Author Topic: Open Carry, Vs. Concealed Carry!  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Progressive Reloader
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Open Carry, Vs. Concealed Carry!
« on: April 07, 2019, 09:06:26 PM »
Open carry vs. concealed carry, or both or either.

Just wanted to get an idea, of what most prefer and why, but in no way is this a condemnation of one over the other, or that one is necessarily better or worse than the other.

Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Re: Open Carry, Vs. Concealed Carry!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 09:31:55 PM »
I still have yet to open carry in public. I've had my concealed permit since 1996.

Online Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 09:37:46 PM »
I'm still undecided on this issue and have been for the last 10 years.

There seems to be some incredibly compelling reasons in favor of carrying exclusively concealed. However, at the same time, I don't see much of an issue with carrying openly due to the relative convenience and comfort.

Moreover, although the argument that it makes you a target seems sound, I guess it just comes down to luck and fate; some criminals have been so f***in stupid they've gotten tunnel vision and robbed gas stations without realizing a uniformed police officer was standing literally inches behind them. However, knowing MY personal luck, I might screw around and get spotted by the one crook out of a hundred that's actually on the ball.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 09:44:11 PM »
Open carry = shoot me first / call the cops about a lunatic with a gun / piss off neighbors / businesses / others who used to think you were a nice guy and not a certifiable gun nut for carrying a gun in public.

(Yea, I know here we go again).

Offline AKM-47

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 11:26:02 PM »
I open carry around the house

Offline Axxe55

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 11:48:19 PM »
Personally, meh? I prefer concealed in public, but do carry openly around the farm and such.

I support both types of carry, and think it should be a person preference and choice. So passing open carry in Texas a couple of years ago, I see that as minor victory for gun rights. Not a huge one, but any victory when it comes to gun rights in a state is a step in the right direction IMO.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 11:58:39 PM »
I got my CC permit in the spring of 1988 I believe. Been a dedicated conceal carrier ever since. I live rural, so I do open carry some,, but I WONT intentionally in town. If my plans change, throw on a light jacket, and now im concealed.
The holtsters I use allow an easy change of plans.

I think open carry has its place, a TIME AND PLACE, , but its NOT at a little league game the day after a mass shooting of politicians playing a ball game. ( and I seen that stupidity, and people were freaking nervous and looking).

And there I was sitting watching my nephews game  with a CZ on my hip concealed and nobody was the wiser.

I was deer hunting one time with a big honking Ruger, and rode with my Dad that day to camp. Unknown to me, he had plans to stop at a steakhouse with some invited friends,, and his vehicle did NOT lock. So I was force to carry into the steak house. While I tried, pretty lamely, to conceal it. A  7' Ruger 45 LC  is just about impossible to conceal under a coat. The waitresses seen it, a few patrons seen it,, but we were dressed in hunting cloths, and NOBODY really seemed to care. And I was trying to be nonchalant watching to see if anyone was going to loose their libtard mind. But people didnt seem to care, it was DEER  HUNTING season. Practically a religious holiday in PA.  :th_thicon_funny:.

TIME AND PLACE.

If I seen some guys in rural Texas carrying big honking 45 colts of their hips, I wouldnt think a thing of it.

But if I seen the same thing in downtown Dallas, Id be watching them.

Im sorry to say, alot of people I see open carrying are just being total INTENTIONAL azzholes about it.
Most are total scum bag looking grunge trash, like the crew I seen with the PA PEOPLES MILITIA stickers on the window of their jeep the other day.
Like the ones that go parade around walmart.  :th_nuts:
These jackarses are NOT doing any 2A loving law abiding citizens any favors IMO. 

I prefer concealed, as I like the element of surprise and DONT have any desire to make MYSELF the 1st target for a would be perp to either shoot, or try to take me down.

Plus we now have a bunch of anti 2 A snowflakes that would only use open carry as an excuse to make a big dramatic scene and call the cops,,( which Ive seen that too. )

I prefer LOW PROFILE.

And if Im in a store thats being robbed, or inside a place where gunfire breaks out from badguys,, I DONT want anyone knowing Im armed until Im shooting the bastards.   :th_thicon_idea: ( if it comes to that)

The military taught me the important advantages of ambush,, and I will gladly take ANY and ALL advantages against bad guys I can get.  :thumbsup1:

I believe in open carry,, but people just need to use their head a little while doing it.
And sadly, most are not. 
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Axxe55

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 12:07:09 AM »
Well put DCD.  :th_thicon_idea:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 05:17:43 PM »
I don't open carry anywhere ever and never will.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline AKM-47

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 05:21:59 PM »
I went to the Walmart in La marque today to get a few things and noticed a women open carrying

I glanced at her to see if she was a (unmarked) police officer or something related (a belt badge) . she was not

I'm guessing Walmart will allow open carry

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 06:04:11 PM »

I knew you were a pretty smart guy 308!

I'm not open carrying until I can get a holster for Boomer.

Offline Axxe55

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 06:49:46 PM »

Hmmm.....holster, Boomer..... :th_nuts:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 09:10:41 PM »
I went to the Walmart in La marque today to get a few things and noticed a women open carrying

I glanced at her to see if she was a (unmarked) police officer or something related (a belt badge) . she was not

I'm guessing Walmart will allow open carry

Yes, they seem to. HEB does not, though

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 09:51:40 PM »

Hmmm.....holster, Boomer..... :th_nuts:

(Boomer with the Suppressor)

« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 01:51:11 PM by TXAZ »

Offline ArmedTexan

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 08:06:32 AM »
I conceal carry just about everywhere but I do open carry to the gun range.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Offline Ben Dare

• Law Enforcement Officer
  • Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 08:21:47 AM »
I have never open carried.....except before retirement.....and I was in uniform then. My opinion: Open carry is giving up all your tactical advantage. When someone gets stupid and becomes a threat to others, the surprise of pulling your hidden weapon and taking care of the problem in whatever way you decide, is a lot smarter because you are not marked as a target first off.

For the second time since open carry became legal in Texas, I witnessed a  goober walk into a business with a semi-auto in a holster.........but NO magazine in the weapon. Surely that was not intentional. I'm thinking they squirmed around in the car seat and hit the mag release button by accident. I sure wish I could see the look on their face when they open the car door and see what they left behind!
I'm retired and bored, so pay attention when I say....
GET OFF MY LAWN!