Author Topic: Where would you like to retire?  (Read 374 times)

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Where would you like to retire?
« on: March 28, 2019, 07:37:41 PM »

While Texas shows up at 20th, $ wise it's not bad, better than average.

Here's a link to the article that works and tells why Kentucky is #50: 

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-worst-states-to-retire/18592/#main-findings

Here is their ranking (If you go to the site you can sort based on Healthcare:

Overall Rank

Overall Rank   State   Total Score   ‘Affordability’ Rank   ‘Quality of Life’ Rank   ‘Health Care’ Rank
(1=Best)               
1   Florida                    65.6   1   7   27
2   South Dakota            63.72   9   22   5
3   Colorado                    62.19   26   9   4
4   New Hampshire             61.8   25   3   9
5   Virginia                    60.82   14   13   24
6   Utah                            60.73   16   14   16
7   Iowa                        60.41   27   8   10
8   Wyoming                    60.13   8   12   36
9   Pennsylvania            59.94   23   5   22
10   Minnesota                    59.88   43   1   1
11   Delaware                    59.67   15   28   17
12   Wisconsin                    59.32   30   4   20
13   Idaho                    58.37   18   19   31
14   Arizona                     57.6   28   29   12
15   Missouri                     57.6   17   36   26
16   Michigan                     57.5   29   16   21
17   Ohio                             57.43   20   27   28
18   South Carolina              57.15   4   39   37
19   North Dakota              56.89   35   21   6
20   Texas                      56.85   5   38   38
21   Massachusetts              56.6   44   2   3
22   North Carolina              56.42   19   31   34
23   Maine                      55.94   39   10   14
24   Kansas                      55.73   24   26   35
25   California                      55.4   34   15   15
26   Nebraska                      55.26   41   17   8
27   Nevada                      54.96   12   35   41
28   Illinois                      54.87   38   25   11
29   Montana                      54.39   31   23   33
30   Georgia                      53.48   13   40   42
31   Washington              53.42   36   18   32
32   Alaska                      53.16   37   32   25
33   Oklahoma                      53.07   6   42   43
34   Indiana                      52.94   21   37   40
35   Oregon                      52.21   40   24   30
36   New York                      51.36   47   11   13
37   Tennessee                      51.22   7   44   44
38   Connecticut              51.09   48   20   7
39   Alabama                      50.88   2   46   48
40   Hawaii                      50.66   49   34   2
41   Maryland                      50.55   42   30   19
42   Louisiana                      50.06   10   45   45
43   Mississippi                      48.87   3   50   50
44   Arkansas                      48.53   11   49   46
45   New Mexico              47.92   33   47   39
46   New Jersey              47.85   45   33   29
47   Vermont                      47.76   50   6   23
48   West Virginia              47.26   22   41   49
49   Rhode Island              45.94   46   43   18
50   Kentucky                      43.85   32   48   47
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 10:00:52 AM by TXAZ »

Offline audiophile

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
Re: Where would you like to retire?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 08:08:26 PM »
Anywhere beachy, east coast or gulf.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline randyjaco

• Professional Target Hanger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 08:56:55 PM »
I am very happy with Friendswood TX. Been retired here for 13 years. Couldn't be happier.

Randy
Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again." (Unknown)

"There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box" (Frederick Douglass)

Offline DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 09:35:52 PM »
Ok. So up front,, Id like temps about 25 coldest, to 85 hottest.

1. Florida. ? ? ?  Thats the biggest tourist trap in the USA.  And its jammed packed ALREADY. Totally brutal heat in summer,, Hurricanes all winter,, cost of living is just insane. No thanks. Been there. Wouldnt even pick it for a free vacation.

2. South Dakota ? ? ?   Has anyone who voted that actually BEEN THERE ?  :facepalm:
Ive been there alot,,, and that state NEVER crossed my mind. If you dont mind flat lands with a perpetual 50 MPH wind in summer,, 70  MPH in winter,,  lottsa open uninhabited ground, but I can think of better places. The western region in the Black Hills is pretty. But because of the Sturgis rally, a pretty big tourist trap. The the way the rockies are situated,, BRUTAL winters. There is nothing to stop all that brutal arctic winter winds from sailing right across Montana and into the Dakotas, which ends up going clean down into Iowa and Nebraska. . The bad lands are not much at all for actual living.

3. Colorado.   30 years ago, when I worked there,, YES. Nice place everywhere except crime riddled Denver.  I love the states western scenery and hunted western Colorado many years.  Denver is now full of libtards and they rule the WHOLE state.   So no way. Other than scenery,, not much better than komnifornia now. . Libtard heaven. And they are in the speedy process of totally ruining it. Thats what they do.  :bangheadonwall: :bangheadonwall:  They ALREADY ruined it IMO.

4. New Hampshire. A lovely summer & fall state for sure. But due to voting fraud,, now libtard controlled. NO WAY.   Older New Hampshire natives are LEAVING.

5. Virginia ?  Are you freaking kidding me. Crowded, and libtard controlled. The cops act like gestapo. Almost as bad as Maryland.  :facepalm: NOPE. NEVER.

6. Utah. While it has possibilities. Eastern and southern is nice,, MORMON controlled like vice grips,, but nice. I always liked visiting Salt Lake City. The rest is either desert or basic high cost of living due to tourist traps. But it has possibilities. Winters around Salt lake aint bad at all. Summer is pretty good,, unless you head west into the salt flats. The canyon lands in the eastern border are absolutely gorgeous. But land prices are very high.

7. Iowa. Um NO. Nice people. Cost of living aint too bad. But,,, Id like to look at something besides corn fields while Im waiting on the dirt nap.  :thumbsdown:

8. Wyoming. Now were talking. Not much for jobs, but if your retired, why care about that. Gorgeous state from top to bottom, end to end. And the people are great. Down to earth good people. Cold winters, but I could make do. Mark me down.

9. Pennsylvania. NOT bad. Been home home to me all my life. But I wouldnt give a plug nickel for anywhere withing 50 miles of Pittsburgh or Filthadelpia. The northern central 1/2 of the state is sparsly populated mountains, which is were Im at. I like it. Its rural. Only the southern center is worth a tinkers damn below I 80. . Both southern corners,, crime, big citys, and all the fun stuff that goes along with liberal controlled major shit holes. They are just damn near out voting ALL the conservative rural areas by controlling about 5 voting districts in philly and 3 in pitt. If we wouldnt of had a big voter fraud bust 1 month before the election, hilly woulda won. SO this state is real real close to going to complete shit.  And Id probably seriously consider Wyoming.

10. Minnesota.  obummer brought in about 11 million muzzies during his reign as king. Guess WHERE they sent most of em? Michigan and Minnesota. Which diluted the voting so bad, the liberals are now controlling the state of MN. Its all thick brushy woods, swamp,  and flat anyway. Its like Florida,,only COLDER>  :th_thicon_funny:.  I'll PASS>

from 11 to 19,, only northern Arizona or Central to norther Idaho have possibilities. Both are really nice. But Northern Idaho gets a ton of snow, and its pretty cold in winter..

20. TEXAS.  While hotter than the gates of hell in the summer time for me,, Texas aint bad. Id rank it a helluva lot higher than 20. While I always found Texans to be nice, polite, and to the point, ( which I all liked) I had a cousin in Tombal for many years, and I would visit him quite often. Nice area, but no mountains.  I have not been there in alot of years, but imagine its pretty crowded there about now.
Southern Texas is just to hot for me. I ALWAYS hated the summer heat. I spent years running Texas, mostly Houston and Dallas,  but was all over the state.  Amarillo was nicer heat wise. .  Id damn sure rather spend my winters in southern Texas BEFORE Id ever consider the states East of there to Florida.  I could see me moving into the North West regions. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Mexico was ranked 45.  I dont get that. Northern New Mexico along the Colorado border is nice. Not bad winters, decent summer time temps because of the mountains. GREAT hunting & fishing.  It kinda has it all for me. But the natives CAN be a pain sometimes. The two major indian tribes can be easily distinguished. One wants to bum  money to drink,, the other wants to drink and fight you. And neither really like white boys.  :P  The Spanish are also  pretty thick, and not the most friendly bunch if you no es capaz de hablar español.
Which is probably a problem Texans are used to.
 But northern New Mexico is gorgeous. I lived and worked there for almost a year.
I would go,, But Id go WELL armed.  :th_thicon_idea:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Montana has great summers. Gorgeous scenery and great hunting and fishing. I have friends there. But I would NOT retire to a place that has 70 mph winter winds and 25 below zero is quite regular. Sorry MT,, but its just to damn cold there.  :facepalm:

Summers in Montana,, and snowbird  to Texas in winter.
I could live with that.  :thumbsup1:

But until I hit the lotto,, looks like Im stuck in the northern PA mountains, the place of my ancestors since 1850. They built a cabin about 50 feet from my home.

Summers are nice. BAD winters we get alot snow and ice, ( we get lake effect some)  but usually only January has zero weather since thats about when lake Erie freezes over. Our winter temps depend on that. When Erie  freezes over, its like hell froze over. The arctic wind howls outta Canada, and Temps take a nose dive. Which usually happens in January..   Other than January, nov, dec temps are reasonable 20 to 30 ish. Mid febuary it starts warming up. In march we are headin out the other end. Its 50 day and 30 night right now. Thats about normal.

Good hunting, fishing, and mountains with a great view.  I can live with it.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 09:40:21 PM »
Once upon a time I wanted to retire in FL. Now, I am thinking either Gulf Shores, Al (near the FL line) or I will stay here in Texas.

With all my back issues, I am stuck on the Gulf Coast. I can't do cold weather any longer.

I would like to be on the beach, but a nicer one than in Texas.

I spent a week in Gulf Shores over a decade ago, and I loved it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 06:54:06 AM by Shipwreck »

Online Shield45

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 06:43:49 AM »
Texas
Right on this one day.

My10.5 acres just east of Sequin
Slowly working towards that goal now. I have 8-10 yrs so I should be able to have it ready

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Axxe55

• Progressive Reloader
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 06:48:12 AM »
I have retired to where I want to be here in Texas. I had planned probably about twenty five years ago of retiring right where I am, on the family farm. I pretty much decided that when at that time, my father deeded me part of the family farm so I would always have place to call home. East Texas summers can be plumb miserable with the heat, humidity and mosquito's, but all in all, it ain't bad.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline riattta

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
  • NRA RSO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 08:35:10 AM »
surprised Kentucky is last  It must be the health care.  They have a good Gov.   

Offline Ranger99

• 7 Yard Shooter
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 12:41:55 PM »
too bad Texas isn't listed dead last.
i get tired of all the libs moving here from other regions
and trying to re-make Texas into an image of their own failed
state.
Texas was just fine before. it doesn't need to change to suit
anybody.
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 03:07:08 PM »
Texas was just fine before. it doesn't need to change to suit anybody.
What you're saying is ?: 

Offline Axxe55

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 04:32:14 PM »
God Bless Texas, and remember the Alamo!  :rocknroll2:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 08:08:39 PM »
Ok. So up front,, Id like temps about 25 coldest, to 85 hottest.

1. Florida. ? ? ?  Thats the biggest tourist trap in the USA.  And its jammed packed ALREADY. Totally brutal heat in summer,, Hurricanes all winter,, cost of living is just insane. No thanks. Been there. Wouldnt even pick it for a free vacation.

2. South Dakota ? ? ?   Has anyone who voted that actually BEEN THERE ?  :facepalm:
Ive been there alot,,, and that state NEVER crossed my mind. If you dont mind flat lands with a perpetual 50 MPH wind in summer,, 70  MPH in winter,,  lottsa open uninhabited ground, but I can think of better places. The western region in the Black Hills is pretty. But because of the Sturgis rally, a pretty big tourist trap. The the way the rockies are situated,, BRUTAL winters. There is nothing to stop all that brutal arctic winter winds from sailing right across Montana and into the Dakotas, which ends up going clean down into Iowa and Nebraska. . The bad lands are not much at all for actual living.

3. Colorado.   30 years ago, when I worked there,, YES. Nice place everywhere except crime riddled Denver.  I love the states western scenery and hunted western Colorado many years.  Denver is now full of libtards and they rule the WHOLE state.   So no way. Other than scenery,, not much better than komnifornia now. . Libtard heaven. And they are in the speedy process of totally ruining it. Thats what they do.  :bangheadonwall: :bangheadonwall:  They ALREADY ruined it IMO.

4. New Hampshire. A lovely summer & fall state for sure. But due to voting fraud,, now libtard controlled. NO WAY.   Older New Hampshire natives are LEAVING.

5. Virginia ?  Are you freaking kidding me. Crowded, and libtard controlled. The cops act like gestapo. Almost as bad as Maryland.  :facepalm: NOPE. NEVER.

6. Utah. While it has possibilities. Eastern and southern is nice,, MORMON controlled like vice grips,, but nice. I always liked visiting Salt Lake City. The rest is either desert or basic high cost of living due to tourist traps. But it has possibilities. Winters around Salt lake aint bad at all. Summer is pretty good,, unless you head west into the salt flats. The canyon lands in the eastern border are absolutely gorgeous. But land prices are very high.

7. Iowa. Um NO. Nice people. Cost of living aint too bad. But,,, Id like to look at something besides corn fields while Im waiting on the dirt nap.  :thumbsdown:

8. Wyoming. Now were talking. Not much for jobs, but if your retired, why care about that. Gorgeous state from top to bottom, end to end. And the people are great. Down to earth good people. Cold winters, but I could make do. Mark me down.

9. Pennsylvania. NOT bad. Been home home to me all my life. But I wouldnt give a plug nickel for anywhere withing 50 miles of Pittsburgh or Filthadelpia. The northern central 1/2 of the state is sparsly populated mountains, which is were Im at. I like it. Its rural. Only the southern center is worth a tinkers damn below I 80. . Both southern corners,, crime, big citys, and all the fun stuff that goes along with liberal controlled major shit holes. They are just damn near out voting ALL the conservative rural areas by controlling about 5 voting districts in philly and 3 in pitt. If we wouldnt of had a big voter fraud bust 1 month before the election, hilly woulda won. SO this state is real real close to going to complete shit.  And Id probably seriously consider Wyoming.

10. Minnesota.  obummer brought in about 11 million muzzies during his reign as king. Guess WHERE they sent most of em? Michigan and Minnesota. Which diluted the voting so bad, the liberals are now controlling the state of MN. Its all thick brushy woods, swamp,  and flat anyway. Its like Florida,,only COLDER>  :th_thicon_funny:.  I'll PASS>

from 11 to 19,, only northern Arizona or Central to norther Idaho have possibilities. Both are really nice. But Northern Idaho gets a ton of snow, and its pretty cold in winter..

20. TEXAS.  While hotter than the gates of hell in the summer time for me,, Texas aint bad. Id rank it a helluva lot higher than 20. While I always found Texans to be nice, polite, and to the point, ( which I all liked) I had a cousin in Tombal for many years, and I would visit him quite often. Nice area, but no mountains.  I have not been there in alot of years, but imagine its pretty crowded there about now.
Southern Texas is just to hot for me. I ALWAYS hated the summer heat. I spent years running Texas, mostly Houston and Dallas,  but was all over the state.  Amarillo was nicer heat wise. .  Id damn sure rather spend my winters in southern Texas BEFORE Id ever consider the states East of there to Florida.  I could see me moving into the North West regions. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Mexico was ranked 45.  I dont get that. Northern New Mexico along the Colorado border is nice. Not bad winters, decent summer time temps because of the mountains. GREAT hunting & fishing.  It kinda has it all for me. But the natives CAN be a pain sometimes. The two major indian tribes can be easily distinguished. One wants to bum  money to drink,, the other wants to drink and fight you. And neither really like white boys.  :P  The Spanish are also  pretty thick, and not the most friendly bunch if you no es capaz de hablar español.
Which is probably a problem Texans are used to.
 But northern New Mexico is gorgeous. I lived and worked there for almost a year.
I would go,, But Id go WELL armed.  :th_thicon_idea:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Montana has great summers. Gorgeous scenery and great hunting and fishing. I have friends there. But I would NOT retire to a place that has 70 mph winter winds and 25 below zero is quite regular. Sorry MT,, but its just to damn cold there.  :facepalm:

Summers in Montana,, and snowbird  to Texas in winter.
I could live with that.  :thumbsup1:

But until I hit the lotto,, looks like Im stuck in the northern PA mountains, the place of my ancestors since 1850. They built a cabin about 50 feet from my home.

Summers are nice. BAD winters we get alot snow and ice, ( we get lake effect some)  but usually only January has zero weather since thats about when lake Erie freezes over. Our winter temps depend on that. When Erie  freezes over, its like hell froze over. The arctic wind howls outta Canada, and Temps take a nose dive. Which usually happens in January..   Other than January, nov, dec temps are reasonable 20 to 30 ish. Mid febuary it starts warming up. In march we are headin out the other end. Its 50 day and 30 night right now. Thats about normal.

Good hunting, fishing, and mountains with a great view.  I can live with it.

DCD , I live 7 miles west of Tomball and have lived here 25 years and have watched the growth explode over the years.
Where I live is still a nice quiet subdivision with a very lax HOA and have well and septic which is very nice.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 08:42:47 PM »
[
[/quote]

DCD , I live 7 miles west of Tomball and have lived here 25 years and have watched the growth explode over the years.
Where I live is still a nice quiet subdivision with a very lax HOA and have well and septic which is very nice.
[/quote]

:thumbsup1:

308Nato,,

From memory, my cousin lived a couple miles north of town and to the west a few miles.
It was a nice place back then. Not built up to thick with houses. But not quite what you would call rural. The houses were maybe 250 yards apart. It was a nice place and he had a gorgeous home. Nice and quiet too.
When I was running Houston all the time, ( about once a week, 3 weeks in a row, then 1 week off. ) 
Actually, I dont remember it being all that hot there .

He worked as a big boss for oil drilling companys in Houston, and lived in Tomball  quite a few years.

I would stop for the evening  and we would grill steaks.  :P

Cousin Ron could grill a pretty mean steak.  :thumbsup1:
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Axxe55

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 08:50:34 PM »
Tomball use to be a really nice area outside of Houston to live years ago. Haven't been through there is some years now. T he Richmond/Rosenburg area would also be nice place outside of Houston as well.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online Shield45

• Gun Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 10:24:00 PM »
[

[/quote]

:thumbsup1:

308Nato,,

From memory, my cousin lived a couple miles north of town and to the west a few miles.
It was a nice place back then. Not built up to thick with houses. But not quite what you would call rural. The houses were maybe 250 yards apart. It was a nice place and he had a gorgeous home. Nice and quiet too.
When I was running Houston all the time, ( about once a week, 3 weeks in a row, then 1 week off. ) 
Actually, I dont remember it being all that hot there .

He worked as a big boss for oil drilling companys in Houston, and lived in Tomball  quite a few years.

I would stop for the evening  and we would grill steaks.  :P

Cousin Ron could grill a pretty mean steak.  :thumbsup1:
[/quote]
Moved to Comal County (outside SA in 76. SAN was just over 500k population. Now at 1.5 million and growing. The NE/NW metro and surrounding are exploding.  I hope 80 or so miles east was far enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Axxe55

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2019, 06:16:08 PM »
One place I would have liked to have retired to was Key West Florida. But I suspect that like many other cities, it has probably been over-run by tourists, and that would be a huge deal breaker for me. I don't like lots of people or crowds anymore.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2019, 08:04:24 PM »
Key West is hard to get to, and the tourism is less than many think.  So are services and other amenities of life.