Author Topic: TV Worth Watching?  (Read 12720 times)

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Ammunition Expert
    • View Profile
Re: TV Worth Watching?
« Reply #160 on: May 24, 2020, 09:38:31 AM »
our new roof was put on over the previous 2 days - but in doing so they (of course) had to "un-do" our Dish and Hughes Net antennas

they got the Hughes Net back in the correct position but not so with the Dish (so, called Dish and there'll be a guy coming out manana to re-align.....bad news is that it's gonna cost me $157 to have that done)

meantime I've researched providers such as Net Flix, Sling, etc.....tried signing up for Net Flix this morning (been wanting to do so for a while) but they're making me get into sign-in/start-up info via  my cell phone - and I, being cell phone challenged, don't know how to do that tech stuff

Wife called from Sao Paulo this morning and offered to "instruct" over the phone but I've got other recordings on my Dish recorder that I can view until she gets home manana (where's that 16 y/o tech kid when ya need 'em ?)

but a question.....requesting opinions as to the best Streaming provider - is it Net Flix ?  thanks

Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 24, 2020, 11:00:41 AM »
Tango, we have had Netflix for some years now. I actually joined Netflix quite some years ago before they got into streaming movies, and would send you a DVD to watch!

We have also Hulu which is pretty good, along with Philo, and CBS Access. We haven't tried Sling since we really don't need or want another paid channel to watch.

You might check out getting a Roku device for your TV. Inexpensive, at usually less than $25 at most places, and they offer LOTS of free channels to watch, plus you can access NetFlix and Hulu on the Roku. We have had our Roku for about seven months now and we are very happy with it.

But NetFlix being the best? We like it, but being the best would be a subjective opinion IMO.

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 24, 2020, 12:38:44 PM »
Tango, when you get your Dish back up see if you have Channel 302. That's Netflix. When HBO dropped their contract with Dish they (Dish) put Netflix on to take it's place.

I'm going to guess that getting CH 302 depends on what Dish tier package you have. I have all the sports channels and all the movie channels except Showtime/Cineamax. It's obscenely expensive but I like my college football and baseball.

If your just a basic subscriber and just get the minimum channels you may not get channel 302 but that's just a guess.

Another thing in case you don't know. Anytime you have Dish tech come to your place to fix something or upgrade your equipment the receipt you sign for work completed could lock you into a new 2 year contract. No big deal if you plan on staying with them but I found this out when I had a new roof put on in January 2019 and needed the dish realigned. Also I don't remember paying a Dish tech anything when they service their own equipment. I would ask them to wave that $157 if your signing a new contract. I would talk to the tech and see whats up. 
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Ammunition Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 24, 2020, 03:28:39 PM »
Tango, when you get your Dish back up see if you have Channel 302. That's Netflix. When HBO dropped their contract with Dish they (Dish) put Netflix on to take it's place.

my Christmas present to myself was a new Samsung 65" (actually it's 67") 4g Smart Tv and in it's menu it shows a Netflix icon (along with all the others) - so, with my Dish being "out" I attempted to sign up for their 30/free offer

had difficulty (because of my cell phone ignorance) so I called Netflix - spoke (quickly) with a very pleasant CS gal who walked me thru the sign-up on my desktop

this'll be great for the Wife and her travels because everywhere she flies there's internet and she takes her Ipad with her on flights

( just as I started to watch my 1st movie a line of T Storms came thru and I lost my Hughes Net Sat internet  :frown: )

so now, I'm asking for recommendations for good movies to watch - already have, on my list :  Extraction, Rocket Man and Bennett's War.....thank you

others would be appreciated
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 04:05:45 PM by Tango »

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 24, 2020, 03:35:42 PM »
Some of the NetFlix Original movies are pretty good. Also if you like documentaries, they have some pretty good ones. Lots of older TV series on there as well. I got caught up on NCIS finally. The Ranch with Sam Elliot is pretty good comedy series.

Online Alte Schule

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 24, 2020, 05:34:36 PM »
Tango it just depends on what you like.  At first I burned through everything that appealed to me. That took a couple of months. Then I began watching things I didn't know anything about based on the on screen information provided and I would research some of the titles on the internet. I can't count the amount of crap I turned off 15-20 minutes into it. Some were pretty damned good though

Mindhunter is a series about how during the 70's the FBI developed their Behavioral Science Unit by interviewing serial killers like Son of Sam, Ted Bundy and Richard Speck. It wanders off point at times but still a pretty good series.

A movie I caught on Netflix that I hadn't seen before was Public Enemies. A pretty accurate account of John Dillinger. Highly recommend if you haven't seen it.

They add and delete titles four or five times a month to keep things interesting.

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 24, 2020, 05:45:12 PM »
Tango it just depends on what you like.  At first I burned through everything that appealed to me. That took a couple of months. Then I began watching things I didn't know anything about based on the on screen information provided and I would research some of the titles on the internet. I can't count the amount of crap I turned off 15-20 minutes into it. Some were pretty damned good though

Mindhunter is a series about how during the 70's the FBI developed their Behavioral Science Unit by interviewing serial killers like Son of Sam, Ted Bundy and Richard Speck. It wanders off point at times but still a pretty good series.

A movie I caught on Netflix that I hadn't seen before was Public Enemies. A pretty accurate account of John Dillinger. Highly recommend if you haven't seen it.

They add and delete titles four or five times a month to keep things interesting.

Mindhunter is pretty good. I'm hoping that they add some new episodes.

Ozark is pretty good. A bit dark, and twisted at times, but pretty good.

I wish they would update Longmire as well. I really liked that show, but nothing is showing up that they plan on putting out any new episodes.

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Ammunition Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 25, 2020, 11:50:06 AM »
I came across "Shelby" on netflix - if you liked "Ford vs Ferrari" you'd like this more factual documentary

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Ammunition Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 28, 2020, 08:04:05 AM »
one other movie I found to be good on Netflix is "the Irishman"

dropping out of Netflix tho - found a lot of buffering during peak usage hours and it's menus not the easiest to navigate (and Netflix is 'sposed to be the best of what's available - no thanks)

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 28, 2020, 02:02:18 PM »
I came across "Shelby" on netflix - if you liked "Ford vs Ferrari" you'd like this more factual documentary

I actually saw that documentary before we saw the movie. It gives a lot of the details and backstory that is the plot of the movie.

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 29, 2020, 02:47:58 PM »
I started a series on NetFlix called "Bloodline" that is getting pretty interesting.

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 03, 2020, 03:10:06 PM »
The wife and i have been watching the limited series on NetFlix about Jeffrey Epstein. Wow!

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Ammunition Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 15, 2020, 02:59:42 PM »
was lucky enough to spot Chariots of Fire (one of my all-time favorite movies) on Turner's channel (commercial free)

just started in now   :th_thicon_idea:

Offline riattta

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
  • NRA RSO
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 16, 2020, 09:13:34 AM »
I have been watching Jack Ryan on Prime  it's pretty good

Offline Axxe55

• Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 16, 2020, 10:05:35 PM »
Just started a new series on NetFlix called Hannibal. Sort of based off the Hannibal Lector movies. So far, it seems pretty good.