Author Topic: ..I love Soup (more in the "I love" series)..  (Read 131 times)

Online Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
..I love Soup (more in the "I love" series)..
« on: March 17, 2019, 08:54:11 AM »
on the 28th of this month (March) my household will be having 2 sets of Guests - 2 guys with whom I attended Grammar School, Junior Hi and Hi School (and their Wives) will be arriving for a week-long visit here on the "ranch"
- after High School we all went our separate ways but have kept in contact via personal visits, reunions, telephone, email and snail mail - both couples will be flying into DFW - one from San Diego (Escondido) and the other from Vancouver, Wa (across the river from, ug.....portland, oregon  :thumbsdown:))

my Wife and I have been busy setting up "stuff to do" to entertain them - the biggest activity we'll be doing is going on "the Mineola Amtrak Wine Train" (an annual fundraiser by the Mineola Chamber of Commerce) - morning Amtrak out of Mineola (with a Hawaiian theme), Wine and Cheese tasting all the way to Ft Worth - overnight with rooms at the FTW downtown Hilton - a visit either Sat or Sun to the FTW Stockyards - lots of meals at good restaurants - and another Wine & Cheese event on Amtrak back to Mineola Sunday afternoon

Also have booked a Caddo Lake tour (sort of a Louisiana bayou sloughs and cypress thicket environment), a somewhat local drive-thru Exotic Animal Park - then for the gals a local Winery Tasting tour and an Azalea/Rose tour in Tyler - at which time I'll take the guys for some ammo burning at the indoor range in Longview

but back to "eats".....so far I'm planning on Rib Eyes w/homemade Horseradish Sauce - I've made some of my #2 recipe for Spaghetti - Sauce for Swedish Meatballs (appetizers out on the back porch, b.s.ing and surveying the back 40), various other exotic/unusual appetizers - what I call "Mexican Breakfast" (green onions, black olives, Corn Tortilla wedges and mixed in with Scrambled Eggs then into the oven with lots of Monterey Jack Cheese, served with a Chunky Salsa - large Fruit Plates with toasted Bagels and for one of the guys and myself.....Smoked Salmon, Cream Cheese and Capers on plain Bagels

we'll supplement eating here with eating "out" - we won't go hungry

but for years I've been bragging to one of the two guys about my Texas Corn Chowder (the actual name but I call it "Corn/Crab Chowder) and he's insisted that I make it during this visit (any excuse to do so is a-ok with me)

2 small Onions, coarsely chopped
3 Red & 3 Green Bell Peppers, coarsely chopped
3 Ribs of Celery, coarsely chopped
1 tblsp Butter
2qts Chicken Stock
1 box Niblets Frozen Corn Kernels
1 Bay Leaf
1 tsp Basil
1 tsp Thyme
1 cup raw Potatoes - diced 1/4 in cubes
1 1/2 qts Heavy Cream
1/2 lb Crab Meat (3 or 4 King Crab legs - torn into bite sized pieces)

Process Onions, Bells & Celery in a food processor (don't over-process).  Saute results in a large saucepan with the Butter.  Add Chicken Stock, Corn, Bay Leaf, Basil & Thyme.  Bring to a simmer and cook for about an hour or until reduced by 1/4.  Stir in Potatoes and continue to simmer until tender.  Stir in Heavy Cream.  S & P to taste.  (a little Corn Starch may be added to thicken, if needed).  Stir in Crab Meat and serve (with Sweet Corn Bread)

note :  anything other than the meat from King Crab Legs would be spinning your wheels and ruining this recipe

I'll be starting this this morning, sans the diced Potato (which I'll cook in Chicken Stock and add the day of serving the Soup) and the Crab which I'll add then also

this is absolutely the best Soup I've ever tasted
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Online Tango

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: ..I love Soup (more in the "I love" series)..
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 10:29:49 AM »
this is what 6 Bell Peppers, 2 smallish Onions and 3 Ribs of Celery look like, rough chopped

and this is what they look like after going thru the food processor and starting to Saute

Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline Axxe55

• Professional Target Hanger
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Re: ..I love Soup (more in the "I love" series)..
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 07:22:33 AM »
Is gumbo and etouffee considered soup?
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."