Author Topic: ..oh brother - they'll be S O R R Y..  (Read 383 times)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
..oh brother - they'll be S O R R Y..
« on: May 07, 2019, 07:23:38 AM »
(call me a chauvinist if you have to, I really don't care..)

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/japan-female-airline-captain/index.html

my career in Aviation was "mostly" during the good years - starting when (I'm guessing) 98% of pilots hired by Commercial Airlines were ex-Military trained Aviators but, towards the end, the "pool" seemed to be drying up, probably due to the Military offering incentives for Aviators to remain in Service = so the Airlines started scrounging for people to hire

civilian "become an airline pilot" schools were flourishing and spitting out pilots (vs aviators) by the thousands - soon the ratio of ex-military to civilians hired "turned" and within that group were the 1st women

I was lucky enough to be senior to any of the newly hired women (thank friggin' God) and tho there might have been a good one in the mix I've gotta say that not 1 of the many that I flew with was worth the aviation fuel to blow her up - terrible pilots, scary pilots, bad decision making, not willing to learn, and attitudes of "say anything negative to me or criticize or try to teach and I'll see you before the Chief Pilot with a lawsuit in hand

side bar :  many many women, uh, pilots choose to get into fields that have nothing to do with "line flying" - training departments, union activities, asst chief pilots - hopefully it's because they realize their "limits" and have chosen to not put the traveling public in harms way

the Airlines now tout and think it's nifty to show pictures of an all-female cockpit crew - if I was to travel and saw that my flight had all-female cockpit crew I'd choose to take a different flight

but not all crap and immature people hired these days are female - new-hires reflect society in general and to me that's a scary thing - many are baggers-at-your-local-grocery-store types who've found the $s to send them thru civilian flight school

side bar 2 :  during my "time" I was also unfortunate enough to see the 1st stewardesses that were not (mostly) female come aboard   :th_thicon_cry:

ok, enough of my venting - but the above are just a couple of reason as to why I choose to drive when I travel
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: ..oh brother - they'll be S O R R Y..
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 07:59:16 AM »
There was an article several years ago about the first all female crew in a C-130.
The memorable line was “now it’s called a ‘box office’ not a ‘cockpit’ anymore”.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 08:49:37 AM »
yeah - "very" old joke

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 11:30:48 AM »
Affirmative action being played out. Companies are forced to hire to fill certain quotas, regardless of whether they are gender based, or race based. This happens simply so we can as society say we play fair. So in turn, our hiring procedures of the last say, forty years, are based n such practices, rather than hiring the most qualified person, regardless of gender or race.

Years ago, when I was in the position of hiring for the shops I worked in, I too saw much of this "affirmative action" and there were many times when upper management tried to force me to practice the procedure, in order that as a company we could always claim we were a fair and unbiased company, and practice equality. I resisted quite strongly, and to be honest, many times found ways around being forced to hire someone who wasn't qualified for the position I had open in my shop. There were also time when If I were placed into a position, where I did have to hire someone who wasn't qualified, I damn sure made sure they were segregated to jobs that didn't endanger my equipment, or my employees, or the public, and shameful as it may seem, I even went as far as to get them drummed out as quickly as possible, for their own benefit and the benefit and safety of others.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 05:55:27 PM »
I quit flying when the TSA was formed as I would never put up with there crap.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 09:44:33 PM »
I quit flying when the TSA was formed as I would never put up with there crap.

Same here. If I have to fly to get there, there is place I probably don't need to be!

Besides, I reserve all feeling up my privates to my wife! At least she gives me a kiss afterwards.  :wave1:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 11:08:28 PM »
Compared to the airport security in other countries I’ve transited through in Asia, TSA is pretty tame.
Never had a TSA person fondle my rocks for about 3 seconds feeling for an underwear bom*.  (Seriously)
The female attendant did the same thing to my wife.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 06:38:32 AM »

in one central american country (guatamala perhaps) all pax going to the aircraft for travel had to pass thru a stand-alone Metal Detector

guess we (crewmembers) were the only ones who noticed that the "portable" mechanism didn't have the electrical connection plugged into the wall socket (required for it to "work")

(musta been a dimwit-o-crat device :  all eyewash, no substance)

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 12:05:10 PM »

in one central american country (guatamala perhaps) all pax going to the aircraft for travel had to pass thru a stand-alone Metal Detector

guess we (crewmembers) were the only ones who noticed that the "portable" mechanism didn't have the electrical connection plugged into the wall socket (required for it to "work")

(musta been a dimwit-o-crat device :  all eyewash, no substance)

"Security By Theater"

Offline Ranger99

• 7 Yard Shooter
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 01:08:18 PM »
just me as a civilian non-pilot:
i heard some time back the comment about
". . planes these days are too difficult to fly. . "
being thrown about in the "news media" and i
think the president even said it.

i personally think that planes should be difficult
to fly. i don't want some yo-yo stepping up into a
machine that can result in maiming or killing so
many, and certainly results in the crew's death and
destroying so much property.
sorta kinda reminds me of these border jumpers that
hop up on a backhoe and proceed to tear up expensive
com cables and pipelines because they don't have the
proper experience or affinity for using that type of machinery.
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 02:13:45 PM »
just me as a civilian non-pilot:
i heard some time back the comment about
". . planes these days are too difficult to fly. . "
being thrown about in the "news media" and i
think the president even said it.

i personally think that planes should be difficult
to fly. i don't want some yo-yo stepping up into a
machine that can result in maiming or killing so
many, and certainly results in the crew's death and
destroying so much property.
sorta kinda reminds me of these border jumpers that
hop up on a backhoe and proceed to tear up expensive
com cables and pipelines because they don't have the
proper experience or affinity for using that type of machinery.

Ranger that is an assessment I agree with as well.

For many years, I championed the cause of anyone that was mechanic being licensed by the state in order to work on any motor vehicle used on public roads, in order to insure a certain level of safety.

In Texas, you have to have a license from the state, in order to be barber, or a hairdresser, or a plumber, or an electrician. But any six-fingered yo-yo with a pair of pliers, a screwdriver and crescent wrench can work on anyone's vehicle and get paid for it, in their backyard.

Plumbers, and electricians are licensed, bonded and many times insured, in case there are ever any faults with their work, that causes damages. Frankly, I don't understand why the same standards can't be applied to people who make a living as mechanics.

For many years, I made my living and supported my family by being a mechanic. Not bragging, but I was damn good at my job, because I worked to learn my trade, and to do it well, I took pride in doing my job in a professional manner and doing it safely, for myself as well as the person that was driving the vehicles or using the equipment I worked on. For many years, I worked in all various fields of automotive, heavy trucks and equipment and held more than a few certifications in many of those fields. But, the one thing I also did, was take my job very seriously at all times, and worked as a professional.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 02:48:31 PM »
actually (I believe) when "knowing" folks say "planes now-a-days are getting too difficult to fly" they're talking about what they perceive to be an overwhelming amount of technology/automation going into the various systems.controls within a modern aircraft - it places a huge mental burden on whomever is at the controls

Offline Ranger99

• 7 Yard Shooter
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 02:01:58 PM »

For many years, I championed the cause of anyone that was mechanic being licensed by the state in order to work on any motor vehicle used on public roads, in order to insure a certain level of safety.

In Texas, you have to have a license from the state, in order to be barber, or a hairdresser, or a plumber, or an electrician. But any six-fingered yo-yo with a pair of pliers, a screwdriver and crescent wrench can work on anyone's vehicle and get paid for it, in their backyard.

Plumbers, and electricians are licensed, bonded and many times insured, in case there are ever any faults with their work, that causes damages. Frankly, I don't understand why the same standards can't be applied to people who make a living as mechanics.

For many years, I made my living and supported my family by being a mechanic. Not bragging, but I was damn good at my job, because I worked to learn my trade, and to do it well, I took pride in doing my job in a professional manner and doing it safely, for myself as well as the person that was driving the vehicles or using the equipment I worked on. For many years, I worked in all various fields of automotive, heavy trucks and equipment and held more than a few certifications in many of those fields. But, the one thing I also did, was take my job very seriously at all times, and worked as a professional.

i've worked at new car dealers since i was a teenager and have several
boxes of various certifications, ASE, cummins, cat, mostly Ford.
these days none of them do you any good if you don't speeka.
funny how i was able to "slide by" all those years just knowing english.
affinity for the job should mean everything, but no longer does.
i've dealt with many cashiers and bank tellers that speeka,
but can't even figure change in their head. math was my worst subject
in school and even an idiot like me can figure change without using
a calculator or bill counter or having to look at the register display.
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 03:08:45 PM »

i've worked at new car dealers since i was a teenager and have several
boxes of various certifications, ASE, cummins, cat, mostly Ford.
these days none of them do you any good if you don't speeka.
funny how i was able to "slide by" all those years just knowing english.
affinity for the job should mean everything, but no longer does.
i've dealt with many cashiers and bank tellers that speeka,
but can't even figure change in their head. math was my worst subject
in school and even an idiot like me can figure change without using
a calculator or bill counter or having to look at the register display.

I learned my trade from the bottom up. And I can honestly say, every certification I had, none of them did I ever study for them. When I took the certification tests, I relied on my knowledge and experience to pass those tests. I also used to tests, as indicators of the parts I got wrong to know what things I needed to gain more knowledge of, or that I needed to practice more on to gain a better understanding.

Also much of the equipment I worked on, because of the type of equipment it was, and the regulations regarding repairs and maintenance, I had to be certified to be able to perform those repairs.

Plus in some companies those certifications led to being paid anywhere from about 10% to 20% more in wages than the other guys I worked with. Many times it also meant getting the more difficult jobs that needed repairs. 
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.