Author Topic: Burger Bonanza!  (Read 401 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Burger Bonanza!
« on: April 05, 2019, 06:40:06 AM »
i love a good hamburger! my criteria for what i consider a great burger isn't difficult. i want a juicy, firm and flavorful patty of meat. if it has cheese, i want it almost gooey. (is that even a word?) i don't want an over-abundance of vegetables, and i want a good bun that is firm, but still soft.

one of the reasons i like my burgers i grill at the house is the bit of smoky wood flavor it gives the meat while cooking.

and condiments? i like simple. if i'm having a cheeseburger, then i want mustard to give a little bit of tang to offset the cheese flavor. if just a plain burger, then i want the sweeter flavor of Miracle Whip. and i mean Miracle Whip, and not mayo! ketchup IMO doesn't belong on a burger, but on fries or onion rings! just the way i see it.

sides? most of the time, i like fries. salty! now if a place has hand battered onion rings. i love them! Sonic breaded onions are okay. not bad, but surely not great.

now for the most part, as far as fast food joints, the closest that comes to my criteria, and is pretty consistent no matter what city i'm in is WhataBurger. Sonic pulls a close second for me as well, and i can find them just about anywhere i happen to be.

but some of the best burger joints are the little mom and pop places in most small towns. we use to have several here that have gone, but still have couple of them left. gone, but not forgotten are, Ralph's Drive-In, Hecks Drive-In, Hot Rod's Burger, and Texas Burger. still around here are, The Hamburger Bar, Chip's Burger Village, Lone Star Grill, The Rusty Cactus Grill, City Street Cafe, Harcat & Lou's Diner, and The Blue Store.

my ranking for out of town eating and having to pick a fast food burger place. from best to worst:

1) Whataburger.   
2) Sonic.
3) Wendy's.
4) Dairy Queen.
5) Jack In The Box.
6) Burger King.
7) McDonalds.
8) A&W

honorable mention, because i don't get the frequent these as much, unless i'm out of town.

1) Carl's Jr./Hardee's
2) Red Robin
3) In-N-Out Burgers.
4) Checker's/Rally's
5) Fuddrucker's
6) Steak n" Shake.
7) Five Guys.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Re: Burger Bonanza!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 09:18:10 AM »
First time I had a Carl’s Jr. Burger it was way undercooked. 7 years later I tried it again, same thing. 
Again, a few years ago it was the only place to eat while traveling ...  yep, I’m done with Carl.
But if you guys like it, great. 
My top3 are:
1) Whataburger (Avenue K)
2) Whataburger (Webb’s  Chapel)
3) Sonic

Offline AKM-47

• Brass Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 10:57:12 AM »
Fast food.. Wendy's

Other ..Beyond Burger

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 02:57:54 PM »
I worked at the original Bob's (Big Boy) restaurant after HS/before Army as, 1st a Soda Jerk, then a Cook - I absolutely loved the Bob's Big Boy (even tho I cooked 1000s of 'em)

don't go to many Burger joints but I did like McDonald's - until I noticed the size of their burgers shrunk to a size a little bigger than a silver dollar - adios McDonald's..)

Wife and I were in Tyler a while back (without eating breakfast) so stopped at a Burger King and got a double meat Burger - 'twas tasty - so, with nothing modern-day to compare it to I have to say.....ta da.....Burger King

(but I've gotta say that my home-made Teriyaki Burgers are THE BEST   :th_thicon_idea:)
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 03:07:39 PM »
I worked at the original Bob's (Big Boy) restaurant after HS/before Army as, 1st a Soda Jerk, then a Cook - I absolutely loved the Bob's Big Boy (even tho I cooked 1000s of 'em)

don't go to many Burger joints but I did like McDonald's - until I noticed the size of their burgers shrunk to a size a little bigger than a silver dollar - adios McDonald's..)

Wife and I were in Tyler a while back (without eating breakfast) so stopped at a Burger King and got a double meat Burger - 'twas tasty - so, with nothing modern-day to compare it to I have to say.....ta da.....Burger King

(but I've gotta say that my home-made Teriyaki Burgers are THE BEST   :th_thicon_idea:)

We got a new Burger King just several months ago, after the last one left over twenty years ago. The wif got a gift certificate from a co-worker at Christmas last year, and we tried it out. I was very impressed with the quality, sizes and prices of the burgers. It was quite good.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."

Offline randyjaco

• 5 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 05:42:56 PM »
It's not much more than a convenience store, but Stanton's City Bites on Edwards has the best burgers in the Houston area. They grind their own meat with a non-politically correct fat content. Try their bacon cheeseburger and their fries. Your cardiologist will have a heart attack, but you will have the best meal you will have in years.
Randy
Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again." (Unknown)

"There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box" (Frederick Douglass)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 05:50:34 PM »
Does anyone in Houston remember Charlie's Hamburger Joint? IIRC, they had one close to downtown, and I know there was one out on I-10 close to Memorial City Mall, close to Bingle Road. I think they had another one out on I-45 not far from Conroe.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 07:22:17 PM »
I cooked some burgers Wednesday evening, and had some left over from that night, so tonight, I re-heated a couple of patties under the broiler, with some Swiss cheese, all melted and gooey! Toasted some buns in the cast iron skillet, slathered the buns with mayo, topped with some thinly sliced onions and dill pickles. Made some home made french fries, seasoned with Tony's Cajun seasoning, and am washing it down with some iced sweet tea!  :wave1:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 06:05:38 PM »
For me it's just a couple of places.
Whataburger
Ron's Hamburgers and Chile- Tomball Tx.
Red Robin
Carl JR's -Tomball Tx.
Wendys
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 06:22:57 PM »
A few years ago, in Palestine, they built a new Denny's restaurant, with a convenience store, deli and a small truck stop as well, with a very large parking area out back. The deli had the usual truck stop hot and cold food to eat, like fried chicken, burritos, hot dogs, corn dogs, fries, stuffed peppers, various cold sandwiches along with various bulk cold cuts and cheeses. But they have a burger and cheeseburger platter that is out of this world. A huge hand formed patty cooked on flat-top grill, served on huge fresh baked bun, topped with the usual toppings, and your choice of type of cheese, served with a huge order of hand-cut fries and a 32 oz. fountain drink for $6.99 for the cheeseburger platter, and $6.49 for the regular burger platter. I was very impressed with the price, but they were really very damn good burgers, and would have been worth twice what you paid for the size of the meal, given how good a burger they were.

Only sad thing is, you have to get in there before 6pm, because that's when they shut down the deli for the evening.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 08:32:28 PM »
Just a couple of quick stories: In 1965 a Burger Chef opened in town and a burger (no cheese) was a 10 cents, fries 10 cents and a small drink was a nickle. 25 cents no tax.
Late in my junior year in high school (1969) I started dating a girl that was a senior and worked at the local Dairy Queen. Two or three days a week after baseball practice I'd cruise trough the drive in and get my free double cheese burger, fries or rings, and a chocolate shake.
The summer before my senior year was awesome as she became an assistant manager. Chicken fingers for lunch and free food for me and whatever buddy I brought along before closing.
Just before Christmas my senior year I found out she was seeing some older dude on the side. Didn't miss her but sure missed those free fries.
Once a year or so I'll grab a chicken fried steak sammich, fries and a shake at the local DQ. I believe the people that work their think I'm a weird old man as I always sit there eating with a smile on my face.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 08:51:41 PM »
Back years ago we had some local drive-in burger joints that were pretty good, and several had been around since the 1950's. There was Ralph's Drive-In, Heck's Drive-In, Chip's Burger Village, and The Dairy Mart Drive-In. They all had very good burgers, but Ralph's was the best of all of them. Of all them, only Chip's Burger Village is still going. Heck's closed down in the late 1970's, Dairy Mart in the early 1980's, and Ralph's in the mid 1990's when the owner passed away, and his son took over and ran it into the ground and ended up having to close.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 10:33:24 AM »
Today is National Burger Day folks!  :wave1:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/everywhere-you-can-get-free-and-cheap-burgers-for-national-burger-day/ar-AABZESZ?li=BBnbfcL

So in honor, we are going to grill some more juicy wonderful burgers at Casa del Axxe this even for dinner.  :rocknroll2:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.