Author Topic: Any 17 Rim-Fire Fans Out There?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Any 17 Rim-Fire Fans Out There?
« on: May 21, 2019, 02:06:44 PM »
My love for the 17 Rim-fire started in about 2003 when I bought my Savage Model 93R17 in 17HMR. I bought it not long after they were introduced to the market after doing a few months research into them.

Bought mine at Gander Mountain over in Corsicana for about $280, with a 3-9 scope included. At the time, I had already pretty much gotten away from hunting, just not having the time to devote to hunting anymore, so I was transitioning more to rifles suited for target shooting. Part of that was the reason for choosing the heavy target barrel version of the Savage 93. At the time, I also was debating on whether to go with the 17HMR or replacing the 22WMR I had sold a couple of years prior. After doing my research, and deciding that I was leaning towards target shooting than hunting, I really like the promising ballistics of the 17HMR over the 22WMR. It was faster and flatter.

At the time I bought mine, the only version available with the heavier target type barrel was synthetic stocked version. Didn't really want the synthetic stock, but that's what I got anyways. I decided at some point in the future I would correct that. LOP was horribly short for me, and it felt like I was shouldering a gun for child. Now I did fall in love with the cartridge. Recoil was almost non-existent. Just a little louder than a 22WMR, but not too terribly bad.

First order of business was seeing about correcting the LOP, so I made a spacer for the stock using a 1"x4" piece of board. Not perfect, but way better. I used it like that for a couple of years, before a member on another gun forum suggested I check out Boyds Gunstocks, which I did. I found a nice laminated nutmeg in style that was appealing to me, and ordered it. a few days later when it arrived, it took me about 20 minutes to change it out. A whole world of difference! It now felt more like a rifle suited for a grown man! It shouldered so much better.

Next was replacing the scope. I ended up going with the BSA Sweet 17 scope in 6-18x40 for it. Much better scope. Now I was really able to reach out beyond a 100 yards!

Next step later on a couple of years later was bedding the rifle stock, and doing some minor trigger work. (mine was the pre-Accu-Trigger version.) Accuracy was increased a bit from these mods as well.

All in all, several times I have thought about selling the Savage, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I love that little rifle!

Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
Re: Any 17 Rim-Fire Fans Out There?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 02:42:37 PM »
ya talkin' 'bout one of these ?  bought this for my Wife a while back - very accurate and fun to shoot

Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 02:48:36 PM »
or maybe somthin' in a .22 - my Tactical Innovations "Rebel" w/25rd mags (based on the Ruger Charger but with all custom parts)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 02:50:44 PM »
my 2 rim fire "long" guns, together

Offline ArmedTexan

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 08:41:38 PM »
I have one, my brother in law gave it to me after I drove all their crap from Denver to Austin in the biggest truck that you can rent. Its not my cup of tea. Would love to sell it one day.

PS, driving I-25 from Denver down to New Mexico is a very beautiful drive.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 11:59:01 PM »
I gave some thought a couple of years ago when they brought out the new 17 rim-fire, the 17WSM, but gave it much thought, and concluded, it was still just another 17 rim-fire, and yes it was a bit faster than the 17HMR, it really didn't offer a huge enough advantage IMO to justify getting rid of my rifle and going to the newer one.

IF I did decide to change to something new to replace my rifle in 17HMR, it would probably be one of the 17 caliber center-fires that I could reload for. The 17 Remington or the 17 Fireball got my attention several years ago when I was doing some research into them. Those little rascals are movers!
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)