Author Topic: What If?  (Read 293 times)

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
What If?
« on: May 14, 2019, 01:14:34 PM »
I have used this idea for a thread quite a few times on other various forums, and found it very entertaining and informative.

One of my favorite themes in science fiction movies and books is time travel. I find it fascinating and a way to stimulate the thinking. So the concept or idea of this thread, is what if you could go back in time and change something? Like going back to prior of WW2 and kill Hitler, or Musollini, or even Stalin, or Lenin? Or step into 1963 prior to the Kennedy assassination and stop Oswald from firing those fatal shots? Or even back to 1865 and stop Boothe from assassinating Lincoln?

What is part of the discussion, are if we COULD go back in time and change any of these events, should we, (based upon many different reasons, even the moral implications.) and IF we did change these events, what are  some of the possible alternative timelines that could have taken place?
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: What If?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 03:03:02 PM »
Going back in time to view an event is actually pretty easy.  All you need is a really big telescope on the ground hereand mirror way the heck out in space.  Then you just watch the events as they happen on 'delay'.  You just taking advantage of the time it takes for light to travel a really long distance.  Want to watch "My American Cousin" with Lincoln?  Just put the mirror out 92 light years away.

On the other hand, the "Grandfather's Paradox" and Einstein's General Theory of Relativity pretty well say we can't go back and change the future:  What if you went back and gave your grandfather, as a young man, a vasectomy?  When do you cease to exist?   

But if I could, I'd like to go back about an hour and buy certain stocks...

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 04:10:26 PM »
After seeing certain movies over the years - I have thought about this. I would not interfere at all.

IF you go back and change some drastic event - who is to say that when you go back to the time you originated from - things might not be WORSE?

Say you eliminated Hitler ahead of time. We DID beat him, despite the horrible toll he took on the world. What if something else happened instead of Hitler, and it was terrible. And, we lost that time.

If you start adjusting major world events in history, things could end up very much worse when some OTHER event happens in its place.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 04:52:06 PM »
After seeing certain movies over the years - I have thought about this. I would not interfere at all.

IF you go back and change some drastic event - who is to say that when you go back to the time you originated from - things might not be WORSE?

Say you eliminated Hitler ahead of time. We DID beat him, despite the horrible toll he took on the world. What if something else happened instead of Hitler, and it was terrible. And, we lost that time.

If you start adjusting major world events in history, things could end up very much worse when some OTHER event happens in its place.
One of the better books on this subject is 11/22/63 by Stephen King. It's a about a high school teacher that is introduced to a time portal in a local diner and goes back in time to try and stop Oswald from assassinating President Kennedy. It's absolutely riveting. It's also a pretty good series on HULU. My son recommended me this book and I was not disappointed. Like most of King's stuff it's a long read.

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 07:00:01 PM »

One of the better books on this subject is 11/22/63 by Stephen King. It's a about a high school teacher that is introduced to a time portal in a local diner and goes back in time to try and stop Oswald from assassinating President Kennedy. It's absolutely riveting. It's also a pretty good series on HULU. My son recommended me this book and I was not disappointed. Like most of King's stuff it's a long read.

Alte, I just started watching that mini-series on Hulu last night. Got ne to to thinking about doing this thread again.

So far it's got me hooked and am enjoying it quite a bit.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 08:31:24 PM »
Anyone remember "The Time Tunnel"?

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 11:06:44 PM »
I remember the series back in the late 1960's!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Tunnel
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Ranger99

• 7 Yard Shooter
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 01:47:24 PM »
Anyone remember "The Time Tunnel"?

i remember lee meriwether. . . :thumbsup1:
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 06:54:29 PM »

i remember lee meriwether. . . :thumbsup1:

Heck yes!  And congratulations Ranger99, you just passed you 2019 Male-ness test!

And still a classic and classy lady at 83: