Author Topic: ..another Project..  (Read 12463 times)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
..another Project..
« on: June 02, 2019, 04:58:08 PM »
I'm stymied with Pasture mowing because there's just too much that still wet - so - switched to another project

gonna build 2 lengths of X-fencing, each about 100' across and each will have a 16' metal stock gate - rough estimate for materials is twenty six 8' treated posts and fifty 2x6x16 treated boards

also took a rough measurement for another fence that'll divide my neighbor's place and ours - that'll require a little over 200' for fencing - but that'll come later after our Pasture X-fencing is done

so, off with the Rotary Cutter/on with the Post Hole Digger (not looking forward to the wrestling match between me and those implements.....)

ALWAYS something to do around "the Ranch"
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
Re: ..another Project..
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 01:00:11 PM »
this is the area that we're gonna X-fence - it's roughly 200' deep and 100' across - the new fencing will be from where the present fence on the right of the pic "turns", to the left and connect with the fence that's already there

then about17' this side of the fence that can be seen at the far end of this pic we'll put another X-fence in place - that'll create a 17x100' "catch" area where we can work with the Horses and where the Ferrier can do his thing

total area of this new Pasture will be just short of 1/2 an acre (and I'll install one of the water troughs about 1/2 way down on the right for the Boys)

(the large tree on the left won't be "in" the Pasture.....but it's "shade" will  :th_thicon_idea:)

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 01:30:26 PM »
Fencing is one of those jobs that I just don't like doing. I'd rather clear brush that do fencing. And I have to start on some new fencing myself next fall.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 03:19:44 PM »
I really don't mind putting in a new fence - my Wife and I built the X-fence that can be seen (maybe) at the far end of the above pic - those treated 16' boards are heavy and I couldn't do any of it without her

she and I just got the Post Hole Digger/Auger hooked up to the Tractor (tough job, lots of heavy metal there even tho I've got a stand for it but, once again, she helped me with the hook-up

might start the digging manana and/or off to Lowe's to get the lumber and redi-crete (mixing the concrete is the hardest part)

Offline riattta

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
  • NRA RSO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 08:59:40 AM »
you can buy concrete that you just dump into the whole and add water . it is the red bag . you dump it in add some water. I poke it a bit with a stick . and that is it.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 01:28:07 PM »
went to Lowe's this morning - got twenty six 4x4x8' treated Posts, twenty six 80lb bags of redi-crete and two 16' metal Stock Gates

will probably start punching holes in the ground manana (will do that for these 2 X-fences and for that 200+' fence that'll be built later (the one dividing my neighbor's place and ours)

the redi-crete gets covered with a plastic tarp and left of my Trailer until I'm ready to mix and pour

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 03:41:21 PM »
My new fence will so much easier! Just T posts and some barb wire will be needed.

But Tango, I do understand the need for your type of fencing. Horses need very well built and sturdy fencing, to keep them in, and also to keep them from injuring themselves on the fencing.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 06:08:49 PM »
yeah, most of the back Pastures are fenced with a combination of T posts then interspersed with wooden posts and there's barbed wire strung - a "no no" for our Boys (there is a large amount of wooden fencing already in place on the property however)

we'll never get the entire property fenced like we'd like it to be but we'll get these smaller, connecting sections done when we can

the Wife is already looking at another location.....our Pond is between our driveway and the Boy's present Pasture - she'd like to fence that in and have access (a gate) thru which they could "go and cool off" - I don't mind doing that 'cept that's the area thru which our City water, electricity and City sewer run - would take some careful post hole digging in order to fence there

Offline TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 08:16:30 PM »
Tango
Im impressed. 

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 06:10:14 AM »
you can buy concrete that you just dump into the whole and add water . it is the red bag . you dump it in add some water. I poke it a bit with a stick . and that is it.

thanks for the info but I'm not sure I wanna "take the chance" with that product - "old school" I guess..when I hand mix I know that every stone is "wet" and that the cement is in a liquid state

Offline Ranger99

• Can Pass the CHL Test
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 01:28:26 PM »
one of the many drawbacks of keeping horses.
if there's a sharp something on a fence, they
will find it no matter how isolated or out of the
way it is.  :bangheadonwall:
just me, i'd put up some fence tape and a good
charger where ever i wanted to fence off
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 03:50:19 PM »
one of the many drawbacks of keeping horses.if there's a sharp something on a fence, they will find it no matter how isolated or out of theway it is..

yes, when we were "prepping" the front Pasture (after we moved here and before we brought the Boys up) we replaced a huge number of the existing fence's "top boards" with new, where needed - the Horses like to walk the fence line and have their neck along that top board (I just finished bonfire burning all the old lumber that we removed)

will have to do the same with this new, smaller Pasture as there are quite a few that are too rough, warped, cracked and just plain need replacing

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2019, 07:18:06 AM »
got a late start on "fencin'" yesterday (the weekly house cleaning gal didn't finish until late) and we managed to punch just 2 post holes in the ground, then stopped

I've been having episodes of dizziness of late - happens (sometimes) when, after things like being on the ground doing something and then getting up, or bending down to pick up something on the floor or ground - have an appointment with the VA doc on the 17th so will let her know about that.....been goin' on for a while but it's off and on, not all the time

meantime, back out on the Pasture this morning (after feeding the Boys and cleaning some Shrimp for tonight's dinner) - will drill the other 2 post holes then start hand mixing concrete and set the 4 gate posts - will wait until those are "set" before measuring and drilling the rest of the post holes

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 06:18:32 AM »
a snag in the fence building.....

original idea was to put in 2 X-fences, each with a gate.....have put in the 4 posts (2 for each gate) and drilled all the post holes for one of the X-fences (guessing 8 additional holes)

started laying out the line for the 2nd fence but there's a HUGE tree at one end of the proposed line - knew this and had planned on angling around it.....trouble is it's extensive, large root system.....have changed the angle a couple of times but to no avail - roots everywhere

my solution would be to "cut out" a rectangular chunk of that part of the Pasture (leaving the tree outside the new Pasture) but my Wife says the Boys (Horses) wouldn't want to go into the new Pasture if there was no tree/shade for them.....I disagree, but I'll head back out there today and put my mind to work

I really don't want to cut any Roots, but.....

otherwise, the work is coming along quickly - ready to start setting posts in concrete along the 1st X-fence line

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 08:08:39 AM »
Tango, maybe do your rectangular "cut-out" the opposite direction, and include the tree's shade in the new pasture?

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2019, 10:32:40 AM »
looked at doing that but the existing fence angles away and a downward slope both begin at that tree - would require a lot more fencing - plus in that slope, below the tree. a previous owner cutoff a bunch of saplings and left their little stumps sticking up (maybe 1-2" diameter each) - would injure the Boys should they step on one of 'em - there's too many of 'em to consider digging them up and out

we're taking a break, for thought and hopefully will come up with something agreeable to both of us

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2019, 12:11:01 PM »
had it planned then the big dang Tree got in the way..... :help:

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 02:15:10 PM by Tango »

Offline Ranger99

• Can Pass the CHL Test
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 01:54:18 PM »
you just build a "shade" in the area where there are no trees.
(4 corner posts- frame the top- barn tin on top- 8X8X8 is big enough)
there's many a one of these all over the state. you're not depending
on any leaves to provide shade. it'll be there forever, or as long
as you want it to be.
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 05:50:40 PM »
yeah - don't wanna build any "out structures" - this Pasture is in close proximity to the Barn - plenty of shade there (just have to get my Wife over to my side.....)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 07:08:55 AM »
the Wife, finally, acquiesced to my thinking of how to set-up this new Pasture's fencing.....errands in Tyler yesterday so no work done but the local WIs are calling for a mild day temp of 80 today so we'll be off punching post holes to find the best route for the new X-fence - once that's done we'll start mixing concrete and set posts (don't wanna hang any of the 16' metal stock gates until I install the support wheels on the opening ends)

need to get this project finished so I can get back to mowing - the rain and sunshine are combining to allow the grasses to grow at a very rapid pace.....