Author Topic: ..subscription TV..  (Read 611 times)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
..subscription TV..
« on: May 10, 2019, 07:35:12 AM »
wanting to know about Netflix - anyone here subscribe to it ?  if so, please explain what it's all about

as a side :  I sorta got screwed into having Dish and Hughes Net when we moved to this location - I check with Suddenlink but the gal customer service moron misinformed me that it wasn't available for their service - so I signed up with Dish and Hughes as "the only alternative" for TV and Internet - happy with the quality of the reception but very expensive - grrrrr

I've since found out that, in fact, their service IS available (the lines are already in place to my residence) but I'm wired into a 2 year contract

now contemplating taking Suddenlink's offer of helping to "buy out" of other providers contracts - we'll see.....
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline riattta

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
  • NRA RSO
    • View Profile
Re: ..subscription TV..
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 08:18:47 AM »
Netflix used to be better . it doesn't have as many movies as it used to for streaming.  Alot of Netflix produced content now.   You might want to wait . As Disney has merged with 20th Century Fox they might create a new streaming service or buy an existing one.  If you have Amazon Prime you might want to look at Prime Video. It comes with your prime membership.

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 11:21:47 AM »
Tango. we have been in NetFlix about two years now. So far we have been pleased with it. We had to back in January change out Netflix to our Firestick TV, since out device, (Wii game box.) wasn't being supported by NetFlix anymore.

Last December, we did away with Dish satellite service since it had gotten so expensive. When we first moved into this house. our only options were either satellite, (Dish or Direct.) or an antenna. With an antenna, we might have been able to pick up maybe a few local channels. We also went with HughesNet for our internet service. Landline and DSL were getting outrageous in price.

Firestick TV was the best move. We paid for it once and it is ours.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 11:48:52 AM »
thanks for the info guys - I'll look into both Amazon Prime and Firestick TV

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 11:52:33 AM »
Basically, you pay $13.99 a month to be able to watch certain movies and TV shows on demand, the same way you would if you owned a copy of the disk.

You can pause, fast forward, rewind, or rewatch the show/movie as often as you like in a month while your membership is still valid; there are no commercials either. There are options sometimes to add captions, and/or skip sections/chapters of the show/movie. Because it is a mobile streaming service, you can download the app and sign into it and watch Netflix anywhere you want, provided you have a good working data connection -- this includes tablets, smart phones, desktop computers using current versions of Windows specifically, and if you have a smart TV or an Amazon Fire Stick (or similar wired/wirelessly home networked streaming device) you can also watch it through those.

You can create separate profiles under one account that will recommend shows for you to watch based on what you like/have watched previously. If you like watching Westerns but your wife prefers TV drama's, you can utilize the separate profile function so that Netflix will be able to recommend you both specific shows, as well as keep track of your progress on a particular movie/episode, so you can pick it up later in the same spot, even if you're on a different device.

Every so often, they update their catalog. Old shows get dropped, and new ones are added. They usually publish a list of everything they intend to add/drop so you have a good idea on if they have anything that would interest you. Sometimes old shows that aren't generating enough interest to justify the expense of paying for a streaming license are cut; sometimes, the network goes nuts and wants too much money.

As Riatta said, the biggest problem facing Netflix now is that other entertainment and media giants have decided there's money to be made in streaming, and have begun pulling all the good stuff from Netflix in favor of possibly developing their own streaming services instead. Moreover, again as he pointed out, Netflix is pro-actively trying to save its skin by producing its own TV shows in the hopes that they will strike it big and create the next Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead. This means a lot of the stuff they try to push is home-brewed Netflix-produced TV shows you may not have heard much about, if you've even heard of them at all.

We had the service for a while. My sister used it a LOT more than I ever did -- in fact, I hardly ever used it except for about a month and a half to periodically watch re-runs of The Rockford Files and The X-Files before they got rid of them. When they did, there just wasn't anything on there worth watching that justified $14 a month, so I gave them the clip; a friend insisted I watched a few episodes of one of their attempted home-brew shows called Longmire, which looked like it was a poorly executed and therefore really boring attempt at being a 'Clint Eastwood meets Walker, Texas Ranger' ripoff, and I almost died of boredom.

We had a very frustrating time with their servers never seeming to want to cooperate with us. I don't know if it's because we were in a residential neighborhood with probably lots of other people streaming at the same time or what, but it seems like we were forever having to reboot our Firestick to un-freeze the app. It would always freeze randomly, sometimes the video would never buffer for minutes at a time, and sometimes it would just randomly do the netflix equivalent of blue-screening by giving us their "Sorry for the inconvenience, but something broke" messages.

I have to say that even though they're more expensive if you get the extra's and add-ons, I have been seriously tempted to check out Hulu instead, because they cater more to my viewing interests and have a way better selection of TV shows I watch (which are already almost none to begin with).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 02:24:47 PM by Gilgondorin »

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 12:06:06 PM »
thank you, lots of good info there I believe

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 12:52:04 PM »
thanks for the info guys - I'll look into both Amazon Prime and Firestick TV

Unless I'm mistaken, if you get the Firestick TV, it comes with Amazon Prime loaded onto to it. Ours has the Amazon Prime and it has some great movies and TV programs on it.

I'm almost over-loaded by more choices than I had with satellite TV! But at least more choices that I enjoy watching.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 01:00:30 PM »
Gilgondorin, actually "Longmire" was origianlly developed by A&E network, and they cancelled it due to it not meeting the demographics they wanted to hit, even though the show was a success in ratings, they still cancelled it. NetFlix picked up the rights about a year later and started new filming of episodes to carry on their network.

I actually enjoyed the show quite a bit, and was upset when A&E dropped it, but was glad that Netflix decide to carry it in their network.

Actually some of the Netflix developed series and movies are pretty good. One the wife and I like, even though it's a bit graphic, is "Ozark".
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 04:49:59 PM »
Tango be warned that if you have the lower tier Hughes net package you may have trouble streaming Netflix programs. I've read that the streaming problems are minimal if you have the top tier Generation 5 package,
I have Suddenlink  for internet only. I can stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and free HBO through my wife's Amazon Prime account,  w/o a problem.
I'm going to ditch my hi $$$ DISH account this year but keep the basic package for my baseball and football bundles.
Daughter in law gave me a Amazon Firestick last month. Voice activated and easy to navigate. Pulls up all the streaming sites w/o having to go through your television remote.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 07:22:57 PM by Alte Schule »
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 07:09:05 PM »
interesting - I think I'll contact Suddenlink about one of their "once in a lifetime" specials and see how much they'll put towards buying out my Dish and Hughes Net contracts.....

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 10:19:09 PM »
I was very upset with Dish Satellite. We had been with them since we had the house built and moved here. At that time, there were not but two options for TV, satellite or an antenna. When we first got Dish, our monthly bit was just a bit over $50 a month. The last bill we paid, was a bit over $240 a month! During that time, we had always the mid-level package of programming with no extras. You would think being a customer for over 14 years would mean something. Apparently it doesn't.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.