Author Topic: What Up For Dinner Tonight?  (Read 2767 times)

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
What Up For Dinner Tonight?
« on: April 11, 2019, 11:28:31 PM »
On another forum there was a similar thread, and it was pretty popular, and I got lots of ideas for dinner just reading many of the posts!

Tonight we had leftovers from last night. The wife made some killer salsbury steaks from scratch, cooking them in the crock pot. along with some homemade mashed potatoes, corn and some fresh rolls from the local bakery. The gravy had plenty of onions and mushrooms in it, and I ate WAY more than I should have! But it was so good.  :th_thicon_idea:
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
Re: What Up For Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 07:47:08 PM »
Taco Friday! Homemade tacos, refried beans, guacamole, Ranchero beans, Spanish rice, nachos, chips and homemade salsa.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 08:42:57 PM »
Had beef ravioli in spaghetti sauce....

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 09:14:19 PM »
Went to Ron's Hamburgers and Chile Restaurant in Tomball.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline ArmedTexan

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 09:32:01 PM »
Cooked beef shish kebabs wrapped in bacon with onion and bell peppers on top of steamed white rice. Washed it down with a shiner bock.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 09:36:12 PM »
Cleaned out the fridge.  Mozzarella sticks, wings, mixed veggies and grapes. 

Offline ArmedTexan

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 09:45:34 PM »

Ever been to Pecos Steakhouse in Tomball? Itís just north of the old Lubys off of B249. Great tasty steaks and at fair price. The wife and I had dinner there for under $40 (before tip) this week.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 01:46:54 AM »

Is Goodson's Cafe still out there in Tomball? That place had some killer chicken fried steaks. The hamburgers were pretty good too.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 06:28:40 AM »

Is Goodson's Cafe still out there in Tomball? That place had some killer chicken fried steaks. The hamburgers were pretty good too.

Itís 630 AM, raining, thunder & lightning, and for some weird reason that sounds reeeeeal good right now.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 06:52:25 AM »
our WIs (weather idiots) forecast the stormy weather to come thru later this afternoon (Saturday) but we got a round last night at 11pm and again this morning at 2am

I don't mind it but 2 of our Dogs get scared - Wlfe and I finished the Barn Stall re-do yesterday just in time for our 2 Boys (horses) to get in from the wind (they do have the leantos on each side of the Barn to protect them from the rain)

last big storm that came thru offered up a lightning strike on one of our Pecan trees - blew 6" pieces of Bark over 100' in 2 directions and left 2 scars, one on either side of the tree, from top to bottom (hope the tree didn't suffer too bad  :help:
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 07:00:42 AM »

last big storm that came thru offered up a lightning strike on one of our Pecan trees - blew 6" pieces of Bark over 100' in 2 directions and left 2 scars, one on either side of the tree, from top to bottom (hope the tree didn't suffer too bad  :help:

We were at Philmont Scout camp in ~2010 where several scouts were seriously injured / killed when a tree exploded next to them from a direct lightning strike. We saw / camped near the tree about 3 days after the incident and the boys just didnít understand how a tree (the bark) could kill someone without falling on them.
Glad you werenít nearby Tango.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 07:08:28 AM »
Just had an omelet and turkey sausage  :th_thicon_idea:

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 08:28:16 AM »
I had bought a number of 2lb packages of wild caught Argentine Red Shrimp (16/20 count) at Sam's Club to be cooked during our recent visitation of friends - didn't, for some reason, use a lot so have a bunch in the freezer

went looking for a new recipe and found one that looks interesting so I'm gonna give it a try - it's called "Spanish Garlic Shrimp" (Gambas al Ajeillo) - 'sposed to be a "Tapa" type of dish that most Spanish restaurants serve - but I'm gonna make a meal with it

(garlic, hot smoked paprika, EVOO, kosher salt, dry sherry, Italian flat leaf parsley - I'll double the sauce recipe for the Rice)

will make up White Rice to go along with the Shrimp and will also have a "salad" of sliced Tomatoes and Cottage Cheese

(I've got a great chinaman recipe for Shrimp that I cook quite often but sometimes ya just gotta mix it up a bit.....)

variety - the spice of life
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline ArmedTexan

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 11:28:10 AM »

Yes Goodsonís is still there, they too have great food. Huge chicken fried steaks, awesome burgers too. Even though Tomball has grown, Goodsonís still reminds you of the small town country restaurant.

Offline Ceejmo

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • ἀνδρίζομαι
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 07:32:48 AM »

Yes Goodsonís is still there, they too have great food. Huge chicken fried steaks, awesome burgers too. Even though Tomball has grown, Goodsonís still reminds you of the small town country restaurant.

Goodson's does have a very good CFS but, I've heard from reliable sources that the BEST EVER CFS will be found at Mel's Country Cafe.

http://melscountrycafe.com/
It's hard to free people from the chains of stupidity when they wear them like jewelry.
Freedom or free stuff, you only get one.

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 09:17:48 AM »
There is an excellent CFS in College Station at Koppe Bridge / bar??

I can drive to it but donít remember the name.

Help me out Alte / Ship.

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 10:31:57 AM »
There is an excellent CFS in College Station at Koppe Bridge / bar??

I can drive to it but donít remember the name.

Help me out Alte / Ship.
The original Koppe Bridge on Wellborn Rd. was a renovated feed store that opened in the early 90's. My brother used to live about two miles away and ate there several times. It was actually in the city of Wellborn when it opened but College Station incorporated it about ten years ago. That whole area has really changed over the years. Use to be a one lane FM road now it's a three lane monstrosity. Hated that we lost that feed store as it was my go to place to buy Pre Core flea and tick spray,
The second one opened in the early 2000's on the east side of town on Harvey Road close to Hwy. 30. It's about a mile or two away as the crow flies from my place.
They are pretty well known for the burgers. A few years ago Texas Monthly rated them as one of the top ten burgers in the state. Their burgers are pretty good as is their chicken fried steak. In my opinion though the food at the original place is better. We get take out from the second location two or three times a year probably.
For local CSF I like The Longhorn in dowtown Bryan. Big steak that covers your plate. I eat half and box the rest for supper that evening.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2019, 03:23:51 PM »
Made some nachos, and finishing up the tacos for a afternoon snack before dinner. The wife is making a tater-tot casserole, or something of that nature! If I don't pull through, it's been nice knowing you guys!

Wish me luck. The wife is using me for experimentation tonight.  :th_nuts:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 09:10:22 PM »
I hated to hurt the wife's feelings, but the tater-tot casserole was horrible. She didn't even like it either. The dogs were licking their butts when they got finished eating it! Well, I give her credit for trying it out. And to be honest, very seldom does she make anything that tastes horrible.

Tonight, large baked potatoes, topped with lots of butter, sour cream and bacon bits, grilled some chicken breasts on the grill outside, Ranch style beans and some garlic toast.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 10:07:57 PM »
Today was Dadís 91ís birthday. We went to Saltgrass, he had shrimp, the rest of us stakes or Chicken Fried Steaks.
Nice low key dinner that was very good.