Author Topic: The Lever-Action Rifle: The Original Assault Rifle.  (Read 789 times)

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
The Lever-Action Rifle: The Original Assault Rifle.
« on: April 07, 2019, 02:25:00 AM »
when Henry and later Winchester came out with the lever action rifle, they were essentially the first assault rifles of their era! think about it, if you had a lever action and your enemies had single shots or muzzle loaders, you were at the top of the food chain!

i have been a fan of lever actions for many years and have owned quite a few over the years as well, from various manufacturers. my favorites will always be the Winchesters though.

so lets discuss lever action rifles.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Geoman

• Owns a Gunbelt
    • View Profile
Re: The Lever-Action Rifle: The Original Assault Rifle.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 08:47:14 PM »
I have a Win 94 in .44 magnum to go with my Dan Wesson pistol and about 1000 rounds of ammo in case things go south.  Mine is a top ejector so not a lot of options for modern scopes/red dots.  I tried an adapter but didn't like the handling.  So I'm back to the iron sights.  But then the range of a .44 mag is not far; 100 yard shots at the most I'm thinking.  I love the handling and general shoot-ability of the rifle.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 08:59:05 PM »
I have a Win 94 in .44 magnum to go with my Dan Wesson pistol and about 1000 rounds of ammo in case things go south.  Mine is a top ejector so not a lot of options for modern scopes/red dots.  I tried an adapter but didn't like the handling.  So I'm back to the iron sights.  But then the range of a .44 mag is not far; 100 yard shots at the most I'm thinking.  I love the handling and general shoot-ability of the rifle.

I have a soft spot for a lever-action and a revolver chambered in the same round. I really NEED a Marlin or Winchester chambered in 44 Magnum to go with my revolver.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 09:04:18 PM »
Incredible weapon.
I have a Winchester in .30-30.
Its fun to shoot (but not as much as Boomer).

Offline Shield45

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 06:02:48 AM »

I have a soft spot for a lever-action and a revolver chambered in the same round. I really NEED a Marlin or Winchester chambered in 44 Magnum to go with my revolver.
Have 3 model 94 30-30s.
I like them alot. Good shooting accurate little easy to tote rifles.

I WANT a 357 chambered long gun to go with my revolver as a SHTF combo. However I know lever versions are common I am looking for a Remington model 77 BA rifle in 357. Just want a different one. I would not be unhappy with a lever version in 357 however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Axxe55

• 15 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 01:05:32 PM »

Have 3 model 94 30-30s.
I like them alot. Good shooting accurate little easy to tote rifles.

I WANT a 357 chambered long gun to go with my revolver as a SHTF combo. However I know lever versions are common I am looking for a Remington model 77 BA rifle in 357. Just want a different one. I would not be unhappy with a lever version in 357 however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had at least one Winchester or Marlin that was chambered in 30-30 for over thirty years!

I am going to do a thread on "resto-modding" my Model 94!  :wave1:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline cporfe

• Supporting Member
  • Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 05:43:54 PM »
I bought a Uberti "clone" 1873 with short octagonal barrel more than a decade ago for SASS back when I lived in VA.  Had it locally slicked up for competition.   It's in .357 Mag, but I've only shot mid-range loaded cowboy .38spls.  Its a fantastic gun and one day my youngest daughter will get it.  Assuming she doesn't go full-liberal on me and swear off firearms (she already has 3 of my handguns).

I also own a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag.  Only shooting cowboy loads in it for now.  I have some hot .44 Spl defense loads I'll try out one of these days.  Don't know if this is a Remlin or not, but it works fine for me and is relatively accurate at 75 yards considering my eyesight.  I mean, I can hit the 8" black circle all the time, but the grouping is like buck shot.  That's on me.

I've been thinking of getting a Henry in .327 Mag to go with my Ruger SA, but they're expensive on Social Security.  And I don't know how practical it would be.  I'd love to fall into a Rossi .45 Colt at a decent price, but that hasn't happened yet.  Probably never will.

Anyway, my Italian clone 1873 and American made 1894 work fine for me.
I'm on the 7 day weekend plan.  I'm retired!!