Author Topic: ..will I get lucky, or not ?..  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
..will I get lucky, or not ?..
« on: April 23, 2019, 11:55:19 AM »
used my Tractor to carry to the street for garbage pickup five 55gal trash bags full of "old Hay" and 1 trash barrel of household trash (also in a 55gal trash bag)

after feeding the Boys (our 2 Horses) I came in and changed to my "ranchin' duds" so as to get a day's worth of Pasture mowing done before the forecast rains get here

went to start the Tractor.....and it wouldn't    :help:   I'm hoping that it's a battery problem - I've disconnected it and have it attached to my charger (tho.....there's a sight gauge that's showing GREEN, so.....)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the problem is, in fact, the battery

(and another thing..  the connections (nuts and bolts) to the battery terminals are metric, that's "ok" but one of 'em requires a #10 wrench while the other requires a #13 - wuzzup wid dat ?)
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Re: ..will I get lucky, or not ?..
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 12:18:20 PM »
How old is the battery Tango? If it's more than a few years old, it could be bad and time to replace.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 01:00:14 PM »
brand spankin' new - it and the Tractor are less than a year old.....

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 01:31:19 PM »
brand spankin' new - it and the Tractor are less than a year old.....

The tractor is new, but that battery could be a couple of years old, having sat on shelf before it was installed on the tractor when it was being built. Check the date code on the battery to see how old the battery is. I have ran across this many, many times on various equipment over the years of fairly brand new equipment having battery issues, only to find out the battery was older than the equipment.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."

Online Ranger99

• Owns a Gunbelt
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 02:24:29 PM »
probably needs cables.
i had to replace mine when i figured out the
 green corrosion had got all thee way up the
cable and no current could make it through
to the starter.
cheap insurance anyway
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 02:28:07 PM »
can't tell how old the battery itself is - the numbers for the year and for the month are intact (they shudda been marked or scratched, but weren't

I'll wait until the charger does it's thing and if that doesn't "do it" I'll go back to Kubota with a battery complaint

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 04:59:24 PM »
can't tell how old the battery itself is - the numbers for the year and for the month are intact (they shudda been marked or scratched, but weren't

I'll wait until the charger does it's thing and if that doesn't "do it" I'll go back to Kubota with a battery complaint

Look on the side of the battery for a little round sticker with the manufacturing date code, should be something like, D6, or C7, or A8 or very similar. That is the actual date code of when the batter was manufactured.

Even if the battery is "bad", and it was an older one by a couple of years from sitting on a shelf before being installed on the tractor, it's warranty should begin when you bought the tractor.

If the battery is defective, I don't see any reason they wouldn't replace it for you.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 05:20:43 PM »
Did ya try jump starting it with your pickup? If it cranks it a battery issue. If not likely something else.

Either way qt under a yr Id be calling the dealer to come ck it.

Likely it is a battery issue but it (battery) should be warrantied still at <1 yr since purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 07:32:28 AM »
even with our 1st (since moving here) power outage last night the battery on the charger is showing 80%+ charged so I'm gonna install it this morning (before the rains get here, I hope)

will soon tell if it is a battery problem

and no, I didn't try a jump start (after 65 years of driving one would think I'd own jumper cables but I don't.....perhaps it's time)

1 ciup of coffee later - aw shucks, it's raining.....will watch for a break else brave the "wet" and install the battery

later later :  installed the battery and it started right away - but I shut down and a bit later attempted another start - it wouldn't

now it's starting again - but I'm gonna put in a call to the shop at which I bought and ask about doing a warrantee procedure - something's not right and I want to get in under the 1 year date with this perceived problem

sure as heck don't wanna get stuck out on the back 40 (actually back 20) and have to hoof it back - will keep the Tractor close by until "someone" trouble shoots it

later later later - tired of messin' with it - called my (somewhat) local Kubota dealership (Tyler) and made arrangements for them to pick up/fix/deliver whatever problem there is - "the guy" seemed to think it's one of the safety switches, most likely the one associated with the PTO

hate to "lose" the time that it'll take to have "fixed" but it's gotta be done - the pick up will be manana or the next day
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 09:51:34 AM by Tango »

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 11:30:44 AM »
even with our 1st (since moving here) power outage last night the battery on the charger is showing 80%+ charged so I'm gonna install it this morning (before the rains get here, I hope)

will soon tell if it is a battery problem

and no, I didn't try a jump start (after 65 years of driving one would think I'd own jumper cables but I don't.....perhaps it's time)

1 ciup of coffee later - aw shucks, it's raining.....will watch for a break else brave the "wet" and install the battery

later later :  installed the battery and it started right away - but I shut down and a bit later attempted another start - it wouldn't

now it's starting again - but I'm gonna put in a call to the shop at which I bought and ask about doing a warrantee procedure - something's not right and I want to get in under the 1 year date with this perceived problem

sure as heck don't wanna get stuck out on the back 40 (actually back 20) and have to hoof it back - will keep the Tractor close by until "someone" trouble shoots it

later later later - tired of messin' with it - called my (somewhat) local Kubota dealership (Tyler) and made arrangements for them to pick up/fix/deliver whatever problem there is - "the guy" seemed to think it's one of the safety switches, most likely the one associated with the PTO

hate to "lose" the time that it'll take to have "fixed" but it's gotta be done - the pick up will be manana or the next day

Good luck with the repairs.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 03:14:26 PM »
the Kubota dealership in Tyler sent their guy out today and we loaded the Tractor onto his trailer - dang, it's a really nice day for mowing (with the Tractor) and I'm stuck with a weedeater all day and spraying weed killer along the fenceline (not the Boy's pasture fenceline !)

Tractor has been starting each time I've tried so I hope they can find what it was that was causing my earlier problem

having the dealership perform a big service on the Tractor while they've got it in their shop - saves me from doing it.....

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 12:59:59 PM »
Kubota dealership called today (thursday) - they found a loose starter connection (all work, including pick up and delivery, paid for by Warranty) - Tractor will be delivered manana - maybe Pastures will dry enough that I can continue mowing this weekend   :th_thicon_idea:

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 02:27:32 PM »
Cool beans Tango!  :rocknroll2:

Glad they found the problems with the tractor and got them fixed for you. Good luck with mowing. We got a butt-load or rain early this morning here in East Texas.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 05:23:56 PM »
where are you in E Tejas ?  I'm in Mineola and we got only 1 3/8" thru the night, then a heavy mist before noon - cleared but the WIs (weather idiots) are talkin' another "line" comin' this way

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 05:30:17 PM »
where are you in E Tejas ?  I'm in Mineola and we got only 1 3/8" thru the night, then a heavy mist before noon - cleared but the WIs (weather idiots) are talkin' another "line" comin' this way

I'm just right outside of Elkhart, and south of Palestine Tango. Just guessing on the rainfall, at least 2 inches, of not more.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
..will I get lucky, or not ?..
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2019, 09:55:11 PM »
My land is east of Seguin about 30 mi and we just had a TTF pass over came down like a cow releaving hisself on a flat rock for about 30-45 min. Nice light show as well.
Id guess 1/2 or lil better

And from what I can tell its been getting a good soaking last few days.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2019, 10:04:24 PM »
My land is east of Seguin about 30 mi and we just had a TTF pass over came down like a cow releaving hisself on a flat rock for about 30-45 min. Nice light show as well.

I bought my old tractor in Seguin, some years ago. A 1942 Ford 9N.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2019, 07:06:43 AM »

I bought my old tractor in Seguin, some years ago. A 1942 Ford 9N.
I bought my new one at Dietz in Seguin.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2019, 07:49:11 AM »
didn't have a lot of rain yesterday (Friday) - until the minute the Kubota guy got here with my Tractor - I've had him park along the street at the front of the property because he uses a long trailer (perhaps 25-30') and coming up my driveway and then turning it around would be impossible

the Wife drove me from the house to his location and we unsecured the Tractor (while getting soaked) - sat in the cab of his truck and wrote a check for having the Tractor service

he left, I drove the Tractor back to the house - and got looking at the invoice - they charged me $75 for p/u and delivery when it was 'sposed to covered under the warranty

called 'em and they said 1) come into Tyler and we'll issue a refund.....or.....2) we'll send a check via snailmail - I opted for "mail"

the rain - I empty my rain gauge between storms and this latest one dumped 1 3/4" (fri nite) - need to drain A LOT of water from the Pool this morning.....

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2019, 08:53:20 AM »
We got some rain last night, but not a lot. Like we really needed any more!  :frown:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.