Author Topic: Bore brush problem for mosin nagant  (Read 420 times)

Offline JAR

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
Bore brush problem for mosin nagant
« on: April 09, 2019, 06:21:45 PM »
Have been using .30 cal bronze bore brushes with nylon bristles I purchased from Brownell’s some time back.

Today cleaning a Mosin I observed that, after the brush exits/cleared the muzzle end, while still slowly turned the rod, the brush seemed to be bent. In other words, it rotates around unevenly and in an asymmetrical motion, as if bent at the stem. I switched my used brush out for a new brush and turned it outside of the rifle before use, just to check it. Again appears bent.

6 out of 7 brushes, all new and unused, appear bent. Only one turned in the same plane as the rod without deviating.

To make sure the rod itself wasn’t bent at the brass end (it is a carbon fiber Tipton rod, but threaded end is brass), I tried these brushes on an unused, brand new rod and another, used all-aluminum rod. But again they turn move around at odd angles, as if bent. I don’t think it’s the rod.

Questions:

A. Is this a bad batch of brushes?

B. Or, do Brownell’s brushes have quality control problems?

C. Is the unevenly turning bronze center of the brush nicking/scratching/damaging the bore as it travels the length?

I have no ther brushes on hand with which to clean, but am reluctant to use these out of concern that I am damaging the bore (and accuracy) by continued use.

All opinions welcome, thanks for reading.

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Bore brush problem for mosin nagant
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 07:24:42 PM »
I use copper brushes on my Mosins and have not had that problem.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 10:10:12 PM »
If you'll harken back to high school science class, you will remember that all materials in the world have a certain hardness, and softer materials will never be able to scratch harder ones. Steel is harder than bronze (and brass), so it shouldn't be harmed in the slightest (assuming the central wire is in fact bronze and not steel).

I can't tell you much about Brownells' Q.A. process as I've never bought anything from them. However it seems safe to say that you probably got a batch of brushes that were out of spec — whether you choose to use them that way or toss 'em and get new ones for peace of mind is up to you, but I'd try to straighten them out first either with pliers or by hand and see how they do.

As for your concerns about harming a Mosin-Nagant's bore................... As a former Mosin-Nagant enthusiast myself though, I gotta admit, I got a chuckle out of this thread. :thumbsup1:

Very few Mosin's are known for being precision rifles to begin with, and even the best and brightest M91/30 bores typically aren't anything to write home about. The only thing that would concern me would be the possibility of the brush's central wire being steel, or failure to properly pre-gaming your cleaning routine at the range with the chemical bath needed to neutralize the corrosive salts generated by shooting old corrosive military surplus ammo.

Not using a bore guide would normally also be a concern for even a standard bolt rifle, but at the same time this is just a Mosin, and I'm not even sure it would help much seeing as all your cleaning rod materials are supposedly me out of components that shouldn't even be able to scratch the metal of the bore.

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 11:02:38 PM »
Are they appearing bent after using, or before? If after using, maybe you are applying undue pressure in pushing them through the bore?
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.