Author Topic: Snake on the Roof!  (Read 701 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Snake on the Roof!
« on: April 26, 2019, 01:15:05 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/an-18-foot-long-snake-escaped-captivity-and-climbed-onto-a-roof-scaring-neighbors/ar-BBW6vEJ?ocid=spartanntp

"I can understand people's worry of seeing a big snake on top of a garage but she's not going to do anything to a person. She's been raised around people since she was a baby," he told Fox 2. "She's 8-years-old, she's never harmed anyone."

Famous last words when it comes to an 18 foot python!
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Snake on the Roof!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 02:17:07 PM »
Ever since I read this a couple years ago I have had strong negative feelings about people keeping large snakes in their home.https://www.cnn.com/2013/08/06/world/americas/canada-snake-deaths/index.html

Pythons are ambush predators and climb to get a height advantage then they drop on their prey. That snake could easily kill and eat a medium size person. A kid wouldn't stand a chance.
If that was my roof I'd have popped it in the head with a .22 Mag. A new pair of boots and a belt is all profit.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 02:34:58 PM »
Ever since I read this a couple years ago I have had strong negative feelings about people keeping large snakes in their home.https://www.cnn.com/2013/08/06/world/americas/canada-snake-deaths/index.html

Pythons are ambush predators and climb to get a height advantage then they drop on their prey. That snake could easily kill and eat a medium size person. A kid wouldn't stand a chance.
If that was my roof I'd have popped it in the head with a .22 Mag. A new pair of boots and a belt is all profit.

I agree on not keeping 'autonomous lethal threats' in homes / residential areas, or other non-contained areas. As to using a .22 Mag, I'd prefer something much larger (caliber and quantity).  I caught a water moccasin on a fishing line years ago.  Held it a bit out of the water put the muzzle against the head and shot it thru the head a dozen times before it succumbed to the BB's. 

A 9mm seems better but 17 rounds seems excellent. :th_thicon_idea:

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 03:23:07 PM »
If I ran across an 18 foot python, I'm using 12 gauge slugs!  :wave1:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 03:35:48 PM »

When such snakes reach the size of that one, they essentially become a deadly weapon. Snake kept as pets, have killed babies, their owners, and even the other family pets.

People keeping them as pets is why there is python problem in the Florida Everglades.

IMO, they should be illegal to have as pets.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 05:04:27 PM »
If I ran across an 18 foot python, I'm using 12 gauge slugs!  :wave1:

Boomer.  At 100 yards+. 

With Raufoss Mk 211 rounds.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 05:32:17 PM »
When I was a kid we had a rock quarry by house that was full of snakes. Old man that ran the Texaco station in town had a taxidermy business on the side and made belts and hat bands out of snakeskin. Paid 50 cents a foot. Skin wasn't worth anything with if it had holes in it. Learned the Carlos Hathcock one shot one kill head shot method. Could make $3-$4 on a good day which was big money when I was 12. Plus I've seen choot em 'Lizabeth dispatch plenty a big gator with a .22 LR on Swap People.

I have a CMR .22 Mag carbine with a decent optic. Within 30 feet I'm pretty sure I could get a lethal head shot w/o putting a hole in my roof. Either that or as Ripley says in the movie Aliens "nuke it from orbit it's the only way to be sure."

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 06:41:24 PM »
Alte, I'll patch the hole in my roof. I'm going nuclear!  :wave1:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 07:16:34 PM »
18 feet? Screw that. You know it's time to leave when you see Ice Cube and Jennifer Lopez running by trying to kill a snake that size.

A new pair of boots and a belt is all profit.

With that kind of sna-creage (ba dum tshh), you would have like 5 belts, 3 pairs of boots, AND still have skin left over to get like a freaking 3-piece suit made out of snake skin!

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 08:12:02 PM »
Snakes dont bother me.
Never have.
I respect them however and Im aware of their presence when out n about. However I have found usually they want as little to do with man as man does them. If they are not a menace or nuisance to me I leave them to their way.

Scorpions on the other hand they get no mercy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AKM-47

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 10:32:26 PM »
Around 10 years ago a next door neighbor (who has moved sense then) had a boa constrictor as a pet

He asked me if it bothered me … I said no … I have a Mossburg 12G shotgun, so no problem here

I never saw that snake the 4 years he was there

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 10:47:41 PM »
Gilgondorin: I got big feet and a large waist..... :th_thicon_funny:
Shield 45: Did I tell you about the time when I was 16 and threw on a pair of cut off jeans out of the clothes hamper to  go swimmin' with the Dewald sisters. A big black southwest Texas scorpion nailed me on the right nad and tender membrane by the bung hole.Testicles ballooned up to baseball size but the pain to my rectum was legendary. To this day I shake out all clothes and shoes before hand.
Like you though I'm i'm live and let live with snakes. I live by a creek and about 100 aces of Texas forest and use to be a kill on sight person. Over the years I have found that most snakes don't want anything to do with humans although I've dispatched a couple of copperheads that wouldn't take the hint.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 11:01:56 PM »
Alte
That hurts read.
I tend to ck shoes clothes that have been unused for a spell. 

In the metro now they are not as common as in the sticks. I always look when I move items on the land that have been undisturbed.

In general when your making alot of racket many critters depart the area in advance however there is always that one stubborn sob around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 11:03:44 PM »
Shield 45: Did I tell you about the time when I was 16 and threw on a pair of cut off jeans out of the clothes hamper to  go swimmin' with the Dewald sisters. A big black southwest Texas scorpion nailed me on the right nad and tender membrane by the bung hole.Testicles ballooned up to baseball size but the pain to my rectum was legendary. To this day I shake out all clothes and shoes before hand.
Like you though I'm i'm live and let live with snakes. I live by a creek and about 100 aces of Texas forest and use to be a kill on sight person. Over the years I have found that most snakes don't want anything to do with humans although I've dispatched a couple of copperheads that wouldn't take the hint.

Oh Jesus Alte!!!!!!!!!

That is way way way way WAY too much information.   
No more Dewald sister stories that involve baseball sizes balls or rectums PLEASE.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 12:15:42 AM »

Oh Jesus Alte!!!!!!!!!

No more Dewald sister stories that involve baseball sizes balls or rectums PLEASE.

Consider it a public service announcement
You must forgive. Brother in Law's birthday today and I'm about half way into a good bottle of bourbon.
I have two or three other Dewald sisters stories but they are rated NSFW. One has to do with the younger sister and her VW square back with Led Zeppelin's second album in the 8 track and two bottles of Boone Farms Strawberry Hill.  :th_thicon_idea:
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2019, 08:44:03 AM »
The Axxe Policy on snakes around here. If they are non-venomous, they are left alone. If they are venomous, they are dispatched. Just about every one of my dogs has been bit by one, and a few have been bit several times. Plus with having cows and calves, they get dispatched quickly. A cow or calf bit on the nose or face, can die from a snake-bite.

Last year, I killed over twenty cottonmouths, and over ten copperheads from early spring to late summer. That is the most I have ever killed in the fifteen years we have lived here, by at least ten times.

Scorpions! the first year we moved into the house, scorpions were really bad. And I have gotten stung more than once by them. Nothing as exciting as Alte's Dewald Sisters story mind you! But stepping in the shower and getting stung on the foot will sure get your attention though. As a matter of fact, I think every time I have been stung was on the foot in the shower!

I spray an insecticide around the house about every four months. It is suppose to be every six months to be used, but I figure every four is better! I started doing that about nine or ten years ago, and the scorpion and ant problem decreased massively. I don't even remember what brand it is, but I got it at Lowe's. I put it into my pump-up garden sprayer and spray it all along the foundation. Takes about ten minutes to apply it and it seems to work really good so far.

Gophers! Now me and them are going to go round and round though!
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2019, 08:53:39 AM »

Oh Jesus Alte!!!!!!!!!

You must forgive. Brother in Law's birthday today and I'm about half way into a good bottle of bourbon.
I have two or three other Dewald sisters stories but they are rated NSFW. One has to do with the younger sister and her VW square back with Led Zeppelin's second album in the 8 track and two bottles of Boone Farms Strawberry Hill.  :th_thicon_idea:
I wanna hear that Led Zeppelin story as long as it doesn’t involve baseball sized balls.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2019, 08:56:55 AM »

Oh Jesus Alte!!!!!!!!!

I wanna hear that Led Zeppelin story as long as it doesn’t involve baseball sized balls.

You sure are curious this morning TXAZ!  :wave1:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2019, 09:29:44 AM »
Hey I got my first welding class in 1/2 hour, need something to share at the breaks!

Offline DCD327

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2019, 10:40:30 AM »
Yup. I wouldnt care if that snake had a collar with jingle bells and Flowers on it.  It would be a DEAD snake.

You can take the snake out of the jungle, but you cant take the. jungle out of the snake.

Whoever the IDIOT was that ever allowed exotic animals anything, predator or not, be admitted into the USA, should be taken out and shot.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".