Author Topic: How Often Are Guns Actually Used In Self Defense?  (Read 534 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
How Often Are Guns Actually Used In Self Defense?
« on: April 05, 2019, 08:32:08 AM »
Interesting article i found  on one of my news feeds.

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/13/602143823/how-often-do-people-use-guns-in-self-defense

Some differing viewpoints, and interesting information in the article. I'll let you draw your own conclusions after reading it.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: How Often Are Guns Actually Used In Self Defense?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 08:34:08 AM »
well two different lines of thought go through my head on this. if i were to draw my weapon, but not discharge it, yes, i'm going to report it to LE. for two reasons. one, first of all to cover my own butt legally, in case someone else were to report me pulling a gun. then they would know why i had pulled it, but not discharged it, and that it was a justified reason for doing so. second, what if i did pull my weapon, but didn't discharge it, and the mere presence deterred a criminal act towards me, but i didn't report it, and a description of the potential attacker, and he moved on to a softer target that wasn't armed, and they hurt, or killed that person? not acceptable IMO.

those are my reasons that if my weapon is pulled, but not discharged, yes, there would be a police report filed.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 08:35:56 AM »
something to think about. how many times, has just the presence of a firearm deterred a criminal act? IMO, we may never really know, because there just isn't anyway to accurately quantify such a thing.

another thing to consider as well, the gun also served it's purpose, without having have fired a shot either.

now, here is my beliefs on this, regardless of whether we can ever accurately quantify such answers, i most assuredly do believe that just the mere presence of a firearm can be a deterrent to a criminal act. and that i support and will be why i will always carry. if a criminal sees my weapon, and decides to abort his attempted criminal behavior, then two things stand out and come out as positives for me, one, i didn't have to shoot anyone, (which is exactly what i would prefer anyways.) and two, my firearm served it's intended purposes and did it's job. i call that a win all the way around for everyone.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 09:05:20 AM »
something to think about. how many times, has just the presence of a firearm deterred a criminal act? IMO, we may never really know, because there just isn't anyway to accurately quantify such a thing.
Anecdotally, there are plenty of reports. Someone was going to do something stupid, they walk into the bank / convenience store or business and video or first hand accounts show them turning around when they see an armed guard.

First-hand wise, 40 years ago an unloaded Remington Model automatic shotgun stopped 2 burglars in their tracks, who then tried to walk out...

I also seem to remember 20+/- years ago armed bank robbers walking up to a bank with guns out only to step inside the bank to see the Phoenix SWAT team on an exercise. They tried to walk back out but it was a no-bueno day for them.

Offline AKM-47

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 10:51:45 AM »
You may not have to fire your weapon to scare the/a intruder, racking the slide will let them know they are not alone and you are armed

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 01:57:14 PM »
You may not have to fire your weapon to scare the/a intruder, racking the slide will let them know they are not alone and you are armed

That's exactly what I did with the 2 teenage burglars.

I'm still convinced one of them pooped his pants right after I did that and told him to tell his co-burglar goodbye...

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 03:02:24 PM »
Personally, I don't do warning shots, or any sorts of auditory warnings such as racking a slide on pistol or a shotgun. In most cases, my pump shotguns are loaded, but not chambered, so if they did hear me rack the slide on that pump, it will be the last sound they ever hear.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 06:13:38 PM »

... I don't do warning shots,...
I remember hearing a senior level discussion during my tenure at DPS on legalities and practicalities of why you don't give a warning shot.  Don't remember the details but it was clear the answer was "Don't".

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 06:18:19 PM »

... I don't do warning shots,...
I remember hearing a senior level discussion during my tenure at DPS on legalities and practicalities of why you don't give a warning shot.  Don't remember the details but it was clear the answer was "Don't".

One reason is, if you only felt a warning shot was needed, then possibly having a gun wasn't probably needed in the first place. I think they call it brandishing maybe?
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline AdioSS

• 7 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
    • VEPR.org
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 01:25:40 AM »
I’d say that the limited capacity of a gun would be a good reason to not give any warning shots. Plus, the old saying that there’s a lawyer attached to every bullet.

I have personally used (Pulled & pointed, but didn’t fire) my handgun in a defensive situation to where the presence of it made the other guy change his mind. I was just getting in my truck after a date where we went to a pool hall/bar after dinner when a van pulled up behind me blocking me in. A guy came up to my driver’s window begging for money. I had my M9 leveled at his chest, but he couldn’t see it at first in the dark against my dark clothes. He wasn’t wanting to leave & asked to shake my hand. I said I was not going to do that & activated the Crimson Trace laser. He saw that & got the heck out of there. On my way home I called the local police to let them know, just in case anything else happened to let them know to keep a watch of the area. Nothing ever came from it.
Cheston

Offline DCD327

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 07:50:11 PM »
I dont understand this guys logic.
Maybe cause I'm not a Harvard educated liberal? 🤔😂

He claims that only .09 percent of gun owners who carry for SD , actually use their weapon for SD. AND therefore the mere risk of OWNING a gun far outweighs the risk of NOT having one at all. 

That's pure 100% BS IMO. .

In my 32 years of conceal carry, my sidearm has saved my butt a bunch of times.
The mere presence of it ,when the perp realized I Was ARMED, has saved me from being attacked quite a few times.
I've opened my coat and left them see it with my hand almost to it.  It's like OK,, WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO NOW FELLA..  CHOOSE WISELY,  CAUSE THERE IS GONNA BE A TEST AFTERWARDS.

Only twice has it been drawn. But I've had my hand on it a bunch of times.
Late at night leaving my Inlaws with my wife. We were met by a group on the sidewalk leading from the street to the house, . One seen us and approached but stopped in his tracks when i opened my coat and grabbed the grip on my CC. The guy was even told. "If you take another step towards me and force me to pull this YOU ARE GETTING SHOT DEAD. "  They RAN. That was reported.
 Funny, for 20 years my wife said I shouldnt carry 24/7 and was paranoid,, until that happened. She owned her own Pistol shortly after that incident. And now has 2.  😁 And YES,  I trained her to use them. We spent alot of range days that year, until I was confident she knew everything about using, cleaning, loading, unloading, and firing her sidearms. And surprisingly, she is a helluva shot to. She really never fired, guns in her life before that. Only mine once in  a great while. .

Another, while on my way home from work at 430am,, they boxed me in on a back dirt road.
When the lead perp walked up beside my truck door and looked in, I cocked the hammer on a Ruger blackhawk 45LC that was pointed right at his chest. .  He about wet himself. He stuttered "we will move the car" I said YEAH YOU DO THAT. when he fast walked away his buddy was approaching  the passenger door which was locked,  but whe he looked in the window he got to see how big the hole is in a 45 barrel. 😳 He spun and ran to the car saying,
HES GOT A GUN,, A BIG FING GUN. 😝 They couldn't get outta there fast enough. So fast, I failed to get their plate number,, but did report it. Turned out they were robbing the camps at a campground about 100 yards through the woods in a private resort. But the township road gave them walking access. I drove through there at 415 am everyday on my way home and kept seeing their car o  this desolate road. I kinda figured what they were doing, and intentionally put the 45 in the console because of that. I just had a funny feeling I might need it. At that time, my wife berated me for "packing heavy. " as I also had my beretta 92 in my lunch bucket.  :th_thicon_funny:They were arrested about a week later.

Another time in Pittsburgh, I was approached by a group of pimps while getting out of my truck to go into the hotel room. I had a stainless 327 federal mag ruger blackhawk in my hand when they came around the front of the truck. They also ran. I never even pointed it.i didnt report it cause they were out there every night and you could hear gunfire almost every night on the next hill of McKees rocks.  The sidewalk In Front of our hotel was very noticeably  quiet at night after that.  :th_thicon_idea:

This guys article is really talking BS straight out both side of his mouth imo.

One of the biggest things that's kept me from using a gun to shoot someone at home is my German shepherds.  I go out with a gun, yes. But the dogs scare the crap outta people. They seem to be more worried about being chewed to pieces by a big dog than they are about getting shot.  BEST home security system there is imo.
 I know when anyone is on my property long before they even get close to the house., so I'm waiting on them. What a fantastic early warning alarm. And these shepherds DONT miss  a thing either. I'm very grateful for my dogs. Especially the older I get.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".