Author Topic: Tacticool Timmy Wants To Shoot Long Range!  (Read 3823 times)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Trophy Husband! Just ask my wife!
    • View Profile
Re: Tacticool Timmy Wants To Shoot Long Range!
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2019, 06:16:52 AM »
And another one that I read by some self-proclaimed sharp-shooter some years ago, that had me laughing so hard.

This guy was making claims of shooting, and hitting, coyotes at over 600 yards, with his Mosin-Nagant rifle with open sights.

I replied to him, "Carlos Hathcock would be proud of such shooting!"  :th_nuts:
He responded with, "Carlos who?"

YEAH,, you know,,,, E.J. Lands  buddy,,,,,,,  :thumbsup1:.

Edward James "Jim" Land. One of Carlos Hathcock's commanding officers in Vietnam. Also, served as Secretary of the NRA for many years.

:thumbsup1:   LMAO.  You coulda really screwed with that guy,,,, :th_thicon_funny:  had you not been laughing so hard.   :th_thicon_lol:

Mr Land was also a collector of 1903 Springfield rifles.  :thumbsup1:

I read an article about him several years ago in American Rifleman. Not only was he a collector of 1903 Springfield's, he is also a collector of Marine Corps sniper rifles all the way back to WW1. He has an extensive collection of some very rare Marine and Army sniper rifles, with the their very equally rare scopes of the various eras. The article had many great pictures included. It was very impressive collection.
Misguided Miscreant!
North of Hell, and South of Heaven. Texas, by God!
"It is far better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees."
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."
"Go ahead, make my day." Dirty Harry. (Carries a 44 Magnum. Nuf said.)

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2019, 06:20:51 AM »
And another one that I read by some self-proclaimed sharp-shooter some years ago, that had me laughing so hard.

This guy was making claims of shooting, and hitting, coyotes at over 600 yards, with his Mosin-Nagant rifle with open sights.

I replied to him, "Carlos Hathcock would be proud of such shooting!"  :th_nuts:
He responded with, "Carlos who?"

Next time try "Vasily Zaytsev", who actually used a Mosin to kill 200+ combatants.

Wasn't he the one the movie "Enemy at the Gates" was made about?

Yes sir. Some facts, but lots of literally license in that movie.

Short of being a documentary, I usually assume most movies as such, are going to have some historical inaccuracies. The German sniper, the major sent to hunt him IIRC, was not entirely factual.

All in all, it was still a pretty good movie, that was well done.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.
"I have one nerve left, and it seems there is that one idiot that feels the need to get on it."

Offline Ranger99

• Owns a Gunbelt
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2019, 03:02:11 PM »
my personal motto is "hunt your own hunt and let me hunt mine"

unfortunately, too many 21st century "hunters" have been schooled
by "hunting " videos and t.v. shows.
all you hear these days is "age this one" or "looks like a book deer"
and "live from the stand". to me, every second you diddle with your
phone is a deer you missed seeing. you'd be as well off and more
comfortable in your recliner at home.

i could care less. i'm more impressed by someone that can kill a deer
close enough for it to smell your armpits. the "best" kills i've had
were at spit-in-it's-eye range. i've killed as many with $50.00
pawn shop single shots and $20.00 pawn shop bows as with expensive
gear. i've killed quite a few with 15 cents worth of powder and a round ball.
i say if you want to hunt from a 2x4 in a tree fork, or off a high rack
just do it and have fun as long as what you do is ethical and legal.
if you want to hunt from a half mile away, just make damn sure you
can make the one shot kill.
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 04:46:11 PM »
I hunted under the philosophy my uncle taught me about deer. "I don't hunt for horns. No matter how much you boil them horns, they never get tender enough to eat!"

Due to time constraints, family life and working out of town quite a bit, hunting took a huge back seat over twenty five years ago for me. And I dearly loved to hunt deer, squirrels and rabbits. But as I was taught from an early age about hunting, if you killed it, you cleaned it and put it in the freezer to eat. The only thing I cared about the horns, was if there was enough of them for the deer to be legal to shoot.

On a side note, I do prefer deer meat for my famous chili recipe!  :wave1:
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2019, 12:50:10 AM »
Lifted this post for a thread from the other day. Another "Tactical Timmy". LOL!  :th_thicon_lol:

Just out of pure curiosity do y'all have a favorite sniper rifle and if it comes equipped with a scope which one do you use the most? Thanks in advance

How hard is to drill into some of these idiots, that unless a person is a "sniper" as his designated job description, in the military, or LE, there is no such thing as a "sniper rifle". For all of us civilians and anyone else for that matter, "sniper rifle" doesn't exist. It may be a long-range precision shooting rifle, or an expensive target rifle, but it ain't a sniper rifle! Idiots.

It's bad enough we as gun owners have to fight with the anti-gun liberals over definitions of various firearms and such, but when another gun owner is perpetrating more of the fallacies, it sure makes things more difficult for the rest of us.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2019, 09:43:26 AM »
Lifted this post for a thread from the other day. Another "Tactical Timmy". LOL!  :th_thicon_lol:

Just out of pure curiosity do y'all have a favorite sniper rifle and if it comes equipped with a scope which one do you use the most? Thanks in advance

Some speciality regiments or squads use "Special Applications Scoped Rifle" or "SASR", but that's not necessarily a "Sniper Rifle".  Many claim Boomer is a sniper rifle, but that's only been true once, when a former Navy Seal was on it.

And from a 'famous / infamous' sniper perspective, Lee Harvey and Vasily Zaytsev used rifles that many / most contemporary shooters consider to be cheap junk...  And Carlos Hathcock used an M2 with a scope, hardly a "sniper rifle", except in his hands.

"It's the *driver*, not the *vehicle* that make the rifle".

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2019, 10:16:41 AM »

Some speciality regiments or squads use "Special Applications Scoped Rifle" or "SASR", but that's not necessarily a "Sniper Rifle".  Many claim Boomer is a sniper rifle, but that's only been true once, when a former Navy Seal was on it.

And from a 'famous / infamous' sniper perspective, Lee Harvey and Vasily Zaytsev used rifles that many / most contemporary shooters consider to be cheap junk...  And Carlos Hathcock used an M2 with a scope, hardly a "sniper rifle", except in his hands.

"It's the *driver*, not the *vehicle* that make the rifle".

Exactly. I also take offense any time the media uses the term "sniper" to describe a murderer just because he used a scoped rifle to do his killing from afar. Idiots like those on that other forum, just further enforce it for them when they do the same.

A real sniper has spent years perfecting his skills of shooting, as well as woodscraft, concealment, and reconnaissance. They have very special skills that serve a very specific purpose, in the military and LE. IMO, using the term so flippantly is a huge disgrace and service to those who do such a job with distinction and honor and use those skills to save lives.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline DCD327

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2019, 12:16:15 PM »

I hope nobody actually answered that troll  question.  :facepalm: 

I used to see questions like that all the time on another forum. It was slowley invaded by obvious liberals trolling for cannon fodder.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2019, 12:33:08 PM »

A real sniper has spent years perfecting his skills of shooting ...
  and millions in training, equipment and infrastructure. (fixed it for ya')

Anyone with a bb gun can 'want' to be a sniper.  But if you look at the qualities and abilities required for success, it's a very, very, very small group. 

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2019, 01:00:37 PM »

I hope nobody actually answered that troll  question.  :facepalm: 

I used to see questions like that all the time on another forum. It was slowley invaded by obvious liberals trolling for cannon fodder.

Believe it not, most of the answers, were very similar to the ones being given here. Now some guys were actually showing some of their real vintage or authentic military sniper rifles in pictures. But for the most part, pretty much that unless a person is doing the job as a sniper, it's not a sniper rifle, but just a glorified target rifle.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2019, 01:08:07 PM »

Anyone with a bb gun can 'want' to be a sniper.  But if you look at the qualities and abilities required for success, it's a very, very, very small group.

Exactly TXAZ. You can teach just about anyone that is willing to commit the time to be taught and willing to put the time on the range to shoot accurately at long distances, but very, very few can learn the skills of being a true sniper. And very few ever attain that level of skill. The shooting part of being a sniper is a critical skill of being a sniper, but it's also just a very small part of the skill set that makes a person a sniper.

As a friend of mine that is a former Marine, who tried out to be a sniper, (And my buddy is an excellent shooter.) explained to me. Being a sniper isn't a profession you choose to take on, it's profession that chooses you to be a part of.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2019, 04:31:48 PM »
I worked with a Marine Recon Scout sniper and an Army Ranger sniper for different projects. Wow, those guys are amazing. BUT...... Waiting in a cramped / crappy / marshy / hidden location for a week for (*) to show up, or taking 3-4 days to move 3 miles doing a belly crawl without being detected, pull the trigger *only once* then exit the same way / time without being detected is not how I'd like to spend my week.

The Ranger noted that he quit shooting at targets less than a mile away (after he was shot through the Achilles) as some of the better opposition marksmen with 7.62 x 54 rounds were still deadly at 1500 yards. (He carried a .50 BMG AND .308 with ammo for both.)

Offline Ranger99

• Owns a Gunbelt
  • God bless Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2019, 02:19:15 PM »
i didn't see mentioned ( or maybe missed it ) where that
real military snipers don't take "potty breaks" while on a
mission. if there's any "potty" work to be done, they do it
the same they did when they were a year old, 'cept mama
ain't there to fix it
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee,
Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2019, 09:10:37 PM »
i didn't see mentioned ( or maybe missed it ) where that
real military snipers don't take "potty breaks" while on a
mission. if there's any "potty" work to be done, they do it
the same they did when they were a year old, 'cept mama
ain't there to fix it

It depends upon the mission. But yes, I have read that on some, if they have to go, they just soil themselves and deal with it later.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.

Offline DCD327

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2019, 11:53:19 PM »

When I was in the army, we shot a bunch, and it would turn into a base competition.

In our company of 250 men,  only two, 2, .of us could hit 40 out of 40 on the 400 meter pop up range with an m16 A2. 
This went to a battalion shootoff, then a division shoot off.

The top 2 winners of the division (12,000 men ) shoot off, were recomended for scout sniper school and could apply.

And even then, that didnt mean they would be accepted or pass those test.

But Imo,  it wasn't entirely fair either since there is alot of difference shooting open sights and a scope.

Personally, I was deadly to 600 yards with a 3006 or 270. With an 18x scope, I could put all 5 in an 8 inch bill. But I never really perfected my skills beyond that. Although I have shot elk and deer to almost 700.

I've shot 1000 yards on a range before,, but there is a bunch of science involved. It's hard to do even if a guru hands you a rifle  built to shoot 1000.

A couple weeks ago, I had a guy ask me to sight his 22 250 in for 250 yards. I zeroed it for 50 yards. He had a 4x scope. I  just told him there was no use trying to even zero it at 250 with that scope, because you can't get a good enough sight picture with a 4x at that range the get an accurate zero.

Bottom line, you gotta be able to see what your trying to hit imo.
Maybe others can do it, but I need to see the bull to hit it consistently. Anything else imo is just guessing. I told him to go get a 3 x 9 Nikon and I'd put it back on the bench for 250 yards.

I kinda got a deer in the headlight look.

Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Axxe55

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2019, 02:00:11 AM »
Shooting precision long range is difficult. Once you get past about 500 yards, the difficulty level increases a bunch. Things that weren't a big factor at 500 yards or less, become big factors at 500 yards and beyond, and become even bigger as the distances increase.

As a friend of mine, a former Marine told me years ago, being a sniper isn't a career choice a person makes, it chooses the person.
Misguided Miscreant!
Remember the Alamo.
NRA Member. TSRA Member.