Author Topic: Cartridge of the Week.  (Read 904 times)

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Cartridge of the Week.
« on: March 17, 2019, 03:26:35 AM »
I have done this same idea fro a thread on several forums over the years, and it has always seemed to be of interest to many.

basic premise, anyone can add a different cartridge at any time, and we can discuss it. ideas, thoughts good or bad, opinions, history, or just whatever comes up in the discussion of the cartridge.

i'll start the thread off with one of my favorites, the 280 Remington! i first learned about the 280 Remington probably about fifteen years ago when discussing cartridges based off the 30-06 from my father. now that led to a looking at it's history and its ballistics, and the more i learned, the mre intrigued i became, and thus a search was on in trying to find a rifle chambered in the round. well it took over ten years to find one at reasonable price. hell, it took that long just to find one period! but what i found was an older Ruger M77V, (circa 1978 vintage!) with a heavy 24" barrel. bought a couple of boxes of high priced factory premium ammo to tide me over until i could order brass and dies for reloading. the rifle shot like a dream and was super accurate, even with factory ammo. it was everything i'd thought it would be and more.

now something i really like about the 280 Rem. are the ballistics. handloads can come very close to the 7mm Rem. Mag. and some even call it the 7mm RM Lite! but without the heavier recoil of the magnum cartridge. it's biggest weakness IMO, is that it was never properly marketed, nor did Remington bring it out initially in the proper rifle IMO. they brought it out in the Remington Model 740 and 760, then later brought it out in the Model 721 and Model 725. loaded properly and in a bolt action is where this cartridge really shines and struts it's stuff IMO!

and through the years, it's still been plagued by poor marketing, and had to in some ways compete with the firmly established 270 Winchester which was marketed correctly and had a good head start on the 280 Rem. for a number of years. but IMO, and looking at the ballistics, the 280 Rem. is much better cartridge than the 270 Win. ( i know the blasphemy of saying such a thing. Jack O' Connor is probably spinning in his grave right about now!) and it has suffered also under no less than three different names over the years. the first being the 280 Remington, then at one point they decided to rename it the 7mm-06, but felt that would be confusing for people who did actually own a 7mm-06 and a slight difference in the chamber dimensions, so they tried the 7mm Express, but after a couple of years, there were people confusing it with the 7mm Rem. Mag. so back to using 280 Remington. rather confusing identity crisis for the cartridge!

reloading i find the cartridge does well with a wide variety of powders and bullets. and IMO, because it's a 7mm, it has a much better selection of bullets and even heavier bullets available than the 270 Win. it's essentially a 0-06 case necked down to accept a 7mm caliber bullet, but has the neck pushed forward, so to prevent accidentally being able to be chambered into rifle in 270 Win. this cartridge has excellent muzzle velocity and muzzle energy, just under those of the 7mm Rem. Mag., but without the heavier recoil. and if you want to step up it's game a bit, you can even ream the chamber out and go with the 280 Ackley Improved, which boost the velocity and energy which almost duplicates the velocity and energy of the 7mm Rem. Mag, but using less powder and lighter recoil.

i have become a huge fan of the 280 Rem. and frigging love the round. it has become one of my favorites now. i have a huge soft spot for the 7mm caliber, but this is my favorite of them all. now i don't believe in such a thing as perfect cartridge, but IMO, the 280 Rem. is one excellent cartridge that can be very versatile for a variety of hunting applications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.280_Remington

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P.O._Ackley#Wildcats_and_Ackley_Improved_Cartridges

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.280+Remington.html
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
Re: Cartridge of the Week.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 10:54:40 PM »
I agree the 280 was never marketed properly. And it didnt have its own jack O'Connor pushing it either.

When I grew up PA deer hunting in the early 70's,, outdoor life was still a thing. And many a story of Jack O'Connor was read. And at that time, he was pushing the 270.
Guys were grabbing up 1903's and 98 mausers and having them chambered in 270 with a Douglas barrel. I even have a few from Uncles that gave them to me.

As kids, ( age 8 to 12)  we ALL started out with an old family Winchester lever action .32 win spl.
Then came time to "graduate".  :thumbsup1:

The holy grail here for deer rifles back then was to have an 1903 Springfield in 30-06.
( I have 6 - 1903's  right now  :th_nuts:   :th_thicon_funny:
But I bit and also bought a 270 win, then started stacking them up too. 

I love them both, and have several of each in both calibers.

But there is no reason the 280 should not be more popular as its got great ballistics.
I know guys that use them,, same as I use 270 & 30-06,, for everything from varmints to Elk. They can all 3 do it ALL.  And do it well. 

I just think it being a caliber between the already established 270 and 30-06 has really gave it some stiff competition. And also agree that poor marketing didnt help matters either.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 11:18:31 PM »
If there were a cartridge I did despise, it would probably be the 270 Winchester! And yes, I do own one too. I have even given much thought of taking mine, (Remington Model 700) and re-barreling it to a 7mm Mauser chamber.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 11:53:47 PM »
Ive thought many a time for many a year about taking an 1903 action and having one built into a different caliber.

The real problem is when I find a nice low mileage 03 with a beautiful tight action, , it ends up shooting to well, and I dont have the heart to chop one up.

Thats like sacrilege to me.  :facepalm: 

Ive got a .Winchester model 70 in .270 WSM,, so there is really no reason to do that.
Even with that hard hitting long range tack driver, I still use the 30-06 and .270 win for elk.

Never had a problem. Every one Ive shot has been dropped in one shot at ranges out to 650 yards.

Its ALWAYS been my theory,, that if you can hit what the hell ur aiming at,, you DONT need an artillery piece.

My Brother has a 300 ultra mag. I dont even like shooting that damn thing. It kicks like a mule and I DONT flinch, and DONT want to get to flinching either . ( Like most of the guys I know that use those big magnums,,, they cant hit shit.  :facepalm:  )

Some guys can handle it,  and do great. But thats actually not a very common thing from what Ive seen.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 06:44:05 AM »
Ever since I was about 15 or 16, I have had a rifle in 30-06. Over the last thirty years or so, I seemed to always end up also having a rifle in 270 Winchester as well. Even as much as I despise the cartridge, for some reason there always one sitting in the collection for some strange reason. The current one, was just one of those too good to pass up deals! about 8 or 9 years ago, I picked up a Remington Mod. 700 in 30-06 as a project at a local pawn shop. It was cosmetically challenged to say the least. I only paid $175 for it, and worst case scenario, the action alone was worth that to me. I picked it up to replace a Mossberg ATR100 in 30-06 I had done some trading with just recently. Well, I went ahead and started cleaning the old rifle up and getting her ready.

Skip forth about five or six months later, and lo and behold, at the same pawn shop, I ran across another Remington Mod. 700, that was practically the twin of the one in 30-06 I had bought prior to it. This one was in 270 though, and of course for the paltry sum of $150, I couldn't pass it up, since again, worst case, the action was well worth that to me! After getting it home and tearing it down to do some cleaning, and inspection, I also researched the SN's on them. The 30-06 was dated as being made in 1967, and the 270 was dated as being made in 1969. Both were wearing old, identical Bishop walnut stocks. Both looked like some one had laid the clear coat on with the roughest brush that could be found. I was able to salvage the checkering on the one in 30-06, but not the one in 270. I cleaned both up, refinished them and worked up loads for each. Both are extremely accurate rifles.

Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline DCD327

• Progressive Reloader
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 02:36:59 PM »
WOW.  :afraid4:    Nice job there AXXE.  :thumbsup1: Those are sweet.

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 02:45:49 PM »
WOW.  :afraid4:    Nice job there AXXE.  :thumbsup1: Those are sweet.

Thank you DCD. Those Bishop walnut stocks had some really beautiful wood underneath the crappy clear someone put on them in the past. Because I couldn't salvage the checkering on the 270, I re-contoured the grip and the butt on it a bit. That is the one I might possibly re-barrel to a 7mm Mauser.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 11:04:56 AM »
One of my favorite cartridges of some recent years, the 7mm-08 Remington. I remember when they brought this out in the very early 1980's and really was intrigued by what I was reading about them at the time. At the time, unfortunately, most of the rifles chambered in the round were usually out of my price range and budget. But jump forward some years, back in about 2010, I had just recently bought a Marlin XL7C in 25-06, and noticed they had an XS7 sitting there in the rack as well. I had such great luck with the XL7C in 25-06, that about two weeks later, I went ahead and bought the XS7 in 7mm-08. Was very impressed with it's accuracy and the recoil was very gently as well.

Now since that fateful day, I ended up adding reloading dies and took to loading several handloads, that pretty much all turned out to be very accurate. Even the least accurate of loads worked up, were still quite acceptable for hunting purposes. From my own reloading and shooting experiences, and from what I have read from others, it's just really hard to come up with a bad load for this particular cartridge.

What I have gathered in my experiences with shooting and reloading, is the 7mm-08 is just one of those almost perfect cartridges. Very accurate, hard to come up with a bad handload, very easy to reload, gently recoil, and excellent ballistics for hunting, for a junior or veteran hunter.

My Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08 was the second of the 7mm calibers I added to the collection, and I do dearly love shooting it. It even moved past one of my all-time favorites, my 7mm Rem. Mag in being shot even more than it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7mm-08_Remington
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 06:28:13 AM »
this weeks cartridge of discussion, the 30-30 Winchester.

what a fine old cartridge. been with us since 1895. went by a few different names in the beginning, the 30-30 Winchester, 30 Winchester Smokeless, 30 WCF and just plain old 30-30.

claimed for many years as one of the most used cartridge used to hunt and harvest deer with. may still be for that matter. it is considered one of the better choices for those young hunters graduating to a centerfire rifle for deer hunting, due to it's lighter recoil. it is an enjoyable cartridge to shoot and reload for.

majority of the rifles chambered in 30-30 Win. are usually lever actions with tubular magazines which is why the majority of factory loads are using round or flatter pointed bullets, to prevent bullets from setting off the primer of the next round, and causing catastrophic failure of the rifle. Hornady addressed this with coming out with new bullets that were pointed, but using a polymer type tip to prevent that from happening, but also increasing it's accuracy, and range from using a more streamlined bullet. there are some who shoot the Thompson Contender pistols, and using better bullets because they are a single shot pistol.

some people have said the 30-30 Win. should have died a quick death years ago, because it is considered obsolete by modern standards compared to more recent cartridges that are commercially available. yeah, it's an old cartridge design, that's over 120 years old, but it's popularity pretty much dictates that it's far from being obsolete. if a hunter does their part, it will not fail to put meat in the freezer by any means.

the 30-30 Winchester even became the parent case for a couple of variants and some wildcat rounds based off of it. the 219 Zipper, using a 22 caliber bullet was offered many years ago as factory chambering, along with the 25-35 Winchester, using a 25 caliber bullet. and then there was the wildcat, the 7-30 Waters, that even for a short period was offered as factory chambering by Winchester in the Model 94 rifles. pretty much a 30-30 case necked down to accept a 7mm caliber bullet. which bullets in 7mm caliber are usually superior in ballistics than those in 30 caliber of the same weight. there were also some other wildcat and variants that were less common or popular as well. another variant based off the 30-30 Win. at the same time it came out was the less popular 32 Winchester Special. just a 30-30 necked up to accept a 32 caliber bullet. it just never caught on like the 30-30 did, and by the late 1950's Winchester quit offering rifles chambered in the round. comparison side by side with the 30-30, ballistics are almost identical using the same weight bullets. the problem was very limited availability at the time for 32 caliber bullets compared to 30 caliber bullets so reloaders were limited in what they could do with it. so with limited available bullets and near identical ballistics, the 32 Win Spl. just never gained any real popularity. it's still a decent cartridge, and can do just about anything the 30-30 is capable of doing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-30_Winchester

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.32_Winchester_Special

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.25-35_Winchester

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.219_Zipper

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7-30_Waters
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline RaySendero

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 09:27:55 AM »
Never had a 30-30.

Brother has 1 that he reloads 130 Speer SPFN for deer.
Says he like the higher velocity he can gets for deer hunting.

Wife claimed a nice 30-06 that followed me home from deer camp some yrs ago.
Had a steel butt plate.
So I reload for her a 150gr just over a 30-30 velocity.
She shoots it well and performs very well on deer.
Ray

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 10:35:26 AM »
I have a lever action Winchester 30-30.  Sharper recoil than Boomer but "Dead Nuts Accurate"  / 1 MOA at 100 yards with iron sites.

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 02:34:35 PM »
The 30-30 has in over a hundred years since it was introduced, taken it's fair share of deer in probably every state.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online Shield45

• Can Pass the CHL Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 08:11:44 AM »
Great hunting rifles.
Have 3 model 94 Winchesters levers.
One a 1933 model was grand dads. Well worn stick and bluing and that rifle has taken many a deer.
Dads one I have is a 1957 variant also shows its use and has shot it share of deer as well.
Third one I bought in 80s from a friend in meed of money he had shot it maybe 10 times I gave him 50 bux for it. It is still in like new as I use the other two mainly.

Great rifles good round and being a fairly light rifle toting it around the bush all day is not to bad.

30-30 will still be around in another 100 yrs Id bet.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 04:53:09 PM »
Great hunting rifles.
One a 1933 model was grand dads. Well worn stick and bluing and that rifle has taken many a deer.
Dads one I have is a 1957 variant also shows its use and has shot it share of deer as well.
Third one I bought in 80s from a friend in meed of money he had shot it maybe 10 times I gave him 50 bux for it. It is still in like new as I use the other two mainly.

Great rifles good round and being a fairly light rifle toting it around the bush all day is not to bad.

I too think as long as guns are around, the 30-30 will certainly live on for at least another 100 years. From what I have seen, I don't think it will become obsolete any time soon. It's just a great cartridge that does nothing really spectacular, it just does it's job given it's limitations.

I happen to have inherited a set of 32 Winchester Special dies from my father, so one day, I do hope to add a Model 94 in that cartridge to me collection, some day. Now unless I'm mistaken, Winchester stopped chambering the 32 W.S. in about 1958 or 1959 IIRC. The 32 W.S., if you look at it in a comparison to the 30-30, even though it's a slightly larger caliber, using the same bullet weights, it's ballistics are near identical. So in the real world, there is no advantage for the 32 W.S.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online Shield45

• Can Pass the CHL Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 05:32:29 PM »
Great hunting rifles.

I too think as long as guns are around, the 30-30 will certainly live on for at least another 100 years. From what I have seen, I don't think it will become obsolete any time soon. It's just a great cartridge that does nothing really spectacular, it just does it's job given it's limitations.

I happen to have inherited a set of 32 Winchester Special dies from my father, so one day, I do hope to add a Model 94 in that cartridge to me collection, some day. Now unless I'm mistaken, Winchester stopped chambering the 32 W.S. in about 1958 or 1959 IIRC. The 32 W.S., if you look at it in a comparison to the 30-30, even though it's a slightly larger caliber, using the same bullet weights, it's ballistics are near identical. So in the real world, there is no advantage for the 32 W.S.
Never really heard of the 32WS.
I do enjoy my 30-30s however.
Havent hunted with them in yrs but shoot them now and again.
Last time I took dads out finally fired some rounds he had that had been in and out of that gun lots o times. Dad hadnt hunted with it since the late 70s.

They worked just fine btw. 

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2019, 06:47:45 PM »
Great hunting rifles.

Last time I took dads out finally fired some rounds he had that had been in and out of that gun lots o times. Dad hadnt hunted with it since the late 70s.

The 32 Winchester Special was introduced in 1901, just a few years after the 30-30 Winchester. It's parent cartridge was the 30-30 case. Just essentially a 30-30 necked up to a 32 caliber. (.321) If comparing the two side by side, using the same bullets and weight of bullets, the MV and ME are nearly identical in reading the ballistics. The 32 W.S. offers no advantage over the 30-30 that I can see.

Now some may argue that the 32 makes a larger hole, but given the ballistics, I think they are grabbing at straws in that argument!
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online Shield45

• Can Pass the CHL Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2019, 06:59:53 PM »
Great hunting rifles.

The 32 Winchester Special was introduced in 1901, just a few years after the 30-30 Winchester. It's parent cartridge was the 30-30 case. Just essentially a 30-30 necked up to a 32 caliber. (.321) If comparing the two side by side, using the same bullets and weight of bullets, the MV and ME are nearly identical in reading the ballistics. The 32 W.S. offers no advantage over the 30-30 that I can see.

Now some may argue that the 32 makes a larger hole, but given the ballistics, I think they are grabbing at straws in that argument!
Interesting. After a quick read understandable why it never caught on.
Thanks Axxe. Always good to learn a little sumpin.

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2019, 07:24:01 PM »
Great hunting rifles.

Interesting. After a quick read understandable why it never caught on.
Thanks Axxe. Always good to learn a little sumpin.

You're welcome. Several of the ammo manufacturers still off the ammo for the 32 W.S., but usually it's special or limited runs since it's not a hugely popular cartridge anymore. Even Winchester dropped in about the late 1950's from what I have gathered. I want one simply because my father had one many years ago and reloaded for it, so I happen to just have an old set of reloading dies for the cartridge. The 32 W.S. isn't a bad cartridge by any means, it just didn't offer anything that the very popular 30-30 didn't already deliver, since the two are nearly identical.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Online Axxe55

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2019, 10:34:10 PM »
I also think one of the downfalls of the 32 Winchester Special was for reloaders, there just wasn't a vast selection of bullets in 32 caliber as there were for 30 caliber. Even today, there still isn't the selection available for 32 caliber. This IMO dies limit the reloader when it comes to reloading for the 32 calibers.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline RaySendero

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 07:31:20 AM »
Weird how Winchester introduced  the 32 WS.
They had to know it would have to compete with the 30-30 Win?!
It like competing with themselves??!!

Now Remington tried to compete introducing the 30 Rem in 1906.
Essentially, a rimless version of the 30-30 Win.
Even 30-30 handloads could be used in a 30 Rem.

Ray