Author Topic: Range Report on Used Taurus M380 revolver and S&W 380EZ  (Read 389 times)

Offline cporfe

• Supporting Member
  • Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
Range Report on Used Taurus M380 revolver and S&W 380EZ
« on: May 28, 2019, 05:46:24 PM »
Just came back from Shady Oaks range in Cedar Park.  I had bought a used Taurus M380 revolver that uses .380 acp in moon clips.  I fired mostly Golden Sabre 102 grn. Stopped at 35 rounds.  Didn't like it at all.  Lots of recoil and the clips didn't always fit well enough to let the gun cycle.  This one will be cleaned and put in the back of the safe for another day.

On the hand, I shot my S&W 380EZ with the same ammo and loved it.  Also shot some of the Creedmoor .380 with the Hornady XTP bullet.  This gun liked it too.  Of course it's a bigger gun and meant for belt carry.  But it's nice to shoot at the range and the mags are so easy to load with their little buttons on the sides so you don't need a tool.

I can't recommend highly enough this S&W for anyone who wants a slightly larger semi-auto than the pocket bruisers but doesn't like the full 9mm recoil of the belt carry size single stack.  I've got half a dozen single stack 9mms and 5of the 380 "pocket" size and between them all, I'll take the 380EZ to the range first. 

I'm on the 7 day weekend plan.  I'm retired!!

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Re: Range Report on Used Taurus M380 revolver and S&W 380EZ
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 06:19:41 PM »
Excellent.  :th_thicon_idea:

Actually, I'm fixing to move away from my 380's, and go to another 9mm pistol. I bought a Bersa Thunder 380 several years ago. It's a great pistol, and I love it's size, and I frequently pocket carry it. So far, it's never failed me once.

At the time, I wanted a small pistol for pocket carry and for the wife as well, but there weren't that many choices in pistols in 9mm that size, for a decent price. Now the options are much better. The main reason is 9mm is better priced than 380, plus much better selection is available as well. The added benefit of having a round that is a little higher powered is a slight plus as well.

A few that I'm considering are the SA XD-S, or the XD-E, the Glock 26, or the Sig Sauer P365.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline Tarosean

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • You can make excuses or you can make ready.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 06:21:15 PM »
I can't recommend highly enough this S&W for anyone who wants a slightly larger semi-auto than the pocket bruisers but doesn't like the full 9mm recoil of the belt carry size single stack.  I've got half a dozen single stack 9mms and 5of the 380 "pocket" size and between them all, I'll take the 380EZ to the range first.

My wife bought one a while ago and it took me a while to try it out.  Her arthritis was making it hard to shoot her G19 and she was shooting it less and less so was in search for an easier answer.. (pun intended)

I'll be upfront and honest and state that I am normally not a fan of M&P's, after owning several.
However, that gun (EZ) is the bees knees, I was quite impressed after shooting a few boxes of ammo through it. (no easy feat since I am more enamored by high end guns)
I'll probably pick up another for down the road when I become geriatric.. :)   

Offline Tarosean

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • You can make excuses or you can make ready.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 06:22:50 PM »

A few that I'm considering are the SA XD-S,

I'll sell ya a 9mm..  :th_thicon_idea:

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 06:56:26 PM »
I've had the Shield EZ for a couple of months now and found it to be everything it's supposed to be. My local Academy had a sale of Sig Sauer 100gr Elite performance and 90gr V Crown ammo and ran a box of each through the new Shield. I've had several .380's in my long life and the EZ by far the most accurate of all of them. Smith & Wesson hit a home run with this one.

On another subject I remember driving south on Hwy. 183 through Cedar Park when it didn't have traffic lights and the first stop light was at the Austin city limits where Mopac and 183 intersect now. Welcome to Austin Population 60,000. That was fifty years ago.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 08:26:48 PM »
Good to hear good things about the S&W EZ

Offline cporfe

• Supporting Member
  • Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 09:44:52 PM »
Hey, thanks for all the comments so far.  Watch that geriatric talk, I just celebrated my 66th and resemble that remark!  :-)   

I'd never buy another Glock 26.  Had one and fired it many times, but actually hated it.  Gave me Glock knuckle.  I finally got rid of it.  For 9mm carry, I prefer my Gen 2 Remington R51 or Kahr CT9.  Both single stacks and limited in ammo count for their size but each has over 400 rounds of HP through them with zero defects for the R51 and zero for the Kahr after the first 100 rounds.  I suppose if I were to carry a double stack again, it'd probably be a compact PX4.  I don't have one, but I've had a full-size and loved the rotating barrel concept.  I replaced it with a Cougar 8000F which is the metal forerunner Beretta made and sold off to Stoeger when Beretta went polymer with the concept.   It really helped the recoil.

I do have one Glock 19 that I had the trigger guard modified by Blackjack gunsmithing to help mitigate the knuckle problem.  But's kind of big for a short fat guy like me to carry.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 06:48:48 PM by cporfe »
I'm on the 7 day weekend plan.  I'm retired!!

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 09:47:46 PM »
Lowest recoiling 45 ACP I have ever shot was a 45 ACP Cougar

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 06:48:40 AM »

A few that I'm considering are the SA XD-S, or the XD-E, the Glock 26, or the Sig Sauer P365.

(not meaning to hijack the fellows thread, but..)  I've got a G26 and it's pulling duty as my Truck's center console weapon of choice  -  tho I almost never carry these days I prefer my Sig 938 (even with it's less capacity), it's lighter (empty) and in my opinion, better built  -  don't know about the XDs  -  but the Sig P365 looks interesting
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 10:33:49 AM »

(not meaning to hijack the fellows thread, but..)  I've got a G26 and it's pulling duty as my Truck's center console weapon of choice  -  tho I almost never carry these days I prefer my Sig 938 (even with it's less capacity), it's lighter (empty) and in my opinion, better built  -  don't know about the XDs  -  but the Sig P365 looks interesting

From all the reviews I have read, for the most part, the 380EZ gets some really great ones. But, I already have a pistol in 380, and it's been a great pistol. There is nothing wrong with the 380 round either, except that 9mm ammo is better priced and has a much better selection in comparison to 380 ammo. If I were wanting to add another pistol in 380, or get one in 380, the 380EZ would definitely be a contender to check out.

So far, of the choices I mentioned, the Sig P365 is the one I'm leaning towards right now.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)