Author Topic: Accuracy: Combat or Target?  (Read 198 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Gun Show Attendee
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Accuracy: Combat or Target?
« on: April 07, 2019, 09:24:54 PM »
What are everybody’s thoughts on combat accuracy vs target shooting. What level accuracy versus speed of shooting is acceptable in a self defense scenario?
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.

Offline Tarosean

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • You can make excuses or you can make ready.
    • View Profile
Re: Accuracy: Combat or Target?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 11:33:48 AM »
Reliability not withstanding.  target for sure.. Dont need anything that shoots minute of barn in a high stress situation.

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 02:28:14 PM »
Never been in combat, but for target shooting from 100 - 1200 yards my precision rifle Blaster is a 1/2 MOA rifle. 

As for Self Defense:  200 MOA is more than adequate accuracy if the bad guy is 5 feet away and you're sporting a 12 Gauge or a 5.56. (that's hitting within 4" of where you wanted to)

With that, I expect most self defense events are within 15 yards, so a 4"  aim / hit difference is about 20 MOA.

On the other hand if Boomer is going to 'stop the hoards' at 500 yards, it's a 2 MOA shot.  Blaster is a 1/2 MOA shot.

Precision long range shooters are consistently shooting 4-8" groups at 1,000 yards. 

The guys shooting the .22 national matches are 100 yards are shooting .25 - .5' groups, or .25 to .5 MOA.

The guys shooting really bad guys in Afghanistan and surrounding areas are effectively hitting a man sized target using Kentucky windage / hold-off's at 1-2 miles.  Their accuracy is .5 to .2 MOA.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 03:14:15 PM »
I think over 90% of self defense shootings are less than 7 yards, with the vast majority under 3 yards.

Still... I want target accuracy - that translates to combat accuracy.

I shoot a target on a sheet of paper. It is reversed colored. White inner circle, and black outer circle. Much, much easier to shoot at than a black inner circle.

If I can put an entire mag inside of the smaller white circle - at 7 yards, target shooting, I am satisfied with that. I have slight tremors in my left hand that has gotten a little worse as I have gotten older. But, I notice that it lessens if I go shoot in the afternoon as opposed to the morning.

I always wish I can shoot better - but when I shoot with my favorite gun, I am usually one of the better shooters on the range. I do well enough. Because of physical limitations, I've gotten about as accurate in target shooting as I can be.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 04:04:16 PM »
(I'm talking pistol shooting)

I don't "prep" with any combat/survival in mind.....I shoot because I enjoy pulling the trigger while at the same time I go for being more accurate - it's sorta like the game of Golf for me - play/shoot because I enjoy getting out and doing so (while at the same time trying to improve)

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 04:38:40 PM by Tango »
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 04:23:54 PM »
In rereading the OP question "What level accuracy versus speed of shooting is acceptable in a self defense scenario?", I believe the answer is "Enough to safely stop the threat without collateral damage."