Author Topic: What Would You Do In This Situation?  (Read 218 times)

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
What Would You Do In This Situation?
« on: May 10, 2019, 01:16:39 PM »
I watched a movie last night, and it got me to thinking about what I might do in the same situation.

So here is the hypothetical situation to consider, and what would you do in that situation?

You were out hunting, or camping, or hiking in a very, very remote area, and came across a crashed plane, and upon exploring the plane, found it had been there for some time, the pilot has been dead for some time, say at least several months. So apparently the plane hasn't been located if anyone were looking for it to begin with. Now during the exploration of the plane, a couple of duffel bags of money are found, containing several millions of dollars in them in used bills, along with some bags of contraband drugs like cocaine or marijuana.

Now, more than likely the money is drug money, so it's not like if you took it, it would be really stealing, or like the drug runners are going to declare it to the cops as being stolen! And from appearances, the plane has been sitting there not found for quite some time.

So what would you do in that scenario?

I ask this as purely a hypothetical situation, based off watching a movie and some others, very similar in the past.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Re: What Would You Do In This Situation?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 02:25:48 PM »
Call the police/authorities.

No other choice in my mind. Even if you could get away without anyone seeing ya there and not leaving any evidence, it does not matter. YOU still know.

One should not only do the right thing when someone else is around to see. You do the right thing because it is the right thing to do.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 02:31:37 PM »
What plane?  What money?  What drugs?   :scream3:

While I agree with Ship.  We've all probably seen 'shi+ go down' involving the druggies, and I'm not interested in any part of that. 

So in all seriousness, the 'owners' of that money and drugs would likely come looking for you should it be discovered and reported to the police and you somehow be associated with it.  The only way they have to find out what you did with the rest of the money, or didn't do, would be the most painful experience you could imagine, followed by a very gruesome demise. 

Anonymous report to the police if possible but that says major league personal and family hurt to me.  I'm thinking a quick description with a lat / long to crimestoppers.

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 04:43:14 PM »
I'm sort of in line with the same line of thinking. In just about every one of those types of movies, something usually bad happens to the guy, or guys that found the ill-gotten gains.

Meh? No authorities being involved. I'd just walk away, and make like I never saw the money. The pilot is dead, and has been for probably several months, so nothing I could do for him.

Besides, it's kind of hard for an ordinary and average person to find a place to stash several millions of dollars, and to find places to hide the money.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 05:39:55 PM »
I don't know. I would probably roll a big fat one and think about it.  :P

Seriously, that's a lot of cash to walk away from. My first inclination would be to leave the dope and keep the money. Doubtful that there would still be be an active search for the plane buuttt.... and there's lots of buts.
You can't just walk into a bank with a duffel bag and ask to open an account. Any cash transaction over 10k is required to be reported to the feds. In this digital age large cash transactions sometime are given a little more scrutiny than 10 or 15 years ago. Lot's of variables to think about.
I think I could do a lot of good with that kind of money but are the risks involved worth it? Probably not. I tell you though I would have a hard time leaving it there.
I have seen No Country for Old Men and wouldn't want Chigurh looking for me though.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 11:49:20 PM »
I don't know. I would probably roll a big fat one and think about it.  :P

Seriously, that's a lot of cash to walk away from. My first inclination would be to leave the dope and keep the money. Doubtful that there would still be be an active search for the plane buuttt.... and there's lots of buts.
You can't just walk into a bank with a duffel bag and ask to open an account. Any cash transaction over 10k is required to be reported to the feds. In this digital age large cash transactions sometime are given a little more scrutiny than 10 or 15 years ago. Lot's of variables to think about.
I think I could do a lot of good with that kind of money but are the risks involved worth it? Probably not. I tell you though I would have a hard time leaving it there.
I have seen No Country for Old Men and wouldn't want Chigurh looking for me though.

That first sentence in your post is just priceless Alte! Love it!  :rocknroll2:

Like I said earlier, in just about every one of those types of movies, it just doesn't end well for the good guy in the movie.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 12:49:05 AM »
"Waste not, want not."

No matter what, the drugs in particular are nothing I wanna f*** with, though, for the same reasons you guys have said; that's better off being tossed in a neutralizing chemical bath, or however it is they dispose of it.

In regards to passing along the whereabouts of the crash site: there are tons of ways you can easily report something like drugs to the police anonymously -- either a payphone, an anonymously mailed letter with no return address, or the 21st century equivalent of combining both of those at once: an email sent from a disposable 5 minute email address over an internet connection anonymized through the use of a VPN.

Huge drug busts are always something the media loves to hear about from police and with a gross rotted corpse thrown in for good measure, seeing a news report on TV about the discovery of a downed plane loaded with coke and dead bodies in the area you knew it to be in a week after you submit the tip is a pretty good sign they got the message and acted on the info.

If not, then that's hard luck for the pilot, but seeing as he's already paying for his life choices, that's mostly on him at that point. I would probably make one or two more still anonymous but a little bit more direct attempts to notify the police of the wreck -- unless I'm out on a camping trip out in the middle of nowhere, then it stands to reason this crash site could also be accessible to some high schoolers out on a camping trip, and that's bad juju.

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 12:56:29 AM »
Excellent points Gilgondorin!  :th_thicon_idea:

And here's another point to add, once the plane was found by LE, and there was no mention of the money being found, it's a pretty sure bet the drug runners are going to be putting some special effort into finding that money and who has it. To the drug cartels, the amount of money is irrelevant, just that it belongs to them and they will make the effort to get it back. Who they kill is also irrelevant as well.

So if LE ends up with the money, it then becomes their problem and it's not like the drug cartels are going to go after the cops to get the money back.

Problems solved!  :wave1:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Shield45

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
What Would You Do In This Situation?
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 01:10:36 AM »
One stack of $100 bills from each duffle of cash. A “small” donation for ya know recreational activities of the illicit items and

Plane what plane

Never seen no plane.

No need to be greedy after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk