Author Topic: No Knock Warrant In Houston, Two Left Dead......  (Read 684 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Ranger99

• Owns a Gunbelt
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
Re: No Knock Warrant In Houston, Two Left Dead......
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 11:31:03 AM »
all i can say is that any p.d. coming in "tactically" for any
reason better be screaming " POLICE DEPARTMENT! ! " or
"SHERIFF"S DEPARTMENT ! ! " or "TEXAS RANGERS ! ! "
or something like that.
if they're screaming "GET ON THE GROUND MOTHER F##KER! ! "
there's going to be one terrible gunfight before whoever
gets wheeled out the door for the last time.

just me- if i were a police chief or in charge of a bunch of
l.e. they'd best keep a clean mouth while on duty no matter
what language the suspects use. if they were trained to use
profanity while on duty they'd be re-trained once
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 12:03:33 PM »
No Knock warrants should be outlawed. The are potential time-bombs waiting to happen and this incidence just proves it for me again. There have been too many incidents like this in the past, and incidents where they have breached the wrong home and people because they didnt't get the address correct, or from incorrect information from an unreliable source.

No Knock warrants are getting people killed, and that is unacceptable, and more so when they are merely innocent bystanders in their own homes. The end does not justify the means in such as these cases.

Some years ago, IIRC, in Florida, there were some home invaders using a technique of dressing up like cops and "invading" people's homes very late at night, or very early in the morning and robbing them. I think it has happened elsewhere as well.

I'm a law-abiding citizen with no reason whatsoever for anyone to perform a No Knock warrant on my home for any reason. So regardless of whom it is, that invades my home will be met with force. Shoot first, ask questions later. And once that dust settles, my attorneys will be the ones asking the crucial questions.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 01:35:31 PM »
I wanna say that in the 1990s, home invaders were doing that in Houston too. I seem to remember some stories in the Houston Chronicle - back when I used to read the paper daily at a job I had.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 02:23:10 PM »
Here's a sad thought.  When I was a young man in the 60's & 70's, HPD had a reputation for throw-down guns, beating confessions out of innocent people, shooting (specific) people because they wanted to, and a host of other issues we'd all be under the jail for.  The management has changed a few times but the BS only seems to have gone underground, raising it's head every decade or so...

I fear this is not an isolated case.  Again.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 03:42:40 PM »
I think that No Knock warrants should, and need to be eliminated and outlawed, unless there is sufficient oversight into how they are done, and how the warrants are being issued. It's just too easy for them to get a judge to sign off on the warrant as it stands currently. And when there is a problem, such as this one, with two innocent people and a dog being shot and killed, that there is no accountability for the damages done. This is unacceptable.

I fully understand honest mistakes, but this seems to be gaining momentum as happening more and more. The main reason for the use of No Knock warrants was so that alleged suspects didn't have the time to destroy key evidence. In light of what has happened many times, with innocent people being shot and even killed, and I will say again, the end does not justify the means being used.

Every one of those officers involved in that raid, should be indicted on charges of murder.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 03:58:46 PM »
Alte,
your view of No Knocks?

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 05:48:22 PM »
I see the need for no knock warrants under certain circumstances but have no love for them personally. I've read to many horror stories over the years of no knocks going wrong and like the above to many things can go wrong. Five years ago, and Ship probably remembers this, a Sergeant with the Burleson County Sheriff's Dept. served a no knock warrant on a rural mobile home outside of Snook.

From the Washington Post of all places:
"Last December 19th, nine of the 10 members of the Burleson County Sheriff’s Department staged a raid on the rural home of Henry Magee. An informant had told Deputy Adam Sowders that Magee was running a major marijuana grow. They’d find 12-14 plants, all over six fee tall, the informant said. Magee also had, according to the informant, a vicious dog and several guns, one of which had been stolen from the Burleson County Sheriff’s Department.

By the time the raid was over, Deputy Adam Sowder was dead. Magee shot him as Sowder and his fellow deputies attempted to force their way into Magee’s home.  Magee was arrested and charged with capital murder — the knowing and intentional killing of a police officer.

A subsequent search of Magee’s home by the Texas Rangers didn’t turn up any six foot pot plants. According to Dick DeGuerin, the well-known criminal defense attorney who took Magee’s case shortly after the raid, the police found two plants about six inches tall, less than an ounce of dried marijuana,  and several seedlings. According to DeGuerin, Magee had four guns in his home, all of them legal, three of which were locked in a safe at the time of the raid. They also didn’t find the gun the informant claimed Magee had stolen. DeGuerrin says Magee’s allegedly vicious dog barked, but never attacked, even when the officers had Magee cuffed and on the ground."

I didn't know the deputy that was killed but several of the deputies I worked with at the time did and they were pretty upset. The local media said that the raid was conducted by a "SWAT" team when, truthfully, it was just a team of deputies (nine of the ten deputies in the department) assembled and briefed by the Sergeant for the purpose of the raid and although the Post story doesn't state it I am fairly certain there was also five pounds of weed found in the mobile home.

I can see no knocks being issued for people suspected of violent felonies like kidnapping or armed robbery suspects but for marijuana? I don't think so. Catch the guy getting into his car or out on the road on his way to work or something. Anyway the suspect was charged with capital murder and drug possession. No billed by the grand jury on the capital murder charge and served 18 months for marijuana possession. A deputy was killed based on erroneous or fabricated evidence from some low life snitch. There is just no sense in that. None. Since then I don't think a no knock warrant has been issued by any local magistrate and there are several states and municipalities that do not allow them at all.

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 07:24:33 PM »
I want to add one more thing. My LEO son came over tonight and I ran the subject of no knock warrant past him. He's, like me, is not a big fan especially for narcotics.
He also told me that he knew the deputy who was killed and that he was a large person. Probably 6'3 and close to 300 lbs. He hit the trailer door twice and was just stepping inside when he was hit with a .308 round in the forehead.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 08:21:05 PM »
I'm not saying that No Knock warrants don't serve a legitimate purpose, if used correctly, and all information is checked, double-checked, and verified beyond a doubt that the person it's being served upon is the correct person, that the information is authenticated and the address is 110% correct.

I wish this was just an isolated case, but it isn't. It seems to be happening with more frequency over the last few years. Personally, if innocent people are being shot, injured, or even killed, in order to get an arrest, it hardly seems worth the cost IMO. No amount of arrests is equal to that.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Ranger99

• Owns a Gunbelt
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 12:55:28 PM »
. . .Some years ago, IIRC, in Florida, there were some home invaders using a technique of dressing up like cops and "invading" people's homes very late at night, or very early in the morning and robbing them. I think it has happened elsewhere as well. . .

that was happening here some years back. they wore the "POLICE" t-shirts and went in
hollering "TASK FORCE!!! TASK FORCE!!!" instead of "POLICE ! !" like all of them should.
something about if you portray yourself as an officer that the penalty is really stiff or
something like that.
i'll also say that i can leave here and in 20 minutes have a pretty complete outfit
of police clothing and footwear that the average joe can't tell the difference from
the real deal. you can't get the correct badge, but it seems a lot of departments
are just wearing the printed t-shirts with a silk screened badge image on the front
which i don't like at all. like i say, i can buy that stuff myself with no difficulty,
so it's my belief that real l.e.'s need to have the real stuff on and carry themselves
as a real cop and act like  the professionals they're supposed to be.
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 01:28:41 PM »
No knock warrants as cops were popular with the cartels in South Texas a few years ago.  Haven't heard much about that lately, but that could become a serious issue.  (Come to think of it there was a rash of guys a few years ago in the DFW area that had cheap flashing lights and cheezy police uniforms that were pulling women over then attacking them. 

While at DPS I got used to wearing the 5.11 Tactical series shirts (like below) that are popular in law enforcement.   I still wear them and often when I'm out I'll get a nod or "hi" from cops, or when I'm downtown eating near the Federal building, some of the restaurants ask if I want the LEO discount.  (The Boy Scout in me says no) 

But that's an issue if someone needs real help and they're looking for 'a shirt'.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2019, 04:01:43 PM »
Just curious what this has to do with a "No Knock" warrant?  :th_nuts:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: No Knock Warrant In Houston Two Left Dead
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2019, 05:49:07 PM »
Your both right, but you forgot the most important thing.

When your dad is caught playing footsies in a public bathroom with another man, and you have an arrest warrant, do your best to stay off of TV
Your either taking advantage of the free WiFi during your rec period at Rusk State Hospital or speaking from experience. Probably both.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: No Knock Warrant In Houston Two Left Dead
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2019, 09:39:11 PM »
Your both right, but you forgot the most important thing.

When your dad is caught playing footsies in a public bathroom with another man, and you have an arrest warrant, do your best to stay off of TV
Your either taking advantage of the free WiFi during your rec period at Rusk State Hospital or speaking from experience. Probably both.

Just as always. I lay down to take a nap and miss all the fun, AGAIN!  :wave1:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.