Author Topic: Chainsaws!  (Read 3039 times)

Online Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Chainsaws!
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2019, 02:17:43 PM »
I ain't gonna lie. Chainsaws are one of those tools that does scare me a bit. Even when used in a safe manner, they are still unsafe. When I'm cutting down a tree, I study it ten way to determine what is the best way to cut it down! Accidents happen around chainsaws, and people end up getting hurt or killed using them. I hate using a chainsaw, but they are IMO a necessary evil tool that does the job I need them to do.
Every tool is dangerous.
But only as dangerous as the brain connected to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree Shield. From an early age, Dad taught us to respect tools, and to use them in a safe manner, as they were intended to be used. He also told us that when you lost respect for the tool you were using, was usually when accidents happen and people got hurt.

Even my father, as safe as he was, got cut pretty badly many years ago by a chainsaw. It kicked back, and caught him on the upper thigh. (was many years ago before they put the chain brakes on chainsaws.) Over 300 stitches to put his leg back together. Had a close friend years ago, that one kicked back on him, and he like to have lost half his foot to a chainsaw.

Yep, I have a very healthy respect for chainsaws, but still they do scare me a bit. Like Ship, I have no fear of guns, but chainsaws, they scare me! It's always in the back of my mind of people who got hurt or killed using them. And the Friday the 13th movies don't help matters any either!  :th_nuts:

Online Shield45

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2019, 02:26:01 PM »
I ain't gonna lie. Chainsaws are one of those tools that does scare me a bit. Even when used in a safe manner, they are still unsafe. When I'm cutting down a tree, I study it ten way to determine what is the best way to cut it down! Accidents happen around chainsaws, and people end up getting hurt or killed using them. I hate using a chainsaw, but they are IMO a necessary evil tool that does the job I need them to do.
Every tool is dangerous.

I agree Shield. From an early age, Dad taught us to respect tools, and to use them in a safe manner, as they were intended to be used. He also told us that when you lost respect for the tool you were using, was usually when accidents happen and people got hurt.

Even my father, as safe as he was, got cut pretty badly many years ago by a chainsaw. It kicked back, and caught him on the upper thigh. (was many years ago before they put the chain brakes on chainsaws.) Over 300 stitches to put his leg back together. Had a close friend years ago, that one kicked back on him, and he like to have lost half his foot to a chainsaw.

Yep, I have a very healthy respect for chainsaws, but still they do scare me a bit. Like Ship, I have no fear of guns, but chainsaws, they scare me! It's always in the back of my mind of people who got hurt or killed using them. And the Friday the 13th movies don't help matters any either!  :th_nuts:
I am currently have ownership on a Montgomery Wards Table-saw/planner that my Grandfather bought about 1930ish.
It has taken a piece of 3 generations so far. GP cut part of a finger off on the table saw. My father lost the tip of his pinky finger to the same. Myself donated my finger tip and finger nail to the planner several yrs ago.

All it takes is a split second lapse and they can and will bite you.

Funny thing is when I got bit by it I just sorta felt like well there ya go saw now on to the next generation.

Online Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2019, 03:48:15 PM »
Every tool is dangerous.

I am currently have ownership on a Montgomery Wards Table-saw/planner that my Grandfather bought about 1930ish.
It has taken a piece of 3 generations so far. GP cut part of a finger off on the table saw. My father lost the tip of his pinky finger to the same. Myself donated my finger tip and finger nail to the planner several yrs ago.

All it takes is a split second lapse and they can and will bite you.

Funny thing is when I got bit by it I just sorta felt like well there ya go saw now on to the next generation.

I agree Shield. Chainsaws are one of those power-tools you have to give your full attention to. Let your mind wander or drift to something else and they can hurt you, badly.

Online Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2020, 08:11:14 PM »
A few weeks ago, I finally got around to tearing down my Poulon 3816 chainsaw to find it's running issue. The cylinder is scored and the piston ring is toast. Good news is, the piston was able to be saved, and the parts to repair it will run me less than $35, for a new ring, air filter, full gasket set, spark plug and fuel lines.

Once it get it back together and running correctly, I'm going to post it on Craigslist for sale. I'll use whatever I end up getting to put towards a new 60V cordless chainsaw from Lowes.

Online Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2020, 03:08:01 PM »
A few days ago I went to visit with my father, since all this CV19 crap hit. My brother broke Dad's small gas chainsaw, so he went and bought him a brand new Stihl MS180 the other day. They are going to use it for parts for the other one just like it! Dad said he was over-run with non-running chainsaws, so he loaded me up with his old Poulon Pro 4218 to use for parts if I needed them. Got it back to the house, dug into it, and it needs the same thing as mine does, new piston rings! So now I'm just going to order two of everything for both of them, get both running, keep the best of the two, and sell the other to fund getting a battery powered chainsaw.

Online Shield45

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2020, 05:56:29 AM »
Stihl only brand of saws worth buying.
Echo
Poulon
Etc all the consumer brands are crap.
Usually cost to fix exceeds the value of doing so.
My Stihl has been problem free so far
I have tossed many a budget brand saw never will I buy another Lowes or HD sold brand.

Online Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2020, 01:13:01 PM »
Stihl only brand of saws worth buying.
Echo
Poulon
Etc all the consumer brands are crap.
Usually cost to fix exceeds the value of doing so.
My Stihl has been problem free so far
I have tossed many a budget brand saw never will I buy another Lowes or HD sold brand.

The two best brands to buy are Stihl and Huskavargna. Both are great, but expensive. I don't really need a chainsaw as much as I use to anymore. Plus, battery powered will do all I need to do with a chainsaw now. And I might go several months between using it. This is why a battery powered chainsaw will be better suited for my needs. I just can't justify the cost of a Stihl for no more that I use one these days.

Online Shield45

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2020, 04:12:29 PM »
Battery ones are way improved from yrs past and are great for residential around home stuff.

I currently have an MS211 stihl with a 16 in bar for on the land have done nothing but put gas in it in 2 yrs.

Online Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2020, 09:43:41 PM »
Battery ones are way improved from yrs past and are great for residential around home stuff.

I currently have an MS211 stihl with a 16 in bar for on the land have done nothing but put gas in it in 2 yrs.

As that is all a person should have to do! I already replaced the fuel lines in my Poulon, and I think Dad has replaced the fuel lines and the carb in the Poulon he gave me the other day.

Online Shield45

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2020, 10:56:39 PM »

As that is all a person should have to do! I already replaced the fuel lines in my Poulon, and I think Dad has replaced the fuel lines and the carb in the Poulon he gave me the other day.

I try not leave gas in it. Run tru fuel in it alot as well although it does fine on normal stuff.

Offline Txhillbilly

• Can Pack a Range Bag
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2020, 12:53:56 AM »
Stihl makes good saws,my cousin and I had 8 of them back in the 80's-90's when we were cutting/selling firewood. It's funny,but all 8 of those saws got stolen therefore I've never bought another "Steal" chainsaw.

I now have a 18" Husqvarna 455,and it's a work horse. I keep 3 spare chains sharpened when I'm running a chainsaw. No need in working with a dull chain,just swap it out with a sharp one and get back to work.
I've got a great electric chain sharpener,I can clamp it to the workbench and sharpen a chain in just a few minutes at the correct angle & pitch.

Online Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2020, 12:36:16 PM »
Ethanol gasoline was one of the worst things for small engines. Pure crap. If you have a source for non-ethanol gas, use that. If you are stuck with using ethanol gas, use a treatment. If you only use a two-stroke tool occasionally, try out some of the pre-mixed canned gas that you can get at the part stores, or WalMart carries it as well.

Keeping your chains sharp, helps in making cuts go faster, and helps with reducing wear and tear on the saw. With both saws, I have combined total of four different bars, and ten chains. Dad has an electric chain sharpener he got from Harbor Freight a few years ago that I use to sharpen mine when they need to be sharpened.

Online Shield45

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2020, 07:10:20 PM »
Ethanol gasoline was one of the worst things for small engines. Pure crap. If you have a source for non-ethanol gas, use that. If you are stuck with using ethanol gas, use a treatment. If you only use a two-stroke tool occasionally, try out some of the pre-mixed canned gas that you can get at the part stores, or WalMart carries it as well.

Keeping your chains sharp, helps in making cuts go faster, and helps with reducing wear and tear on the saw. With both saws, I have combined total of four different bars, and ten chains. Dad has an electric chain sharpener he got from Harbor Freight a few years ago that I use to sharpen mine when they need to be sharpened.
Ethanol fuel is yet another scam perpetrated by the government and cost more to produce than regular refining of crude.

It wreaks havoc on any fuel system prior to the 2000s when auto mfg started to remove aluminum and natural rubber from fuel systems. Tge alcohol corrodes alum tubes and degrades natural rubber so vintage cars do not like it same as small engines although now most are designed with the crap in mind.

Online Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2020, 08:56:10 PM »

Ethanol fuel is yet another scam perpetrated by the government and cost more to produce than regular refining of crude.

It wreaks havoc on any fuel system prior to the 2000s when auto mfg started to remove aluminum and natural rubber from fuel systems. Tge alcohol corrodes alum tubes and degrades natural rubber so vintage cars do not like it same as small engines although now most are designed with the crap in mind.

Sheild, I agree. Ethanol based gasoline is a huge scam. It was a solution to a problem that didn't exist, and government corruption at it's finest.

Offline Decoy71

• Can Pass the CHL Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2020, 12:26:31 AM »
I use the Stihl mixed fuel. Last week I finished pouring the last of it into my Stihl chainsaw. The can of fuel was close to 4 years old. I just leave it in the saw. The saw might get used once or twice a year and starts every time. Good stuff I can recommend it.

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2020, 02:18:14 AM »
Good choice

I have an electric

(Ship :  I always thought that Chainsaws and Hockey Masks go hand in hand, or hand in face, or.....?)

Yes. I agree.

Peanut butter n jelly
Ham n cheese
Salt n pepper
Glocks n azzhole fanboys
Hockey mask n chainsaws.

I ALWAYS  liked ship,,, but yeah,
Loves hockey,  hates chainsaws ?  :thinker:

He IS kinda friggin WEIRD.  :th_nuts: :th_thicon_lol:

Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Online Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2020, 02:54:20 PM »
Good choice

I have an electric

(Ship :  I always thought that Chainsaws and Hockey Masks go hand in hand, or hand in face, or.....?)

Yes. I agree.

Peanut butter n jelly
Ham n cheese
Salt n pepper
Glocks n azzhole fanboys
Hockey mask n chainsaws.

I ALWAYS  liked ship,,, but yeah,
Loves hockey,  hates chainsaws ?  :thinker:

He IS kinda friggin WEIRD.  :th_nuts: :th_thicon_lol:

A guy in a hockey mask with a chainsaw? Somebody could end getting shot!  :th_thicon_lol: