Author Topic: ..rain rain, go away..  (Read 4737 times)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
Re: ..rain rain, go away..
« Reply #120 on: July 07, 2019, 01:56:59 PM »
never satisfied (almost never) - 1st it's "rain rain, go away" and now it's "heat heat, go away".....

was in the sun working this morning/no breeze  (covered up, heat to toe, because of susceptibility to skin cancer) - could only stand it for 2 hours - and at that I was perspiration wet from head to toe

decided to Tractor mow but could only do that for another 1 1/2 hours - water ran out and it was simply too friggin' hot to continue

thank goodness for our cement pond - 15 minutes cooling down there then a refreshing shower and done for the day
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2019, 05:27:03 PM »
My son's house sits on a hill probably 10-15% grade. Yesterday I watched my 17 year old grandson use my Husqvarna push mower to mow his front yard. Sideways and then up and down the hill running the whole time with mower in front of him. 15 minutes.
When he brought the mower back I asked him if he had a good "workout". He said "Not really. If you push it fast enough while in four wheel drive it will pull you along and all you have to do is keep pace. You should try it"
Yeah, OK, like I could really do that when the temp is 96 degrees or at any other time, temp or day of the week.
Going to uncoil the hose and water the grass tomorrow morning. With all the rain I've only had to spot water three times this year which has to be a record as usually I'm watering three or four days a week from late April.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
..rain rain, go away..
« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2019, 06:15:43 PM »
Spent the 4th weekend working on the land. Cleared up around a couple of the bazillon trees to A) open up sightline to my long range which will be 150 or so yds once I construct the backstop. You can see the pile of RR ties in pic 2.  Still got some clearing to do.
This was before I started  Friday am.

When I left at noon today (Sunday). Shredded the trimmings and started piling up the good size oak for bbq.
Yup hot as heck
Started around 7 til 1-2ish beeak til 6ish then on it til dark.
Ran alot of gas in my generator to run the AC for the princess LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2019, 12:06:59 AM »
We are showing temps in the mid to upper 90's, and no rain for at least the next seven days. Going to be hot and humid, but it will quickly dry things up around here.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 09, 2019, 06:03:34 AM »
Heat index’s of 103/104 next several days.  Highs in upper 90s as far as temps.
Possibility of showers from the TD developing in the gulf.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2019, 01:27:31 PM »
We got some decent wind from the north last night, and later a smidgen of rain. About 10 pm, we lost our power for about an hour and a half too.

It was really rather pleasant this morning. I expected it to be really humid and miserable after the little rain we got last night, but there is gentle breeze blowin so it's rather nice outside.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 11, 2019, 01:56:11 PM »
yeah, we had something move thru last evening too - had to comfort our littlest canine, Curly - "shakin' like a leaf on a fuzzy tree"

but I'm wantin' to know "what the heck is goin' on with my tree troubles" - in the last month we lost a very big, very beautiful Oak tree - then had it removed

then one of my two Pecan trees took a lightning strike - which "did it in", as evidenced by 1/2 of it falling to the ground - had that removed  :th_thicon_cry:

and now, last night (as I discovered this morning) big winds came thru and downed a couple of branches from the remaining Pecan tree (which is just now forming this year's crop of Pecans)

was cutting those branches into manageable sized pieces (to be taken to the street for City pick up) when the neighbor called across the fence that I had another problem out on the far back Pasture

drove out and a very large branch, from a very large Oak had broken - thank goodness only the smaller parts of the branch were laying on my fence (had the large part fallen on the fence, it would have taken it down....)

so, more work for the Chainsaw - but don't have to "haul" the cuttings away - will just lay 'em alongside the street's curb and the City will pick 'em up at the 1st of next month

(but I'm tired of losin' trees and branches.....isn't there a poem that goes something like :  "..but only God can screw up a tree.." ?)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2019, 02:08:48 PM »
Tango, I hear you on the tree troubles. Over the last six to eight months, I have lost quite a few of my really large oak trees. The ground is just so saturated, that any bit of decent wind is just pushing them over out of the ground. So much water that the ground is too soft and soupy to support the roots.

One of them is well over 3' in diameter at the base of the trunk. It was such a beautiful old oak tree.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2019, 06:40:26 AM »
had what sounded like "a nice shower type of rainfall" last night around 7pm - haven't checked to see if it was "measurable"

guess I'd like to thank that tropical storm east of here for sending it (without tree killing thunder storms)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2019, 12:00:08 PM »
had what sounded like "a nice shower type of rainfall" last night around 7pm - haven't checked to see if it was "measurable"

guess I'd like to thank that tropical storm east of here for sending it (without tree killing thunder storms)

Ours barely lasted ten minutes yesterday afternoon, and withing an hour, you couldn't even tell it had even rained. I was glad to not get another gully-washer. My ditches have dried up and the other areas are drying out as well. As soon as it dries up enough, I need to get the tractor back over here and do some dirt work and brush-hogging.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 15, 2019, 05:58:30 AM »
Rain not a big issue here looks like for the next few days.
HOT is the issue now.
Looks like 10-20% rain chances highs in the 97-98 range with the heat index of 105-107.

SUMMER in S TX.

Love it.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 15, 2019, 11:40:45 AM »
We got a couple of gentle showers yesterday. Suppose to be the same today. It's actually quite pleasant outside today. like it was yesterday. Sunshine, and a gentle breeze blowing.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2019, 04:54:17 PM »
Currently 94 with a heat index of 102.

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2019, 07:11:30 PM »
Got 20 minute down pour and then about another 30 minutes drizzle .
It all soaked in real good and will make weed pulling easier. :th_thicon_idea:
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2019, 08:19:36 PM »
Got 20 minute down pour and then about another 30 minutes drizzle .
It all soaked in real good and will make weed pulling easier. :th_thicon_idea:
Same here w/o the weed pulling. Was going to put the sprinklers on tomorrow morning. No need now.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 15, 2019, 10:19:42 PM »
We got a short light rain again this afternoon. With a gentle breeze, it was actually quite pleasant afterwards. I weed with a weedeater and Round-Up!
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2019, 06:25:44 AM »
I'm afeard our (relatively) cool day are over for a while  :frown: 

as a kid, my step father would make me do all the weed pulling that needed to be done - hated it then - hate it now

used to use Round Up but now use "Ranger Pro" - it's a concentrated Herbicide, comes in a 2 1/2 gallon container, much less expensive then Round Up and it's available thru  EWING IRRIGATION  (there was a Ewing in Conroe from whom I bought and there's also one in Tyler that I "go to" now) - (probably more "Ewing" stores in other cities.....) (but see the on-line buying link below = a much better cost (that I'll do from now on))

got A LOT of fence line under which I like to kill all the vegetation and Ranger does the job for me - I highly recommend

I mix extra strong - 24oz per 2 gallon sprayer and believe me, it really does the job

add :  did some internet research about Ranger Pro and found this info :

1) "Ranger Pro with 41% Glyphosate (same active ingredient as Roundup) is a complete broad spectrum non-selective post-emergent professional herbicide. Ranger Pro is the generic of Roundup Pro, and is equivalent and just as effective as the name brand, only much less expensive"

2)  https://www.ranchwholesale.com/ranger-pro-herbicide-roundup-monsanto

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 16, 2019, 08:23:50 AM »
First 100 degree day today in Plano / Dallas likely  today.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2019, 11:10:41 AM »
I'm afeard our (relatively) cool day are over for a while  :frown: 

as a kid, my step father would make me do all the weed pulling that needed to be done - hated it then - hate it now

used to use Round Up but now use "Ranger Pro" - it's a concentrated Herbicide, comes in a 2 1/2 gallon container, much less expensive then Round Up and it's available thru  EWING IRRIGATION  (there was a Ewing in Conroe from whom I bought and there's also one in Tyler that I "go to" now) - (probably more "Ewing" stores in other cities.....) (but see the on-line buying link below = a much better cost (that I'll do from now on))

got A LOT of fence line under which I like to kill all the vegetation and Ranger does the job for me - I highly recommend

I mix extra strong - 24oz per 2 gallon sprayer and believe me, it really does the job

add :  did some internet research about Ranger Pro and found this info :

1) "Ranger Pro with 41% Glyphosate (same active ingredient as Roundup) is a complete broad spectrum non-selective post-emergent professional herbicide. Ranger Pro is the generic of Roundup Pro, and is equivalent and just as effective as the name brand, only much less expensive"

2)  https://www.ranchwholesale.com/ranger-pro-herbicide-roundup-monsanto

If I were buying herbicide I would probably check Ranger out. I have actually heard of it before. But Dad has two 55 gallon drums of Round-Up he bought some years ago that I use. Every three or four months, I get about a half gallon to a gallon of it to use around the house to weed with. A little goes a long ways for me.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #139 on: July 16, 2019, 12:09:34 PM »
I had to pay almost $600 and have a new window installed yesterday - due to it leaking from a storm we had a few weeks ago. So nice to pay so much for a little rectangle  :facepalm: