Author Topic: ..instead of a stand-along shop..  (Read 156 times)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
..instead of a stand-along shop..
« on: May 03, 2019, 09:14:37 AM »
we've been back and forth about a location for having a Shop built in which to "park" everything we've got - trucks, tractor, implements, large "tools", mowers, generator, compressor, and on & on - right now we've only the "standard" (small) 2 car garage and a couple of porch/alcoves that are covered - plus the Barn's lean-tos

trouble is.....finding a good location - one that adjacent to the house but at the same time doesn't block our views of the Barn/front Pasture/Pond and everything else at which we enjoy looking

so, after having thought about it A LOT I think I've got the perfect solution :  extending the present garage "out" to make it into a 6 car/stall garage, extending the present driveway directly to the new construction which at the same time would create a large "turn-around"/"parking pad"

this would take advantage of the already installed electrical and water - we would use "roll-up" type doors (since there's no need for attic space in the addition) and in turn that would allow for taller front entry/rear exit doors which would accommodate my Tractor

would have the "drive-thru" taller doors front and rear for the last 2 bays

so, what think you ?????

old google earth view of the house/garage

photoshopped proposal of new garage extension and extended driveway/parking pad

Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline riattta

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
  • NRA RSO
    • View Profile
Re: ..instead of a stand-along shop..
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 09:38:14 AM »
That seems to make the most sense with the only exception being what I assume your front door is blocked.  but if you have a side door you would be fine

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 11:22:44 AM »
yes, direct (sidewalk) access would be blocked but there's a gate to the left of the building that goes to the back porch and house entry - also there's presently a walk-thru door from the garage that goes into the house (left of space #1).....and there's always "just walk around the right side of the garage to go to the front door

and, as shown of my photoshop composite (of a 2 and a 4 car garage) there would be another walk-thru at the back of the add-on thru which would connect to the present sidewalk/front door

the measurements on this composite are from the internet pics of 2 and 4 car garages and wouldn't necessarily be the final measurements - besides the rear walk=thru door I've added a single roll-up door on the far end of space #6 (far right space) - also between spaces #2 & #3 I'm showing a walk-thru door (there's now a window at that wall location

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 11:26:07 AM »
Tango, I agree, that does look like the best possible choice as to where to build on at. And the choices are difficult to make since once completed, they are essentially permanent.

Within a year of building our house, I then wished it had been built about 50 to 60 feet farther forward of where it's at now. But that just ain't possible.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline ArmedTexan

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 05:58:32 PM »
That’s awesome and one helluva wide drive way, paint a large circled “H” for a helicopter landing pad!
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 10:13:13 PM »
 :rocknroll2:

There was an interesting approach we saw in parts of Asia on garages, and that's where you park in serial not parallel. 
You could extend your garage out to the left. think you should also build an airstrip.  According to the first Concorde pilot to fly into Texas, "Concrete must be cheap in Texas!".

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 07:20:10 AM »
That’s awesome and one helluva wide drive way..

this is a pic of our place down in Montgomery, Tx - that "parking pad" is in front of our 4 car garage (to give you some idea of "a lot of concrete").....and then there's the deck surrounding the pool - that and the portion under the outside covered patio are, together, almost as much sq footage as the parking pad (I won't mention the front circular driveway nor the entrance from the side street, thru the gates to the parking pad)

I used to know the measurements of the parking pad and the deck but age has wiped that memory clean

yes, I like concrete (and ya don't have to mow it)