weedeating and filled in some low spots in the driveway this morning. Generally just sort of taking it easy for a few days. Going to get the smaller tractor Monday and do some more dirt work around the house that needs to be done now that it's getting dried up.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2019, 07:00:25 AM »
I got a good "start" on repairing the ruts made by the heavy, loaded trucks and trailers belonging to the tree removal people - the ruts are/were almost a foot deep - the bottom edge of the bucket/loader does a pretty good "box blade" job of pulling and moving dirt - quite a large area and I'm about 1/2 way done there

also worked on ruts that I made across the seasonal stream (going from the mid back Pasture to the far back Pasture during the "wet") - still somewhat juicy there but was able to do an "OK" job

knocked off around 1:30 yesterday but had to clean the Tractor - then while out I decided to move a couple of Trailers so that I could mow the grass under them - then moved to old/heavy gate pieces so as to mow there - then saw other areas that are growing really fast, so mowed there, then cleaned that mower and after it was time to shower and feed the animals (and myself) - so much for quitting at 1:30 (seems to happen every day  :th_thicon_idea:)

(after 9 days at work and in Houston my Wife will be driving home today - yea.....)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2019, 12:24:33 PM »
Yeah I hear ya on the ruts! I got some that will be needing to be fixed once I bring the smaller tractor over here to the house. But waiting a couple more days should be good for the ground to dry up a bit more and make it easier to do the dirt work.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2019, 01:17:46 PM »
phew.....our couple of days of cooler temps are over - started at 7:30 this morning and had to come in to cool down (@ 1:00) - working on putting top boards on the new fences and wrestling those 2x6x20' treated monsters is a real workout for this old guy (actually it's the heat and my damned feet that limit how much I can do)

decided that we'll put in another steel stock gate - this one so that I can get my Tractor from the front yard and driveway area over to the near back Pasture "without" having to open and close 2 gates (so the Boys can't follow and run free) - a new gate can be left open and we won't have to worry about the Horses

a 10' gate would be adequate but I've got a 15' one sitting around not being used - so will probably use it - already have a support wheel and a latching mechanism for it

work around "the Ranch" just keeps poppin' up (but I love it)

Offline Ranger99

• Owns a Gunbelt
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2019, 02:30:03 PM »
if you want to hire border jumpers for chores,
you have to go to highway 80 and head west to
the little motel on the south side of the road.
that's where they all stand out in the mornings
waiting for someone to pick them up for work
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Online TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2019, 02:42:00 PM »
if you want to hire border jumpers for chores,
you have to go to highway 80 and head west to
the little motel on the south side of the road.
that's where they all stand out in the mornings
waiting for someone to pick them up for work

Must have been a Home Depot there in the past? :scream3:

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2019, 03:17:52 PM »
I've hired from that location before - it's hit or miss when it comes to hard workers

last time I stopped I said $12/hr, we furnish lunch and cold water/Gatorade in a cooler (for yard work) - no takers, not enough pay

ok fellows, just stand there all day playing games on your cellphones

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2019, 04:35:31 PM »
We started about 9 this morning leveling some of the dirt in the yard that had to be done with the rake and shovel. About 2 we finally got it done enough, that I now have the sprinkler wetting it down. That seems strange since just a little over two weeks ago there was standing water in those areas! It's dang near dry as a bone now.

The guy I'm working a deal with to cut up my downed oak trees dropped of a cord of oak, hickory and pecan wood for my smoker. When they get the trees cut up, the 300 yard rifle range will be clear again!
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2019, 04:43:38 PM »
I set out some good sized Pecan limbs for a guy that I know would appreciate 'em - but perhaps he didn't get the "word", 'cause they're still sittin' down by the street (the City will get 'em just after the 1st.....oh well)

yeah, I know whatcha mean about rags to riches (or.....wet to dry) - grass in the new Pasture is really starting to turn brown - a nice, gentle rain would really be appreciated - I've had my sprinklers set for twice a week (and can sure see it on the Water Bill  :frown:)

Axxe - do you/have you ever sharpened the cutting blades on your Brush Hog ?  Mine seems to feel like they could use a bit of a more sharp edge (in the seat of my pants) that altho they don't look dull or dented up - some "bogging down" in this tall grass

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2019, 05:01:05 PM »
I set out some good sized Pecan limbs for a guy that I know would appreciate 'em - but perhaps he didn't get the "word", 'cause they're still sittin' down by the street (the City will get 'em just after the 1st.....oh well)

yeah, I know whatcha mean about rags to riches (or.....wet to dry) - grass in the new Pasture is really starting to turn brown - a nice, gentle rain would really be appreciated - I've had my sprinklers set for twice a week (and can sure see it on the Water Bill  :frown:)

Axxe - do you/have you ever sharpened the cutting blades on your Brush Hog ?  Mine seems to feel like they could use a bit of a more sharp edge (in the seat of my pants) that altho they don't look dull or dented up - some "bogging down" in this tall grass

Yes we do Tango. I sort of just look at how they are cutting, or not cutting to judge when they need to be dressed up a bit. Bit we have lots of sand and dirt, and that can dull blades very quickly around here. Riding mower blades, I'm lucky to get a little over a year out of a pair, from the dirt dulling them and having to constantly sharpen them.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2019, 05:24:59 PM »
ok, I'm gonna "do" the rotary cutter blades - and the Wife has been hinting that the Spartan just might need an edge, or two.....always somethin', isn't it

Offline Ranger99

• Owns a Gunbelt
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2019, 12:45:41 PM »
. .Must have been a Home Depot there in the past? :scream3:

not that i've ever known of. it's still a relatively small town,
and most of the growth is to the south on the highway towards
tyler. most of that stuff east and west of town is from the days
when 80 was the main drag going east or west pre interstate.
lotta yuppies moving into that region though, so i'm sure we'll
see lots of espresso bars and art galleries and sh*t like that
in the future. the dope has already made it there.
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible