Author Topic: Strange and Weird Things!  (Read 314 times)

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Strange and Weird Things!
« on: May 01, 2019, 10:19:47 AM »
I was just sitting here thinking about a movie, "2001: Space Odyssey" and thought about something sort of weird about the movie. The movie came out in April 1968, and was a sci-fi movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001:_A_Space_Odyssey_(film)

At the time, we had not even yet landed on the moon, and in many ways still in the early stages of space flight. I remember my father taking my brother and I to see this movie at the drive-in when it came out. (for some strange reason, all of us are sci-fi enthusiasts to some degree! My father introduced me to science fiction through his reading of Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke and many others he read.)

Now the strange or weird part. At the time the movie came out, it was a science fiction movie, but today, much of it's now science fact!

So share your strange and weird thoughts or ideas!  :wave1:
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline busykngt

• Professional Target Hanger
  • Ex-Army (former cannon cocker)
    • View Profile
Re: Strange and Weird Things!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 10:27:26 AM »
George Orwell’s “1984” published in 1949.  Some writers have an uncanny ability to see the path we’re going down, pretty far in advance!
GOA Lifemember/NRA Endowment member/TSRA/CMP

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 10:44:41 AM »
George Orwell’s “1984” published in 1949.  Some writers have an uncanny ability to see the path we’re going down, pretty far in advance!

I agree. Strange how fiction can become reality.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline busykngt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 11:38:46 AM »
Walt Disney, at the 1964 World’s Fair, hosted an exposition called “Tomorrowland” and Walter Cronkite, in 1967, hosted a TV show called “The 21st Century”.  Both of these efforts attempted to show what the future held in the next 30-50 years. They focused on technological developments and how we’d be living our everyday lives.  Just like ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’, they got some things right and some things, they were a little too optimistic on.  I don’t see many flying cars around {yet}... but maybe we’re getting there!

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 03:14:29 PM »
Walt Disney, at the 1964 World’s Fair, hosted an exposition called “Tomorrowland” and Walter Cronkite, in 1967, hosted a TV show called “The 21st Century”.  Both of these efforts attempted to show what the future held in the next 30-50 years. They focused on technological developments and how we’d be living our everyday lives.  Just like ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’, they got some things right and some things, they were a little too optimistic on.  I don’t see many flying cars around {yet}... but maybe we’re getting there!

I think it's cool to look back in history, and to look at things many years ago, that were considered science fiction, and now exist. I also think it's neat to think back over the last hundred years, and just how far technology has come in that time.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 04:22:03 PM »

It's all statistical. There  Predict a wide range of technology / social / financials.  Some of those will prove true.  I remember in 2005 a guy predicted "Dow 20K" within 3 years.  And it crashed in 2008.  Oh by the way, he's now saying he saw it coming before anyone else. 

But the next steps in a lot of science is pretty obvious.

Offline busykngt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 09:52:42 PM »
I also think it's neat to think back over the last hundred years, and just how far technology has come in that time.
It’s the ET aliens helping us out. 

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 11:11:34 PM »

It's all statistical. There  Predict a wide range of technology / social / financials.  Some of those will prove true.  I remember in 2005 a guy predicted "Dow 20K" within 3 years.  And it crashed in 2008.  Oh by the way, he's now saying he saw it coming before anyone else. 

But the next steps in a lot of science is pretty obvious.

What are your thoughts on Michel de Nostradamus?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostradamus

I have seen several different shows and documentaries about him, but for myself, I'm sort of undecided as to how true his predictions were.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline busykngt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 12:02:41 AM »
One of the most interesting things I’ve seen / read, some number of years ago, was an article that included a linear graph that attempted to display the concept of mankind’s acquisition of knowledge.

This wasn’t attempting to isolate knowledge in any one particular area of human endeavor, but rather, just the sum total of “human knowledge” in general.  The timeline starts at the beginning of the epoch of man.  Currently and variously estimated at 2 - 4 million years ago and as evidenced by the use of stone tools (the highest technological achievement of the day). 

The line graph drops a marker at each instance in time where the sum total of “human knowledge” has doubled.  So the first maker appears after perhaps a million or million & half years, corresponding with early hominids’ mastery of fire (i.e., being able to create it on demand). Then we rocked along for another one to two million years leading the nomadic lifestyle.  Then another marker is dropped on the graph, this time (10K-12K years ago) corresponding with the advent of agriculture, domestication of cattle and the earliest beginnings of unrelated tribal members living together in what become the first communal villages.  And yet another marker with earliest “cities” developing and the acquired knowledge of permanent building construction (think Egyptian pyramids) and ship building, perhaps 4K-5K years ago. Another graph marker around the Renaissance period (gunpowder, printing press, telescope, bacteria discovered, etc.).  Another marker corresponding to the Victorian age, beginning of the ‘industrial age’ (the world no longer lit only by fire, medical advances, mechanical transportation).  Doubles again (for example) by the 1960s (nuclear power, space flight, electronics, further  medical advances pharmaceuticals, transplants, DNA, etc.).  Doubles again by the 1990s (microelectronics, computers, the Internet).  Doubles again by the 2010s or 2020s. 

So as one might be able to discern from the above examples, the timeline in which the doubling of the “total sum of human knowledge” continues.  And it continues to become more and more compressed along the timeline. Now doubling every few decades (rather than millions or tens of thousands of years).

Offline busykngt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 12:13:15 AM »
P.S. -  Now that I think about it, I must have read the precept of that article quite a few years back because of a discussion I had with my Dad.  My father was always a good student.  I, on the other hand, was not.  He was getting on me about my grades and I tried to use that article as an excuse, “but see Dad, according to this article.... there’s just so much more you have to know now than when you were a kid!” 

He wasn’t buying it.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 12:23:04 AM »

I have seen several different shows and documentaries about him, but for myself, I'm sort of undecided as to how true his predictions were.

TXAZ de Nostradamus provides the following (guaranteed happenings) in line with my forefather Nostradamus:

When the ball so massive shall rise there shall be millions of deaths daily.

The white rivers shall continue to flow but all the fish shall die to never again swim.

After the next moon so full, war shall follow in one fortnight. 

A new king shall rise to the detriment of others.

Any takers?

Yea that’s about the level Nostradamus wrote to. Here’s what they mean in order:

The first one he will happen tomorrow morning.  Millions of bacteria will die when the sun hits them.

Some guy just the big V.

Hey there are more than a dozen wars going on right now.  And they’ll probably still be going on in 2 weeks.

Some a**hole CEO is screwing his employees out of pay or benefits.

As such I have little faith in his overly general “predictions”.  Anything that general will happen in the next week or century.

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 03:18:09 PM »

TXAZ de Nostradamus provides the following (guaranteed happenings) in line with my forefather Nostradamus:

When the ball so massive shall rise there shall be millions of deaths daily.

The white rivers shall continue to flow but all the fish shall die to never again swim.

After the next moon so full, war shall follow in one fortnight. 

A new king shall rise to the detriment of others.

Any takers?

Yea that’s about the level Nostradamus wrote to. Here’s what they mean in order:

The first one he will happen tomorrow morning.  Millions of bacteria will die when the sun hits them.

Some guy just the big V.

Hey there are more than a dozen wars going on right now.  And they’ll probably still be going on in 2 weeks.

Some a**hole CEO is screwing his employees out of pay or benefits.

As such I have little faith in his overly general “predictions”.  Anything that general will happen in the next week or century.

That is more of how I sort of think as well. Kind of the, "even a blind hog can find an acorn every once in a while" sort of mentality.

Just like many of those doom sayers, always making predictions of the end of the world, and turning out to be wrong!  :th_nuts:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.