Author Topic: What is your favorite handgun of all time?  (Read 1559 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite handgun of all time?
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2019, 10:02:06 PM »
I’m not sure if I have a favorite. I like them all equally, but my Ruger Sercurity Six in .357 magnum I could never sell.

The Ruger "Six" series was such a well thought out design, and well made pistols, that you very seldom see them for sale. I have shot a few in the past. Very nice shooting and accurate revolvers.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline ArmedTexan

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2019, 05:12:56 PM »
I’m not sure if I have a favorite. I like them all equally, but my Ruger Sercurity Six in .357 magnum I could never sell.

The Ruger "Six" series was such a well thought out design, and well made pistols, that you very seldom see them for sale. I have shot a few in the past. Very nice shooting and accurate revolvers.

Yes that is right, very accurate. It was my grandfather’s sidearm when he was a sheriff deputy for Harris County back in the 1970s.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Offline cporfe

• Supporting Member
  • Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2019, 05:33:12 PM »
Gee, that's like asking which one of my three daughters I love the most.  But since it's just a poll of well informed shooters, here goes.

Of all my many handguns I've owned and still own, I would have to say a S&W Md 10 4inch heavy barrel after the trigger job.  It's my go to range gun.  Actually, I have 4 plus a Md 65 heavy barrel so they all are my fav.

As for what's next or what if;  I wish I still had a S&W Md39 or 439.  I've sold both my Md 39's (one in '75 and the other in 2013).  I'd love for another, but they really aren't practical in today's market and they are expensive unless you want to settle for junk.  As for the Md 439, an internal piece of the frame that guided the firing pin block release cracked than broke completely rendering this fine gun useless.  It went for parts as a frame repair was never in the question as S&W actually forged the frame on those early models.

So, that's my answer.  Or answers or.....

PS:  I loved my Kahr K9 I bought as a LEO trade in.  The trigger was so smooth it was like not pulling it at all, but the gun was heavy and kept pulling my pants down when I carried it.  I sold it to a good trading buddy of mine when I live in VA who kept asking until I gave in.  That gun I wish I kept just because.
I'm on the 7 day weekend plan.  I'm retired!!

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2019, 06:58:43 PM »
Impossible for me to pare it down to just one. I like pinned S&W revolvers and have several of those all in
.38 Special and assorted other Smith's in various calibers. Firearms dedicated for range use like my PMR 30 with the Burris red dot see a lot of action as do my AR 15 pistols and, for me, just plain fun to shoot.

Axxe: Look what I picked up the other day. A 3" stainless .357 Mag. Service Six in pristine condition not even a cylinder ring. Doesn't look like it was ever taken out of the box or fired. Came with original box, Ruger soft case, a set of Pachmayr grips that were never installed and all the paperwork. Talk about a unicorn find. You rarely see this model in stainless and especially with a three inch barrel and in this condition. Don't know whether to just look at it or shoot it :icon_wink: May turn it into my new daily carry.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2019, 05:40:35 AM »
nice lookin' pistol
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2019, 08:25:22 AM »
question Alte :  why the "like" of pinned barrels ?

Offline cbp210

• Law Enforcement Officer
  • Hits the Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2019, 09:23:33 AM »
My favorite handgun which I have so much confidence and just like the ergonomics is the SIG P228.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2019, 11:02:39 AM »
question Alte :  why the "like" of pinned barrels ?
S&W stopped making pinned and recessed revolvers in 1982. You can go on the S&W forums and find  a hundred different reasons why people prefer the pinned and recessed models. Better quality and better overall appearance to name a couple. Not saying the revolvers made after 1983 are inferior, they shoot just as well as the pinned models and I own a few. The stainless models made between '88 and '93 are very popular and I have a couple of those. The "classic" retro models S&W if offering now do not appeal to me at all as any model with the locking feature on the side plate.
In 1970 the Army introduced me to S&W revolvers, mainly the model 10 in .38 special, and I found I was a lot more accurate with a revolver than the 1911. Still true to this day. For the last several years pinned models in decent condition, while not scarce, are just not as common than they use to be. I enjoy going to shows. pawn shops and gun stores try to find that one jewel I don't have. Good examples are starting to command big money now. I snatched a post WWII pre model number10 (1949 manufacture) last year that I am really pleased with.
So to sum this up it's basically just a preference and, to me, just old school cool. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 02:23:38 PM by Alte Schule »
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2019, 11:55:06 AM »
gotcha, just curious

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2019, 01:09:52 PM »
Probably my favorite pistols are going to have to be the classic 1911 platform. And not necessarily the Colt's either. Just those built as they were meant to be. No double-stacks, no rails or lights, no external extractors. Just plain and simple 1911's and 1911A1's.

Back in the late 1980's, I really wanted a Beretta 92 in 9mm, really bad. But my buddy that owned a gun store at  the time tried to get me one, but they were almost non-existent, due to Beretta trying to fill the government orders. He talked me into a Springfield Armory 1911, I  don't recall the exact model now, but it was one of the more basic models I do remember. My buddy was a former Marine, and is pretty much a 1911 nut case! He made me deal that if I didn't like the 1911, he would buy it back and go to hell and back to get me a Beretta 92. So with that, I bought my first 1911 in 1987 IIRC. At that time, I had only seen 1911's but had never even shot one, but from that first one, I was forever hooked on them! I didn't get the Beretta then, but did buy a few years later. I like the Beretta's and think they are great pistols as well, but there is just something iconic and historical about classic 1911 pistols to me.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2019, 03:15:02 PM »
Hickok45 shoots my Springfield 1911 - the TRP .45acp :

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2019, 03:25:36 PM »
and then here's "the Man" shooting my favorite 1911 : 

Offline Shield45

• Gun Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2019, 04:22:01 PM »
I really like this one as a shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Shield45

• Gun Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2019, 04:24:53 PM »
and then here's "the Man" shooting my favorite 1911 : 

Buddy has one.
Before I shot it I thought it would be different.
After shooting it and see how unreliable and finicky it is for the money I was not that impressed.

Even with changing the recoil spring it would not run 38s as advertised.

My 02 on Coonans.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2019, 04:58:16 PM »
even tho the Coonan company touts the non-fact that the pistol will shoot .38special ammo (with a change of the included Spring) Coonan (forgot his 1st name - Dan maybe ?) said "if someone want's to shoot .38special ammo they should buy a pistol that's made to shoot .38special - my pistol was built to shoot .357magnum and it does that very well"

I have never had a problem with any of the 3 Coonan pistols that I've owned (that's me, Tango, talkin'..)

(the pistol WILL shoot .38spec, it just won't recycle - so, if you want to shoot .38special, buy a pistol that's built to shoot .38 spec.....but if you want a reliable 1911 platform that shoots .357mag, buy a Coonan)

Offline Shield45

• Gun Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2019, 05:51:38 PM »
even tho the Coonan company touts the non-fact that the pistol will shoot .38special ammo (with a change of the included Spring) Coonan (forgot his 1st name - Dan maybe ?) said "if someone want's to shoot .38special ammo they should buy a pistol that's made to shoot .38special - my pistol was built to shoot .357magnum and it does that very well"

I have never had a problem with any of the 3 Coonan pistols that I've owned (that's me, Tango, talkin'..)

(the pistol WILL shoot .38spec, it just won't recycle - so, if you want to shoot .38special, buy a pistol that's built to shoot .38 spec.....but if you want a reliable 1911 platform that shoots .357mag, buy a Coonan)

Yup it went bang just no cycle.
However THEY provide the spring and tell you it will.
Jus saying.

Glad you like um and have reliable ones.

Enjoyed shooting it either way.

357 mag to me is best in a wheelie.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2019, 07:23:10 PM »
I've shot Tango's Coonan and it is everything it's said to be and more. I was very impressed. If you can get the hardware to shoot .38 SP even better,
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2019, 06:01:06 AM »
/
just to be clear, it's a fact that the Coonan pistol will not cycle .38spec ammo reliably - when my Coonan goes out to shoot, the .38spec ammo stays home

and, by the way.....I "think" that the Coonan company is in financial trouble (will get on one of the Coonan forums and see what there is to see) - if that's the case I'm gonna start a hunt for a 2nd Coonan Classic (the 5" barrel) with the Black Duracoat finish to buy.....