Author Topic: Calibers: How Big, Is Big Enough?  (Read 777 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Calibers: How Big, Is Big Enough?
« on: May 23, 2019, 03:38:16 PM »
Many of us have seen the typical caliber debates, along with caliber vs. capacity over the years.

IMO, I can bring it down to one factor I consider that makes all the difference in the sake of a life or death situation of self-defense type shooting. Accurate shot placement!

You will typically hear the noobs asking such questions as, "What caliber should I carry?", or "How many extra magazines should I carry on me?", along with other questions of the same type.

Without knowing the person asking those questions personally, and their specific needs, and environment they would carrying in, there is no way that those questions can be answered IMO accurately.

My typical fall back answer is, carry the largest caliber you can shoot accurately, and afford to practice with on regular basis to stay proficient in it's use. Carry the number of extra rounds that makes you feel comfortable carrying. IMO, there are no hard set of standards to such questions and they are going to be purely subjective at best.

Personally, I don't feel any less confident in carrying one of my 380 Auto pistols, in comparison to when I carry a revolver in 44 Magnum. I practice with both on regular basis to stay proficient with both, to maintain that confidence of accurate shot placement.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)