Author Topic: Fishing!  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Fishing!
« on: April 22, 2019, 04:00:41 PM »
Fishing! The wife and I both love to go fishing. She will even bait her own hook as well! She caught quite a mess of catfish last year, that I cleaned and put up in the freezer.

But, I do love to go fishing. Who else loves it as much as we do?

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 05:19:55 PM »
we had a nice home on Lake Conroe a few homes ago - a 2 story, 3 level - middle level had access to a deck that extended out over the water with my boat lift below

had 2 different boats while there - a Deck Boat that I had rigged for fishing the a Speed/Pleasure, very fast boat (no fishing off that one)

good friend across the Cove and I would take turns - his boat, my boat - was really into Bass Fishing for a few yeart (NOT a big fan of Catfish and don't eat 'em (if I know it's catfish)) - Bass fishing was catch and release for us

like my golf game - haven't been fishing in years - gave away my golf clubs, gave away all my fishing gear
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 05:26:25 PM »
Tango, unless I plan on cleaning and eating the fish, I pretty much prefer catch and release as well. I just enjoy the time spent fishing, and I don't even have to catch any fish to have a good time.

Online TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 05:45:39 PM »
Tango, unless I plan on cleaning and eating the fish, I pretty much prefer catch and release as well. I just enjoy the time spent fishing, and I don't even have to catch any fish to have a good time.

Ditto!  And the sun perch are just as fun to me as a 100 lb sailfish.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 06:00:44 PM »
when a teenager my future FIL had a good sized inboard (Kalifornia) - we spent A LOT of time on the water - used to go over to Catalina Island and spend a night or two on the boat

would fish and would dive for Abalone when at the Island (a favorite food of mine) - would grind the Abalone thru a meat grinder and make Burgers outta it

took navigation and boat safety classes and became quite proficient and handling a boat - good times !

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 06:50:44 PM »
Although I personally don't like seafood and definitely don't eat fish, dad loves it so anything I catch worth keeping usually winds up being cleaned by me and fried and eaten by dad instead.

My personal best is a 24" Largemouth Bass caught on my 2nd ever fishing trip about 8-9 years ago. I wish I knew then what I know now -- I would have done a more thorough logging and submission of the catch info to the TPWC record-keeping department, because I looked it up later on and found out she would have easily dwarfed the standing record-holding fish caught in that creek of 17"-18", IIRC. In fact, she might have possibly even qualified for submission into the Toyota Share-Lunker program; actually pulling her up out of the water felt like hauling out a cinder block.

I love freshwater fishing, but I just don't get to do it very often; I definitely like salt water fishing more, though I get to do that even less -- maybe once a year if I'm lucky.

Offline Ceejmo

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • ἀνδρίζομαι
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 05:47:23 AM »
I fish every chance I get. Unfortunately the job thing and chores around the home interfere with fishing as much as I'd like. I fish for Bass, Crappie, Perch and Cats. I've just recently started doing a little salt water fishing. I'm not impressed with the amount of work that is involved in cleaning the salt off of everything afterwards though. Sometimes I just go to the lake and run jugs all night. I clean, cook and eat everything that is legal to keep.
It's hard to free people from the chains of stupidity when they wear them like jewelry.
Freedom or free stuff, you only get one.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 07:55:55 AM »
just saw a segment on tv about an 1100lb Swordfish that was caught off florida - sort makes me sad that such a noble creature was caught and killed

yeah yeah, I know.....but it still makes me sad   :th_thicon_cry:

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 01:37:38 PM »
When we were much younger and lived in the Houston area, our father took us to Galveston quite a bit during the summer to go fishing off the jetties. We loved going fishing in Galveston. That is about the extent of my salt-water fishing experiences.

Offline Ranger99

• Can Pass the CHL Test
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 02:20:29 PM »
i still love it, but haven't been lately.

i also got spoiled fishing in south louisiana in the
salt marsh. it's the only place i've ever had to sit
down and declare i was really tired of catching fish.
(trout at the time)
when you fish in salt, you never know if what just
got on your line is 1 pound or 100 pounds or more.
it might just strip off all your line and burn up your
drag. you might also learn the hard way to never
set your rod down while you have a line out.
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 03:51:50 PM »
i still love it, but haven't been lately.

i also got spoiled fishing in south louisiana in the
salt marsh. it's the only place i've ever had to sit
down and declare i was really tired of catching fish.
(trout at the time)
when you fish in salt, you never know if what just
got on your line is 1 pound or 100 pounds or more.
it might just strip off all your line and burn up your
drag. you might also learn the hard way to never
set your rod down while you have a line out.

I am so ready for summer and hoping we can get the chance to go fishing for more catfish. Yhe wife caught a huge mess of them last summer. I cleaned them, and filleted them and put them in the freezer. I cooked some last night for dinner, and they were so good!  :wave1:

Offline cbp210

• Law Enforcement Officer
  • Hits the Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 09:37:39 AM »
We love fishing too and my daughter is constantly competes in the CCA tournament every year.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 09:15:52 AM »
We love fishing too and my daughter is constantly competes in the CCA tournament every year.

210, If given a choice, I'd much rather fish than hunt. But had you given me that choice to make twenty five years ago, I would have been hard pressed to make a choice! At that time, I enjoyed both and participated doing both every year. But time constraints with job and family took their toll on my getting time to go hunting, and all the preparations for going hunting. Fishing survived for me, since I could always wrangle some free time somewhere to steal off to the lake to fish.

Online TXAZ

• Uses Solvent For Toothpaste
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 02:36:39 PM »
I find fishing very relaxing, but not so for hunting any more.  Some of that is concern for / of other hunters that may not be a careful in target selection or pointing of weapons.  The rest is I'm not into getting up a 4AM then going to hide out in a blind or stand freezing my ascii off waiting for a buck to pass by.

Am I the only one like that?

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 03:14:24 PM »
I haven't "hunted" anything since I was a teen and that was for Jack Rabbits out in the Kalif desert - now,when driving and I pass one of those "exotic animal" kill places my heart just sinks

same for tv - sometimes I make a mistake of seeing but (quickly) scan thru a hunting program

yeah, I know, chickens, pigs, cattle get slaughtered for human consumption.....but

and fishing - as a teen we caught and ate fish from the sea and an occasional fresh water trout - later in life fishing was catch and release (and I'll never knowingly eat one of those bottom feeding, scum sucking catfish.....just me - sorry)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 04:19:15 PM »
I find fishing very relaxing, but not so for hunting any more.  Some of that is concern for / of other hunters that may not be a careful in target selection or pointing of weapons.  The rest is I'm not into getting up a 4AM then going to hide out in a blind or stand freezing my ascii off waiting for a buck to pass by.

Am I the only one like that?

No sir you aren't. Years ago, it wasn't about killing some animal for us. When I got older it was about the hunting TRIP! If I shot something, that was just icing on the cake for me. And our father brought us up to respect the animals we hunted and killed, and that if you shot it, you danged better clean it and eat it. There were many times I left a hunting trip and never fired my gun, and left with nothing but some fond memories spent with friends or family.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 04:25:10 PM »
I haven't "hunted" anything since I was a teen and that was for Jack Rabbits out in the Kalif desert - now,when driving and I pass one of those "exotic animal" kill places my heart just sinks

same for tv - sometimes I make a mistake of seeing but (quickly) scan thru a hunting program

yeah, I know, chickens, pigs, cattle get slaughtered for human consumption.....but

and fishing - as a teen we caught and ate fish from the sea and an occasional fresh water trout - later in life fishing was catch and release (and I'll never knowingly eat one of those bottom feeding, scum sucking catfish.....just me - sorry)

I personally won't indulge in watching any hunting program on TV. IMO, the vast majority are nothing more than "canned" hunts. Any idiot can shoot a penned in animal and call themselves a hunter. But not in my estimations does that make that person a hunter by any stretch of the imagination. And the idiots that watch those programs, most are idiots themselves.

I'm more of catch and release type person myself Tango. Now my wife, she is much better fisherperson than me though! And she usually catches big enough fish that we can clean and eat!

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 04:26:51 PM »
Sorry, but I am not a fishing fan...

Too many times in South Louisiana as a kid. Dying from the heat and mosquitoes. Getting up at 4am to get out in the boat before the sun came out. And then sitting in the heat for hours, because that is what my father wanted to do...

The only part I liked was the boat ride. That was all I wanted to do.

So, no fishing for me...

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 04:30:24 PM »
Sorry, but I am not a fishing fan...

Too many times in South Louisiana as a kid. Dying from the heat and mosquitoes. Getting up at 4am to get out in the boat before the sun came out. And then sitting in the heat for hours, because that is what my father wanted to do...

The only part I liked was the boat ride. That was all I wanted to do.

So, no fishing for me...

Ship, fishing isn't for everyone. Some people like yourself just don't enjoy it. Nothing wrong with that. My brother use to go hunting and fishing when we were still living at home. I doubt he has picked up a fishing rod, or taken a gun to the woods to hunt since he left home.

Offline Ranger99

• Can Pass the CHL Test
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2019, 01:32:51 PM »
just from what i've seen the last decade or so, i believe that
it'll be pretty much high fence hunting if you want to go at all
and not spend 10 or 12 thousand dollars to take a whitetail
deer in this state. that is unless you want to start driving the
roads like a lot do and pop whatever jumps out first, or just
trespass like a whole lot of others do.
fishing's not as bad yet, but i don't imagine it'll be far behind.
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible