Author Topic: Generally Useless Tidbits Of Information!  (Read 1619 times)

Online Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Generally Useless Tidbits Of Information!
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2019, 04:50:02 PM »
our place in Conroe was a few miles north of the airport - I used to say we lived "east of Willis, north of Cut n Shoot"
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2019, 06:35:47 PM »
Well, I'm a very proud uncle today! Found out my oldest niece, who is graduating high school next month, is at the top her class and graduating valedictorian! She is also getting a boatload of scholarships to Texas A&M. So far she is planning on majoring in biology, and sort of plans on being a veterinarian.

Her younger sister has another two years of high school, but ain't lagging far behind her sister in the smarts department.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2019, 06:45:05 PM »
Congrats Axxe!

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2019, 08:41:47 PM »
Congrats Axxe!

Thanks TXAZ.  :th_thicon_idea:

Both of my nieces work their tails off in school, get good grades and participate in many scholastic events from the school. I'd like to say they get their smarts from me, but alas, I can't take the credit!

The entire family is very proud of both of them. The both work very hard for their good grades. The also work down here on the farm on the weekends, clearing brush, building fence and other farm work around here. Both of them are gaining some good work ethics to go with the smarts!

I am very proud of them and just wanted to share!  :wave1:

Alexis, on the left who is graduating this year, and Ashley, on the right who graduates in two years.

Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online Shield45

• Can Pass the CHL Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2019, 10:21:31 PM »
Congrats Axxe!

Thanks TXAZ.  :th_thicon_idea:

Both of my nieces work their tails off in school, get good grades and participate in many scholastic events from the school. I'd like to say they get their smarts from me, but alas, I can't take the credit!

The entire family is very proud of both of them. The both work very hard for their good grades. The also work down here on the farm on the weekends, clearing brush, building fence and other farm work around here. Both of them are gaining some good work ethics to go with the smarts!

I am very proud of them and just wanted to share!  :wave1:

Alexis, on the left who is graduating this year, and Ashley, on the right who graduates in two years.

Congrats on graduation and scholarships. Good to see they have brains and are not afraid to pitch in with work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2019, 07:15:52 AM »
Very nice. Congrats!!!

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2019, 09:38:40 AM »
MY son and his wife are both Ag's and my granddaughter is finishing up her second year.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2019, 09:00:34 PM »
Well it was very good day, and fun actually. Earlier this morning, my brother and I worked on the A/C system of the tractor and finally got it working. Still have some minor details to iron out with the A/C system. Got some of the trim panels installed on the exterior that cover up parts of the A/C system.

My brother's wife brought us pizza for lunch. Then after lunch. we got to the task of tagging and castrating the calves. Or more accurately, we attempted to tag and castrate the calves! Dad sat back videoing the proceedings, and offering up advice while laughing at us the entire time! On a side note to that, Your's Truly, is the only one that caught one of the calves that got tagged, but, since it was the heifer, it didn't get castrated!

Next weekend, we are going to separate the cows, and confine the momma cows and the calves to the corral then cut the cows from the calves and work within a smaller area to finish the tagging and castrating.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2019, 09:40:15 PM »
So Axxe, what do you think about the new tractors that don't let the owner work on them, but only a factory certified technician?

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2019, 10:21:08 PM »
So Axxe, what do you think about the new tractors that don't let the owner work on them, but only a factory certified technician?

TXAZ, personally, I don't care for it, but I understand why it's become that way. For years, agriculture equipment lagged far behind in meeting EPA emission standards. And to be able to meet those newer and emerging emissions standards, engines on agriculture had to evolve and become more technologically advanced and complicated in order to meet the newer emission standards being instituted. So in turn, it pretty much takes it out of the hands of the DIYer to be able work on and maintain their own equipment.

Historically, and traditionally, farmers relied upon themselves to repair and maintain their equipment. It was more of matter of economics and just more practical. It took too much time to get a tech to the farm or field when equipment broke down, or to load it up and take into town to the dealer for those repairs. The farmer took care of his own repairs to get the equipment back up and running to get the work done that needed doing.

I cut my teeth on being a mechanic learning how to repair and maintain our farm equipment. It led to my professional career that supported myself and my family, along with two ex-wives!
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2019, 09:25:06 AM »

TXAZ, personally, I don't care for it, but I understand why it's become that way. For years, agriculture equipment lagged far behind in meeting EPA emission standards. And to be able to meet those newer and emerging emissions standards, engines on agriculture had to evolve and become more technologically advanced and complicated in order to meet the newer emission standards being instituted. So in turn, it pretty much takes it out of the hands of the DIYer to be able work on and maintain their own equipment.

Historically, and traditionally, farmers relied upon themselves to repair and maintain their equipment. It was more of matter of economics and just more practical. It took too much time to get a tech to the farm or field when equipment broke down, or to load it up and take into town to the dealer for those repairs. The farmer took care of his own repairs to get the equipment back up and running to get the work done that needed doing.

I cut my teeth on being a mechanic learning how to repair and maintain our farm equipment. It led to my professional career that supported myself and my family, along with two ex-wives!

Somehow I feel like TXAZ is asking a different question than you initially thought he was.

Even if he's not, I'd like to go ahead and ask it. What do you make of this trend, which is beginning to take off in the agriculture industry?

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/xykkkd/why-american-farmers-are-hacking-their-tractors-with-ukrainian-firmware

[ . . . . ]

A license agreement John Deere required farmers to sign in October forbids nearly all repair and modification to farming equipment, and prevents farmers from suing for "crop loss, lost profits, loss of goodwill, loss of use of equipment … arising from the performance or non-performance of any aspect of the software." The agreement applies to anyone who turns the key or otherwise uses a John Deere tractor with embedded software. It means that only John Deere dealerships and "authorized" repair shops can work on newer tractors.

"If a farmer bought the tractor, he should be able to do whatever he wants with it," Kevin Kenney, a farmer and right-to-repair advocate in Nebraska, told me. "You want to replace a transmission and you take it to an independent mechanic—he can put in the new transmission but the tractor can't drive out of the shop. Deere charges $230, plus $130 an hour for a technician to drive out and plug a connector into their USB port to authorize the part."

[ . . . . ]

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2019, 01:23:26 PM »

Somehow I feel like TXAZ is asking a different question than you initially thought he was.

Even if he's not, I'd like to go ahead and ask it. What do you make of this trend, which is beginning to take off in the agriculture industry?

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/xykkkd/why-american-farmers-are-hacking-their-tractors-with-ukrainian-firmware

[ . . . . ]

A license agreement John Deere required farmers to sign in October forbids nearly all repair and modification to farming equipment, and prevents farmers from suing for "crop loss, lost profits, loss of goodwill, loss of use of equipment … arising from the performance or non-performance of any aspect of the software." The agreement applies to anyone who turns the key or otherwise uses a John Deere tractor with embedded software. It means that only John Deere dealerships and "authorized" repair shops can work on newer tractors.

"If a farmer bought the tractor, he should be able to do whatever he wants with it," Kevin Kenney, a farmer and right-to-repair advocate in Nebraska, told me. "You want to replace a transmission and you take it to an independent mechanic—he can put in the new transmission but the tractor can't drive out of the shop. Deere charges $230, plus $130 an hour for a technician to drive out and plug a connector into their USB port to authorize the part."

[ . . . . ]

Unless TXAZ is asking something different, or that I misunderstood his question. No, I agree that if someone buys something, regardless of what it is, they should be able to do whatever they so choose to do with it. Do I agree with what John Deere is doing with requiring owners of their equipment to sign such an agreement? Not just no, but hell NO! On one way, I see it as a means to "force" owners of John Deere equipment into paying for expensive repairs, or access to the equipment to get it repaired. And if other agriculture equipment manufacturers do the same, it would create a monopoly that would force owners into paying high prices to the dealerships, and cutting out the farmer or the independent repair shops from being able to do the repairs.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2019, 03:18:09 PM »
Well, I got out earlier this morning to survey how bad the damage was from last night's rain and wind. A few small limbs and such in the yard. The garden seems no worse for wear from the onslaught of massive amounts of rain early this morning.

Glad I got the yard mowed yesterday afternoon!  :rocknroll2:

JIC anyone might have wanted to know!  :wave1:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2019, 06:00:30 PM »
radar is showing that you're about to get more in just a while

I'm wanting things to dry out so that I can get back to Pasture mowing - but (non-destructive) rain is always welcome
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Online Shield45

• Can Pass the CHL Test
    • View Profile
Generally Useless Tidbits Of Information!
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2019, 06:01:43 PM »
Here in metro SA lil to no rain Today so far. Gonna run the mower shortly takes about 30 min to do this yard.
Maybe it will get a watering tonight.

Got it done real quick.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 07:26:10 PM by Shield45 »

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2019, 08:28:17 PM »
That was it Gilgondorin. 
I’d have a hard time having to wait for a guy to come out then having to pay them to replace something simple. 
Yea Ukrainian SW hackers!

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2019, 09:04:06 PM »
My wife tells everyone all the time, that I'm her trophy husband.

JIC anyone might be curious and wanted to know!  :wave1:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2019, 03:22:09 PM »
Anyone want to go fishing? Lake Axxe is up and still rising!  :wave1:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online Shield45

• Can Pass the CHL Test
    • View Profile
Generally Useless Tidbits Of Information!
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2019, 03:29:35 PM »
Rain stopped here in SA about 645 this am. Nothing since.
Leaving office early to go get my stuff loaded and go to the land. See how much water it got this past week. It looked like more fell out that a way than here.

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2019, 03:33:24 PM »
My wife tells everyone all the time, that I'm her trophy husband.

JIC anyone might be curious and wanted to know!  :wave1:
That’s great Axxe. Show us the trophy.  :th_thicon_idea: