Author Topic: The Myth of Breaking In A new Barrel!  (Read 456 times)

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
The Myth of Breaking In A new Barrel!
« on: April 09, 2019, 11:14:17 PM »
This happens to show up quite frequently over the years. Do I need to "break in" the barrel of my new rifle?

I'd like to pass along some of my thoughts on this. Gun manufacturers have gotten better at machining and rifling barrels, using much better tooling and machines for the process of rifling barrels. One of the main reasons for "breaking in" a barrel had to do with the smoothness of the bore, and it's tendency to copper. or powder foul when fired. During the process of "breaking in" the barrel, firing a couple of shots and then cleaning, then repeating that process several times, was in essence a way of smoothing the bore so it didn't foul as fast, or more shots could be fired before fouling occurred, and then affecting the accuracy.

Most after-market barrels are already polished before the consumer gets the barrel. Gun manufacturers are using much better procedures, and tooling to make the bores much smoother than those in the past. So does "breaking in" a barrel help? IMO, in these current times with modern rifles, I suspect it doesn't accomplish anything that is going to result in greater accuracy of the rifle. Does it hurt? I would have to say no, it doesn't.

Personally, I think this is something that dates back to many years ago, and at one time, back  years ago, it probably did serve a useful purpose. Today? Not so much anymore.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online Shield45

• Can Pass the CHL Test
    • View Profile
Re: The Myth of Breaking In A new Barrel!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 06:25:21 AM »
My Windham AR(Which is chambered in 7.62x39) came with specific instructions on Barrel break-in.
IIRC it was shoot 2x clean Shoot 3x clean and GTG something like that.

IF a new weapon comes(came) with specific instructions Id follow them.

The AR  is the only new long gun Ive purchased in yrs but I did it as instructed.

Same as following the feild strip and clean routine on ANY new weapon.

MY .02 YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 08:00:36 AM »
If the gun or barrel manufacturer does specify a certain procedure, then yes, I'd recommend following it.

I have bought many older used rifles over the years, with more than few that shot sub-MOA with my hand loads, that I had no prior information as to how many rounds that had been through them, nor what cleaning measures were taken during it's time before me.

And to be honest, I have "broke in" a couple of new rifles in the past. One in particular, a Marlin XS7VH in 308 that I bought brand new as "budget" target rifle build, that has never fired one round of factory ammo yet to date. Now I did the "break in" during the load development using five round increments, then cleaning the bore, rinsed, and repeated. Did it help? IDK? But it does shoot well under sub-MOA if I'm doing my part!
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline RaySendero

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 09:33:37 AM »
I've never done any barrel "break-in".

My only absolute is to clean every new or new to me barrel before I shoot it.
Ray

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 12:52:39 PM »
I've never done any barrel "break-in".

My only absolute is to clean every new or new to me barrel before I shoot it.

Like I said, I have bought many rifles used, and never knew the history behind them, so there was no telling really how they were taken care of, or if they were ever "broke in", and the vast majority shot very accurately.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline BWM243

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 10:27:36 AM »
  have broke in about 17 new guns in my time 6 ML 6 CFR AND 5 AR,S and I did shoot 3 rounds quick clean then repeat this 3 times then 10 rounds clean 3 times all the time letting it cool down before shooting the next rounds all turned out to be 1/2 MOA or better even the ML was very good shooters out to 150 YD I made a kill with one of the ML at around 200 YD using a 44 240 GR SWC with a sabot so I think by braking them help them